ATMOS - Request! Would you buy new speaker if SONOS would release new playbar??

• 15 November 2017
  • 34 replies

Userlevel 1
  • Contributor I
  • 5 replies
Just trying to figure out how to engage Community to push sonos for atmos implementation.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

34 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Not sure if this would really bring any major benefit without new players as Atmos benefits primarily from driving a 7+1(or 2)+2 ceiling speaker configuration and at present Sonos supports a Playbar/Playbase + 2 surrounds + Sub at best.

With the current hardware available support for a DTS codec would be much more beneficial but as you'll see throughout the forum this doesn't look like it will happen soon. 😞
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
I agree with UKMedia, I'd rather have DTS support. I just got my 5.1 setup this year, so I think I can live without Atmos for a while! 🙂
Userlevel 2
I'm going to buy new 4K HDR TV in spring and if they won't release new Playbar with Atmos and DTS support, I am gonna buy other sound system and slowly phase out my Sonos sound system, and pass it to someone else.

It simply makes no sense - Netflix supports Atmos, Apple TV 4K will as well, why anybody with top quality TV would buy Sonos Playbar?

Would definitely buy new playbar if it had Atmos, DTS and would allow connected bluetooth headsets so I could listen through headphones late in night to not wake anybody.
I currently have 4xPLAY1. As soon as Sonos supports DTS and Atmos, I will buy a PLAYBAR, and another PLAY1 for 5.1 surround. I won't make this purchase until there is at least an announcement that it will work on today's hardware. I can't throw out my 5.1 setup unless I know the PLAYBAR will be able to play audio from Netflix without downconverting to stereo.

If there's not an announcement by CES this year, I'll likely stick with my current speaker and upgrade my big clunky receiver to get Atmos support.
I’m wondering when Sonos will figure out they need to offer in Wall/in ceiling speakers. I’m actually prototyping my own ceiling mount for such a thing now.
I really like Sonos and whenever I need a speaker then I always look to them first. This is why I was so disappointed when I was looking for in-wall speakers and they don't have something like that.

I definitely hope that they will release more products and if they were to release a new playbar, I would totally get it. Same goes for in-wall or in-ceiling speakers.

For interest sake, I decided to go with Bose Virtually Invisible speakers . I am still waiting for the delivery but hopefully, it won't disappoint.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I really like Sonos and whenever I need a speaker then I always look to them first. This is why I was so disappointed when I was looking for in-wall speakers and they don't have something like that.

I definitely hope that they will release more products and if they were to release a new playbar, I would totally get it. Same goes for in-wall or in-ceiling speakers.

For interest sake, I decided to go with **** ********

This is just a blatant advert. One post from a new account and you are promoting a poor competitor!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I'm sick and tired of not having a portable Sonos speaker. Whenever I take my cats for a walk I do like to have some really good music (My cats prefer Classical when walking and Jazz when hunting). I'm forced to carry a portable generator in my back-pack and because Sonos REFUSE to make a wireless pair of headphones I can only hear really loud music.

Also. Why is it that Sonos won't play my Mac computer sounds? My Play 3s are literally right behind the screen and now matter how much tinkering or setting changes I make they simply refuse to play my computer audio. When I watch one of my favourite Dr Sandra Lee zit popping videos do I want to hear the sounds on my crappy iMac speakers? Of course not! I want to be able to hear them all over my house.

And another thing. Why can't I index my 1 million songs? That's just dumb

I've spent nigh on £3,000 and if I don't see an improvement soon - No more updates, there's too many, the current app is rubbish. And why can't I control the system with hand gestures? It works with my wife? - I'm trashing the lot and I'm going to move to Antarctica AND I'm going to make myself sick.

So there!
I suspect that voice control of their range (starting with the Play One) is consuming most of their time at the moment, but Atmos support would definitely be on my wish list, with the idea being I could start with a basic configuration and add speakers. By basic, I'm talking about a couple of Play 5's in a stereo (music) / Atmos (theadtre) configuration. The specs for the Play 5 tell us that it uses 6 amplifiers for the 6 speakers. If that's true and all amps can be individually controlled, I'd imagine there would be all kinds of trickery possible to produce immersive sound. After all, there are already Atmos sound bars on the market so it would seem ceiling, rear, etc. speakers are not essential for Atmos.
https://www.reddit.com/r/LinusTechTips/comments/7hkr0g/sonos_wireless_hifi_speaker_system_part_1_and On the verge of selling my playbar myself... Thanks!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I think a Connect like device that creates an Atmos Sonos network would be a big seller. They would probably need a Play:Atmos speaker though as well.
Userlevel 7
I’m wondering when Sonos will figure out they need to offer in Wall/in ceiling speakers. I’m actually prototyping my own ceiling mount for such a thing now.

As far as prototyping your own ceiling mounts you may want to visit Amazon.com :8 Unless you have a revolutionary design.
Userlevel 7
Just trying to figure out how to engage Community to push sonos for atmos implementation.

I've seen this same request/question elsewhere in the Sonos Community. Sonos aside I don't believe many actually understand what is required for a Atmos setup. Maybe everyone should read-up on it at the link below which may answer questions not only about Sonos integration but any speaker array:

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technologies/dolby-atmos/dolby-atmos-home-theater-installation-guidelines.pdf
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I currently have 4xPLAY1. As soon as Sonos supports DTS and Atmos, I will buy a PLAYBAR, and another PLAY1 for 5.1 surround. I won't make this purchase until there is at least an announcement that it will work on today's hardware. I can't throw out my 5.1 setup unless I know the PLAYBAR will be able to play audio from Netflix without downconverting to stereo.

If there's not an announcement by CES this year, I'll likely stick with my current speaker and upgrade my big clunky receiver to get Atmos support.

I'm not aware of any video streaming service that supports anything higher that a Dolby Digital Plus at present. I have a substantial investment in an AV Receiver and Mordant Short speakers, in additional to my Sonos set-up, and love listening to good film sound tracks in DTS and Atmos but only from physical disks.

I've seen this same request/question elsewhere in the Sonos Community. Sonos aside I don't believe many actually understand what is required for a Atmos setup. Maybe everyone should read-up on it at the link below which may answer questions not only about Sonos integration but any speaker array:

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technologies/dolby-atmos/dolby-atmos-home-theater-installation-guidelines.pdf

Thanks RJ40, that Dolby guide says:

---
Integrated speakers
You can select integrated Dolby Atmos enabled
speakers that include both traditional front - firing speakers and
upward - firing speakers in a single speaker cabinet or in - wall
configuration .

---

Now, where have I seen an upward firing speaker? Oh yeah, the Play 5 here:

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2015/10/sonos-makes-a-play-to-reconquer-your-living-rooms-music/

Seems they are so close...Does anyone know if Atmos requires additional silicon, or can it be done in the firmware?
Userlevel 2

I'm not aware of any video streaming service that supports anything higher that a Dolby Digital Plus at present. I have a substantial investment in an AV Receiver and Mordant Short speakers, in additional to my Sonos set-up, and love listening to good film sound tracks in DTS and Atmos but only from physical disks.
netflix has lots in Atmos
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

netflix has lots in Atmos

Sorry wasn't aware as I don't have an Xbox One or One S.
push
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
I won't purchase another Sonos product until they offer support for modern hd-audio formats. Calling this a "home theater" solution is laughable without the inclusion of Atmos, DTS, Master Audio.
Please
Is it not the case that regardless of all these old, new and wonderful formats that even though sonos does it things “it’s own simple way” .. are the results not sufficient? I know I am currently still trialing my Playbar, but regardless what is thrown at, regardless of how it’s converted down to the playbar, it sounds bloody good. I have an old Pioneer LX03 with 5.1 that I switch between to compare. You know what, the Playbar sounds cleaner, with more depth - all regardless of having surround sound and all manner of names such as DTS, Dolby Digital, Etc lighting up as it would on my LX03.

The only reason I am thinking of returning it at the moment is because they might update it .. but even if they do, they’ll need to update the Playbase; but that was only recently released. So people who bought that are not going to be too happy.

Also as bad as some of you believe optical is. All new TVs deliver Dolby Digital and DTS through there fine. Sonos can take this and present it in its own way to deliver a great sound. It’s Atmos today, but really.. how many people who buy a playbar are interested in 7.1 or beyond sounds? Maybe just a few percent. Here in the UK houses are small, not like the huge houses in the US. Same all through Europe. Not many need anything beyond a playbar in truth. It delivers better sound than the TV. THAT is the point behind it! I have a Sony A1 UHDTV and it has some pretty decent sound delivery through the screen. But the Playbar is still way better.

I just don’t want to buy it now and they introduce a new one next month. That’s all. But if they do, they need to change the Plsybase .. then perhaps everything else with HDMI and God knows what. It’s going to start to look messy. Sonos was about simplicity.
Badge
All I want for Christmas is a new updated connect (ConnectHD?) that allows you to connect digital sources via HDMI and decodes dolby/atmos/dts/MA-HD/LPCM as well as wirelessly, AptX/airplay/chromecast for playback on existing Sonos speakers, as well as perhaps a new PlaybarHD that can do height channels via DSP and be combined with existing sonos speakers for rears/surrounds.
I expect it will just be socks though.
All streamers are going to be supporting everything you throw at them, why SONOS doesn't jump ahead is ridiculous. Their argument that their customers only stream is also ridiculous. The day I bought my playbar i also made sure to buy a frickin bluray to have best quality possible. Its ridiculous to drop almost 2k on a living room full of sonos to not have features i'd get in a $200 receiver (at least for DTS anyhow). If you only support DTS or some form of atmos with 5.1 systems that'd be fine. I'll definitely be waiting to upgrade other viewing rooms until full support is available.
All streamers are going to be supporting everything you throw at them, why SONOS doesn't jump ahead is ridiculous. Their argument that their customers only stream is also ridiculous. The day I bought my playbar i also made sure to buy a frickin bluray to have best quality possible. Its ridiculous to drop almost 2k on a living room full of sonos to not have features i'd get in a $200 receiver (at least for DTS anyhow). If you only support DTS or some form of atmos with 5.1 systems that'd be fine. I'll definitely be waiting to upgrade other viewing rooms until full support is available.

But the question is, the sound that it delivers already, is it not sufficient? I mean, thrown all your DTS and God knows what else that is down converted somehow somewhere along the way, but are you so unhappy with what you actually hear? What do you actually want to hear that is so different than you already hear? Will the dialog be crisper, will the surround effects be cleaner or more special. Do Sonos need a playbar that delivers anything other than it already delivers.
I was looking at a high quality retailer in the UK (John Lewis) and their most popular selling soundbar is .. Sonos Playbar. Given all the hoo-hah from reading here about how everyone wants Atmos, DTS.. do the numbers really support this?

https://www.johnlewis.com/browse/electricals/dvd-blu-ray-home-cinema-soundbars/soundbars/_/N-7htc?intcmp=cp_ele_dvdbluray_smbl1_top_soundbars_x261017

There are many soundbars listed. Bose is currently out of stock but even when it wasn’t, it was knowhere in its listing to Sonos.

I just wonder if a lot of you are actually aware of the actual marker and what the majority of people want. If people were that bothered about the latest buzzword then it would show in the listings of popularity. It shows Sonos IS exactly what customers want and remains top selling without the need to be the latest to list features the majority care little about.