Answered

Arc microphone constantly turns off and off by itself

• 15 August 2023
  • 97 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

97 replies

Badge

Interesting that your mic problem just recently started w/ a year old arc system

just shared your comment w/ the sonos L3 tech person working on the arc mic muting issue 

It’s sitting on a console and yes, it’s in the top right.

Thanks - just thought it worth checking, as sometimes these type of things get missed. 👍

I’m baffled by the cause, as normally a replacement device has immediately solved this extremely rare type of issue in the past. I guess it’s going to be down to the Staff to find the answer to this one.

Badge +4

It’s sitting on a console and yes, it’s in the top right.

Thanks - just thought it worth checking, as sometimes these type of things get missed. 👍

I’m baffled by the cause, as normally a replacement device has immediately solved this extremely rare type of issue in the past. I guess it’s going to be down to the Staff to find the answer to this one.

I just spoke to customer service and they’re refusing to look at Hogan1’s diagnostics without his permission, even though the easiest way to resolve this would be to look at both arcs and see if there’s a commonality causing it. Sonos CS is so bad that it makes me just want to return everything. I don’t see how it’s a privacy issue to look at diagnostic reports.

GDPR can be troublesome. 

I just spoke to customer service and they’re refusing to look at Hogan1’s diagnostics without his permission, even though the easiest way to resolve this would be to look at both arcs and see if there’s a commonality causing it. Sonos CS is so bad that it makes me just want to return everything. I don’t see how it’s a privacy issue to look at diagnostic reports.

I dunno either? - I guess you might have to keep pushing things forward with your own issue/reports for now. Hope you get it sorted.👍

Badge +4

GDPR can be troublesome. 

But they must look at collective data to fix issues. It would be too hard to diagnose problems looking only at individual devices. If everyone is having the same issue, doing the same thing, then it creates a precise means of fixing an issue.  

Badge

all

my sonos level 2 tech support person has given up. he gave me this link to the next level of tech support. 

i have an telephone appointment next monday

try this

https://support.sonos.com/s/schedulecxappointment?language=en_US&ServiceTerritoryId=0Hh8V000000oz14SAA&CaseId=5008V00001eQz41&AppointmentTemplateId=0VS8V000000gTZGWA2

oh yeah, i have 1 2023 LG OLED tv not visio,

We had the same issue with our brand new ARC. If you delete Alexa from the speaker, it stops. At least mine did.  Tv 83” Sony Bravia OLED.   

Badge

where did you buy your arc?  

how long ago?

my issue happens with and without any voice control

We had the same issue with our brand new ARC. If you delete Alexa from the speaker, it stops. 

Well, assuming that was the only voice assistant it would. The mic would be deactivated.

Have the same issue, Arc connected to an LG C3 OLED via eARC, tried Alexa, Google Assistant and Sonos Voice Control but the mic switches itself on and off constantly, have spoken to Sonos customer care, diagnostic report sent, the response was, this is very rare, never heard of it before and theyll replace the arc. Very frustrating.

Badge +4

johnnydrama32

what’s the serial numbers of the 2 microphone challenged arcs that you got from sonos?

mine r:

The ones I got from Sonos are from 6/23 and 7/23. 

The Best Buy one is from 6/22. And I'm guessing the guy who just posted is going to say his is from 6/23 or 7/23 when he looks at the serial.

Badge +4

We had the same issue with our brand new ARC. If you delete Alexa from the speaker, it stops. At least mine did.  Tv 83” Sony Bravia OLED.   

Deleting the voice control is a little ridiculous since you're paying extra for that. They were selling Arc Shadows at Costco for $400. Only difference between them and ours is voice control. Unfortunately, only certain Costcos have stock.

I turned off the voice assistant in the app and hasn't happened in 2 hrs. Agree this isn't the answer but at least the annoying chiming is gone for the time being. Sounds like a software update of some kind is in order.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@Jonnydrama32 Just to try and narrow this down another level, are you able to remove SVC and briefly install Amazon Alexa on the Arc to rule out an SVC issue?

Badge +4

I turned off the voice assistant in the app and hasn't happened in 2 hrs. Agree this isn't the answer but at least the annoying chiming is gone for the time being. Sounds like a software update of some kind is in order.

I don't see how it can be software when two of mine do it and one doesn't but they're all on the same software.

Badge

the problem is in the lg tv’s eARC 

when the sonos arc is disconnected from LG eARC, the  microphone on/off problem goes away.

the tv’s internal alexa is turned off.   the “HI LG” tv feature is turned on.

Badge +4

@Jonnydrama32 Just to try and narrow this down another level, are you able to remove SVC and briefly install Amazon Alexa on the Arc to rule out an SVC issue?

I could. SVC works fine on the eras connected to the same surround. The issue is the on/off is impossible to recreate with regularity. When I first turn on the Sonos to play something, it can take an hour or two before the issue occurs. And then it may happen incessantly for ten minutes. Makes it almost impossible to figure out if you've fixed it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I could. SVC works fine on the eras connected to the same surround. The issue is the on/off is impossible to recreate with regularity. When I first turn on the Sonos to play something, it can take an hour or two before the issue occurs. And then it may happen incessantly for ten minutes. Makes it almost impossible to figure out if you've fixed it.

Yep, understood.  I have the Arc and two Era 300’s as sounds and normally the Era 300’s answer a voice request, I must admit I haven’t checked that the mic on my Arc isn’t behaving the same but I’m not aware of it doing so.  I’ll monitor closely over the weekend.

Badge

johnnydrama32

just wanted to confirm that the arc from best buy is from 6/22 (last year) and sonos are 6/23 and 7/23 (this year)

Badge +4

Yep, understood.  I have the Arc and two Era 300’s as sounds and normally the Era 300’s answer a voice request, I must admit I haven’t checked that the mic on my Arc isn’t behaving the same but I’m not aware of it doing so.  I’ll monitor closely over the weekend.

If I just turn off voice assistant on the Arc, will this issue go away? It's not the biggest deal since my eras have it, though I think the product should work as described.

I have the same problem, but it only started when I down loaded the Alexa app and activated voice control 

"I think the product should work as described”.

It should ...and the Arc/mic does work fine in my own setup. However it seems no one here can rule out it being a hardware problem or conflict, in your case, at this moment in time. Only a couple of reports here in the main community and Sonos have likely sold many tens of thousands of them since the Arc was first released in June 2020… I would expect many more complaints here if they all had a similar fault.

I have both Alexa and SVC installed on the Arc here, but mostly use Alexa. It’s connected to an LG C9 OLED TV, but I can’t see the type of connected TV as being relevant here, all things considered. 

I would persist with supplying diagnostic data to Sonos Support, including any videos of the issue too.

Badge +4

johnnydrama32

just wanted to confirm that the arc from best buy is from 6/22 (last year) and sonos are 6/23 and 7/23 (this year)

Yes, exactly. Best Buy has the older one that works correctly. Let me know if you also get one outside of Sonos and it fixes the issue.

Facing the same issue here with Google assistant.