Skip to main content
Answered

Sonos Ace audio swap on android

Why is there no option to use the Sonos ace audio swap on android?

This doesn't require any calibration or microphone. Why have you not added this to the app yet and more importantly when will you?

The headset is great, but you have serious software issues.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

50 replies

I recently bought a Sonos Ace, just to figure out it’s almost useless without a newer soundbar. Today I bought a Arc. I use android and found it wont work. Just thrown a lot of money out the window. And NO I'm not going to by some Appel-products, I better quit all my SONOS devices.

I recently bought a Sonos Ace, just to figure out it’s almost useless without a newer soundbar. Today I bought a Arc. I use android and found it wont work. Just thrown a lot of money out the window. And NO I'm not going to by some Appel-products, I better quit all my SONOS devices.

If you borrow an Apple device, you can set up the Ace/Arc switching.  After that, it will work regardless of the device you are using to control it.  Just long press on the function key on back of the right earphone to switch the Arc audio to the Ace and back. 

If you borrow an Apple device, you can set up the Ace/Arc switching.  After that, it will work regardless of the device you are using to control it.  Just long press on the function key on back of the right earphone to switch the Arc audio to the Ace and back. 

Thanks. But I will never touch a Apple device.

Thanks. But I will never touch a Apple device.

I understand.  

Userlevel 1

@Mr. Bloch I feel your pain and it is a shame that Sonos continues to discount Android users; especially now with new flagship phones like the Pixel. That being said fortunately I was able to borrow my step-daughter’s iPhone once again (like I did with Trueplay) just long enough to setup the headphones. Other than the occasional toggling of Bluetooth off/on on my Pixel to detect the headphones the audio-swap with my Arc works great with just a long press of the Content button on the back of the headphones. I must say the sound quality coming from a good Dolby Atmos 4k Blu-ray over WiFi from the Arc to the headphones is nothing short of spectacular… worth every penny I paid for them. If you can swallow the pill of temporarily confiscating an iPhone to take advantage of audio-swap trust me you won’t be disappointed even with a good streaming Atmos movie.

If Sonos wishes to continue down this path of iPhone first I think it might behoove them to change the name of their company to something like… “iSonos”... just sayin’ :).

@jgatie I feel your pain and it is a shame that Sonos continues to discount Android users; especially now with new flagship phones like the Pixel. That being said fortunately I was able to borrow my step-daughter’s iPhone once again (like I did with Trueplay) just long enough to setup the headphones. Other than the occasional toggling of Bluetooth off/on on my Pixel to detect the headphones the audio-swap with my Arc works great with just a long press of the Content button on the back of the headphones. I must say the sound quality coming from a good Dolby Atmos 4k Blu-ray over WiFi from the Arc to the headphones is nothing short of spectacular… worth every penny I paid for them. If you can swallow the pill of temporarily confiscating an iPhone to take advantage of audio-swap trust me you won’t be disappointed even with a good streaming Atmos movie.

If Sonos wishes to continue down this path of iPhone first I think it might behoove them to change the name of their company to something like… “iSonos”... just sayin’ :).

I think you mean @Mr. Bloch.  I was able to borrow an iDevice also. 

Userlevel 1

Corrected the name. Thanks.

totally agree with everyone here. The main reason i got these headphones of any other bluetooth headphones was to listen to TV and if this was clear upfront that would probably be fine. I bought my pair yesterday and also wasted 40 + mins trying to make this work. I love them as headphones but this is BS. Thats not what was advertised

Userlevel 1
Badge

Yup! I already sent mine back. Will maybe buy again once they add android functionality. I'm so pissed w Sonos I'm looking into alternative options, but I'm DEEP in the Sonos ecosystem so it's going to be hard. 🤦

Hello. Please hurry with this. I want these headphones for this feature. Thank you. 

I am furious. I bought the Ace headphones to complement my system and watch TV without disturbing my neighbor late at night. I am an Android person and they DON’T WORK with my Sonos system!!! These headphones have been out for several months, and they still do not work for Android users. You do not launch a product (Ace headphones) if the software to support them does not work. To assume everybody uses an iPhone is ridiculous. iPhone may have 58.81% of the US market however Android has 70.93%. I wrongly assumed that I could not use the convenient swap button on the headphones but could still swap with Android with the app until the Android issue was solved. “Soon” is also not an answer as to when it will be available on Android. I feel deceived and blown off by Sonos. As a customer with 8 Sonos speakers already with plans to expand I am reevaluating. I am returning the headphone and doubt I will repurchase whenever “soon” becomes a reality. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

I am furious. I bought the Ace headphones to complement my system and watch TV without disturbing my neighbor late at night. I am an Android person and they DON’T WORK with my Sonos system!!! These headphones have been out for several months, and they still do not work for Android users. You do not launch a product (Ace headphones) if the software to support them does not work. To assume everybody uses an iPhone is ridiculous. iPhone may have 58.81% of the US market however Android has 70.93%. I wrongly assumed that I could not use the convenient swap button on the headphones but could still swap with Android with the app until the Android issue was solved. “Soon” is also not an answer as to when it will be available on Android. I feel deceived and blown off by Sonos. As a customer with 8 Sonos speakers already with plans to expand I am reevaluating. I am returning the headphone and doubt I will repurchase whenever “soon” becomes a reality. 

Yup! Agreed!

I am so frustrated by the lack of this feature! I thought long and hard deciding between Sonos Ace and Bose headphones - shelling out £££ at this level is a once in a long time purchase for me. I have to say I love them - they are comfortable and the build and sound quality is of the level I expect at this price point.

However, not having this feature available on Android sucks, its literally the main reason (other than the sound quality) that I bought them for. “It will be available soon” just doesn’t cut it. 

Sonos could argue that the info that it doesn't work on Android was available on their website for people to read before purchase - but its tucked away on a support page - the kind you read after purchase when you have issues. Nothing on the glossy sales pages up front. 

Not good Sonos. I might be returning these!

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Sonos Ace swap now available for all recent soundbars, using Android. App update as of today...

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Sonos Ace swap now available for all recent soundbars, using Android. App update as of today...

I tried to set it up with my Beam and couldn't get it to work.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Figures

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Reboot the Beam and headphones, and close and reopen the app, (Did you update the app on Monday?)

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Yes, I updated the app- didn't think I'd get the option to set up Audio Swap, if it wasn't an option in the app.

Away from home at present, will double check when Beam is turned back on.

Thanks

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

So app updated, Beam and all speakers have been off for a week, so effectively everything has been rebooted.

Still won't work- Swap button appears on the app, but doesn't work, get the sound of Bluetooth connecting but sound still coming from Beam- and silence from the headphones.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

What are you playing on the Beam when you try to swap? Is it sound from the TV, music via the Sonos app, or something else?

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

What are you playing on the Beam when you try to swap? Is it sound from the TV, music via the Sonos app, or something else?

It's always the TV- I'd never have considered using TV Swap for anything else.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Okay, just checking. If for example someone was (for some reason) Airplaying to the Beam and then tried to swap, I don’t know if that would create this sort of ‘refusal’ to swap.

I’m not sure what to suggest… Presumably you’ve powered down (and up) the Ace? 

What about Settings - Manage - System Updates - Check for Updates, to ensure your Beam is up to date?

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Okay, just checking. If for example someone was (for some reason) Airplaying to the Beam and then tried to swap, I don’t know if that would create this sort of ‘refusal’ to swap.

I’m not sure what to suggest… Presumably you’ve powered down (and up) the Ace? 

What about Settings - Manage - System Updates - Check for Updates, to ensure your Beam is up to date?

Whole system has been off for a week, turned it back on, still the same. All system is up to date. Had a Web chat with support, now waiting for a call back from phone support. They've had me uninstall the app, reinstall it, uninstall Audio Swap, reinstall it.

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Check to see if there is an update for the ACE as well.  It is a separate process from the system update.  

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Check to see if there is an update for the ACE as well.  It is a separate process from the system update.  

Done that. I even told Support I'd done that. They still made me double check.