Answered

Arc microphone constantly turns off and off by itself

• 15 August 2023
  • 97 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

97 replies

Badge +4

I’ve just tried the switching process with Alexa…

"Alexa, play some music” - music plays and the mic stays on.

“Alexa, switch to TV mode on Living Room” - Arc switches to TV audio and mic stays on.

I repeated the above steps and the mic never goes off, stays on all the time.

Next I repeated the above with SVC

“Hey Sonos, play some music” - SVC responded “As you like…” (or ding earcon tone) and music plays and the mic stays on.

“Hey Sonos, switch to TV mode on Living Room” - Arc switches to TV audio and mic stays on.

The mic never goes off in my case.

So I was unable to reproduce the issue described.

Thanks for doing this. Since I have two Sonos-direct Arcs as does Hogan, and all four have this issue, it's pretty clear they have a QC issue. It's pretty damning that the Best Buy one I bought today cannot recreate the mic issue, nor can the one you own. I'm not even sure what to ask Sonos to do about it. If I ask for another replacement, I'll likely get another one from the same batch.

Do you have pets?

Badge +4

Just to add as far as these Support articles (below) are concerned there is no voice instruction to switch off a microphone on any Sonos product…

Here are the available SVC instructions…

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/list-of-voice-requests-for-sonos-voice-control

Here is some further information about Alexa and the basic instructions you can use with that assistant…

https://www.amazon.com/Sonos-Inc/dp/B072ML3N6K

And just for completion, here are the Google assistant basic instructions… 

https://support.google.com/assistant/answer/7539710

No signs of anything that switches off a Sonos microphone and I’ve never seen it happen here. Maybe best to video the issue and pass that onto Sonos Support Staff next week and perhaps accompany things with a diagnostic report too. 

Hope you can get the issues resolved. 👍

I have lots of video and diagnostics, but this has to be a hardware issue if Hogan and I got ours at the same time and all four have the same issue. 

Badge

Same issue here. Arc arrived yesterday. Today started randomly saying Mic on, Mic off.

I called support and he got me to do a diagnostics. Immediately said it showed a problem with the mic, and I had to wait on the phone while he spoke to someone else. Came back to me and confirmed it's a hardware issue with the arc and I would need another replacement as there is no fix possible. Also said that it's a known issue.

So at least we have confirmation from Sonos that there is a known hardware fault with the Arc, maybe a bad batch that is causing this issue.

He said he couldn't say how long a replacement would take, once they collected the faulty unit. This is really bad.

This is my second Arc in a week. First one arrived with a dent on the end cap part of the bar, which looked like a defect in manufacturing, rather than a transit dent, if that makes sense. Returned that unit for a refund.

The Sonos guy also said, hopefully third time lucky. Which isnt what I want when spending thousands on a premium products with Sonos.

Debating whether to return the arc, sub and ones and go elsewhere. Just down to Sonos and their CS response really. What am I supposed to do, keep paying out £900 a time to get faulty products, then sending them back for refunds hopefully within 30 days, in the hope that eventually I get a good one.

Badge

no pets

off/on problem began happening on 2 arcs right out of the box.

does anyone have any ideas why my beam (gen 1) does not have  this off/on problem?

Hi, the workaround seems to be disabling the touch controls in settings. This worked for me anyway…

Not exactly a solution though.:)

Opened a ticket went through the troubleshooting process. However, I noticed that after disconnecting the sub the issue with the mic was not longer happening, as soon as I added the sub back the issue started again. They decided to send me a replacement unit. 

So, for people having the issue can you try removing the sub (if you have it)? 

no pets

does anyone have any ideas why my beam (gen 1) does not have  this off/on problem?

Both Sonos Soundbars should work for you. I’ve seen mic issues reported before (albeit a long time ago), but even then, only very (very) occasionally in threads here …and often a replacement device, or repositioning the Soundbar has sorted the issue. I think you need to return to Sonos support and maybe even video the issue and provide the Support Staff with the evidence gathered. Then see if they can assist you to resolve the issue.

Badge +4

no pets

I am in the EXACT same situation. I had an Arc that had this issue right out of the box, and I just received a replacement with the same issue. I have Sonos Voice Assistant activated, and at random intervals I hear the mic on/off tone. It doesn’t matter whether I’m using the TV sound or just playing music, same result. I’ve hard reset the device, to no avail.

Since Sonos is saying they’re unaware of the issue, would you be willing to share your diagnostic codes with me? I’ve also logged a number of them and am hoping that if both of us complain about the same issue with firm records, we’ll get a better response.

Out of curiosity, what TV do you have? I have a 2018 Vizio P-F1 with arc (not e-arc). I haven’t disconnected it from the TV, but I’m guessing I’d have the same result since the issue persists when I’m just playing music (and it sounds like you’ve already tried this).

I did have one thought I haven’t tried yet and I’m wondering if you did. When I swapped my Arc for the replacement, I used the same power cable that was connected to my original Arc. I’m wondering if maybe there’s something wrong with that and I should try swapping in the replacement power cord to see if that changes anything.

What has Sonos support said to you thus far in terms of troubleshooting?

Yes, it does rather sound like a faulty batch as @ratty mentioned earlier - but perhaps see what the Support Staff may say when you provide them with the data next week. I guess they’ll need to investigate the matter and come back to yourselves.

Badge

Same issue here. Arc arrived yesterday. Today started randomly saying Mic on, Mic off.

I called support and he got me to do a diagnostics. Immediately said it showed a problem with the mic, and I had to wait on the phone while he spoke to someone else. Came back to me and confirmed it's a hardware issue with the arc and I would need another replacement as there is no fix possible. Also said that it's a known issue.

So at least we have confirmation from Sonos that there is a known hardware fault with the Arc, maybe a bad batch that is causing this issue.

He said he couldn't say how long a replacement would take, once they collected the faulty unit. This is really bad.

This is my second Arc in a week. First one arrived with a dent on the end cap part of the bar, which looked like a defect in manufacturing, rather than a transit dent, if that makes sense. Returned that unit for a refund.

The Sonos guy also said, hopefully third time lucky. Which isnt what I want when spending thousands on a premium products with Sonos.

Debating whether to return the arc, sub and ones and go elsewhere. Just down to Sonos and their CS response really. What am I supposed to do, keep paying out £900 a time to get faulty products, then sending them back for refunds hopefully within 30 days, in the hope that eventually I get a good one.

Just to update. Appears definitely a touch control hardware issue, as if I turn off touch controls in the app all is fine. If I enable touch controls it's also fine until I start playing music. I wonder if vibration is causing the switch to be activated. If I remove the assistant obviously the mic is disabled and all is fine.

I didn’t test SVC, but confirmed that Alexa still works with touch disabled (as long as you disable touch while the mic is still on).  Downside is that this workaround disables touch for the entire room - both Eras and the Arc.

Badge

johnnydrama32

what’s the serial numbers of the 2 microphone challenged arcs that you got from sonos?

mine r:

Moderator edit: removed serial numbers - it’s best not to share these.

Badge +4

Update: I spent three hours on the phone with Sonos CS today. What an awful experience. One department doesn't do everything, so I was constantly put on hold or transferred.

I started with T2 support, explained the QC problem, sent this thread, and laid out that it's a hardware issue. They agreed to let me return the original Arc and the replacement, but said I'd need two new return labels since I was initially only returning the first Arc I two labels. But getting them to provide these two new return labels has been akin to scaling Everest. I still don't have them.

I also asked that they let me keep the Best Buy Arc but give me the same 15% discount I received on the Sonos-direct Arcs. The T2 CSA said that would be fine, but then he transferred me to sales, who told me I must've misunderstood. At this point I was determined because I had no return labels or discounts, but had already spent hours of my time. I waited out three hours and finally got a supervisor who said that she would try to coordinate with both the returns dept and sales dept, but it'd take a few days because the depts are separate and don't always communicate.

In short, the CS was horrible. I don't have a way of returning my two Sonos-direct Arcs. I didn't get a discount on the Best Buy Arc. And I wasted 3 hours of my time. But the good news is they are now aware of the mic on/off issue and have sent my diagnostics up to T3 along with my video evidence.

I'm on the verge of returning everything given the horrible support. They're so thankless. We diagnosed a problem that could cost them millions if they keep producing Arcs that need to be recalled. I am so sick of these companies with overseas CS with overseas supervisors. Even the T2 tech support was a call center. For a luxury product, Sonos has been anything but a luxury experience.

Did you ever figure out this issue? I am experiencing the same thing. I have a Sonos Arc hooked up to an LG C1 TV via HDMI eARC, and am using Alexa as my voice assistant. When audio is coming from the TV, I hear the microphone turning itself on and off. It happens randomly, usually every few minutes though.

Badge

ken

i have been on the phone/e-mail end of contact ad nauseam with sonos level 2 tech support since monday.  he has been sharing all data with his support tech team.

johnny drama32:

update

47424320  - major off/on’s with associated clicks every couple of seconds.  just sent sonos diagnostic.  had to remove sonos assistant because the clicks were way too annoying 

see below for original draft of my reply:

how long have you had your arc?

i have seen this same problem on reddit sonos forums that are over 3 years old

1520451136,1507668416 and1288322289 -  recent diagnostics. sonos has a lot of “real time” diagnostics that they have performed

i have a 2023 lg  oled tv w/ eArc.

when i only play music (w/out hdmi), i also have same off/on issue

i used the new power and hdmi cords that came with the replacement arc to no avail

so far, i have been interacting w/ sonos support every day.

new arc, tried repositioning unit, turning off all smart home and security devices to no avail

set up my old sonos beam (gen 1) ~12 inch’s below arc.  - no off/on problems!

i think sonos support  is running out of ideas…

Badge +4

It’s so perplexing that others aren’t having the same issues regularly. The chances of both of us getting two broken units seems unlikely. Interesting that we both have Vizio TVs, but if it’s doing it without being connected, seems unlikely to be the issue. However, did you ever try hard resetting the arc without connecting it to the Vizio and seeing if the problem persists? Just throwing this out there, but maybe once it’s set up with the Vizio, it has created certain settings in the arc (like volume control) that continue to affect the mic even if you then disconnect it and only listen to music or connect it to another tv. Kind of a shot in the dark, but the fact we both have Vizios is curious.

I guess another test could be bringing the arc to someone else’s home and seeing if you have the same issue. Then you could narrow it down to a wifi issue or something to do with the way power is affecting the unit.

I have an easy fix in that I have the era 300s, which also have voice assist. I can just turn off Voice Assist on the arc if I wanted to, but the product should work as described.

How are you connecting with T2 tech support? Did they give you an email? If so, maybe I could connect with the same person.

Here are my diagnostic codes if it helps:

Having the same issue. Just received my arc this week.

Will try contacting Sonos support to have it replaced, not looking forward to it based on some of your earlier experiences…

Badge +4

From purely a Sonos perspective, the only way that the mic can turn off is if the Alexa integration is broken at some point or someone presses the Mic button.  What model TV do you have?

This can’t be correct because nobody is touching my mic and I have the Sonos voice assistant and am having the same issue. 

I take it that if you toggle off the mic hardware switch (top right-hand-side), the issue goes away, but have you perhaps tried toggling the mic hardware button off/on a few times in case it’s just got itself stuck slightly at some kind of in-between position?

I've been having the same issue for the past month or so on the Arc only (have a Beam in another room). Purchased over a year ago and no issues until recently. Just found this thread last night so will try disabling the Alexa voice assistant to see if that works. I have an older Panasonic TV with the Arc connected via HDMI Arc. 

I don’t think toggling it makes it go away. It automatically turns off and on regardless. I think if voice assistant is turned off, the problem goes away. The guy in this thread turned off Alexa voice assistant. I was using Sonos voice assistant but getting the same problem. 

The only thing I can think of is 1) between the two of us we got four broken units, all with the same issue (read: unlikely) 2) there’s something about the device being connected to a Vizio that is causing the issue, and the issue may persist even after being disconnected from the TV once it’s been set up that way. Nothing else makes sense.

It sounds like a hardware fault, but what are the chances of getting two faulty units?… can’t say I’ve known that happen to two different people …and I’ve seen others here with a Sonos Arc and Vizio TV’s and no mic issue, so it is certainly baffling.

Sorry to ask this, but can you just perhaps confirm that the mic on/off toggle switch and mic LED  is on the upper right hand surface of the Arc, as it has been known in the past where users have installed their Arc the wrong way up - so I’m just ruling out that perhaps being the case here.

Mine was doing the same, can you disable it though the Sonos app ? 

I just removed the voice assistance, it looks like you can't disable the Mic it from the app. Also, try tapping into the Mic button on the bar but it doesn't work. 

This is something Sonos should resolved. I will be opening a ticket soon. 

Badge +4

It’s sitting on a console and yes, it’s in the top right.