Question

Sonos Ace audio swap on android

Userlevel 3
Badge
  • Trending Lyricist I
  • 30 replies

Why is there no option to use the Sonos ace audio swap on android?

This doesn't require any calibration or microphone. Why have you not added this to the app yet and more importantly when will you?

The headset is great, but you have serious software issues.

32 replies

Userlevel 1

From their support article;
“The Sonos app for iOS is required to set up TV Audio Swap. Support for Android devices is coming soon.“
https://support.sonos.com/en-gb/article/listen-to-home-theater-audio-on-sonos-ace-with-tv-audio-swap

I’m not sure how long “soon” will be.

Userlevel 2

Super frustrating! I just spent 45 min searching and trying to find where to enable TV audio swap on my new, expensive headphones- finally realized it's simply not there (android). I don't understand why this promised functionality does not exist for android users out of the box.

My two main use cases for buying these headphones were for the system integration 1) watching TV without disturbing others in my house and 2) listening to Sonos radio. Now that I have them, I find out I can't do either of these things. Literally no advantage over less expensive Bose or Sony options right now.

We need a timeframe for adding the advertised functionality- if android TV swap is still months away, I'm going to have to return these- I don't need or want a pair of $450 basic bluetooth headphones.

Userlevel 1

I asked on Twitter and got this response;
“We are taking the time and effort to ensure this feature works seamlessly and meets both our standards and the standards of our listeners. We’ll be rolling this out for Android devices soon.“

Userlevel 2

From their support article;
“The Sonos app for iOS is required to set up TV Audio Swap. Support for Android devices is coming soon.“
https://support.sonos.com/en-gb/article/listen-to-home-theater-audio-on-sonos-ace-with-tv-audio-swap

I’m not sure how long “soon” will be.

This is unacceptable.  Pre-ordering a product that arrives gimped this way with what is essentially the flagship feature is a deal breaker.

Going to try to get an ETA, but without that it's being returned faster that it took me to write this post...

Userlevel 1

All I heard was that TrueCinema would not be available at launch. I never heard any mention of audio swap not being available for Android users at launch. Looks like I missed that tidbit of info. Hopefully they will send out an update soon.

Userlevel 2

Super frustrating! I just spent 45 min searching and trying to find where to enable TV audio swap on my new, expensive headphones- finally realized it's simply not there (android). I don't understand why this promised functionality does not exist for android users out of the box.

My two main use cases for buying these headphones were for the system integration 1) watching TV without disturbing others in my house and 2) listening to Sonos radio. Now that I have them, I find out I can't do either of these things. Literally no advantage over less expensive Bose or Sony options right now.

We need a timeframe for adding the advertised functionality- if android TV swap is still months away, I'm going to have to return these- I don't need or want a pair of $450 basic bluetooth headphones.

Just went through a lengthy session with customer service.  The reason I got was they're trying to fix the new app, and some features had to be delayed in the process but would eventually get rolled out.

That's not good enough for me so I initiated my return (I got not pushback from support beyond many apologies)

Userlevel 2

Actually, I found a workaround in a reddit post. If you have access to an apple device (I used my daughter's iphone), you can load the app and  use it to connect Ace headphones to the Arc and set up TV swap. 

It's a one-time set up, once complete, the apple device is no longer needed- the TV audio swap is initiated using the content button on the Ace headphones. After setup, I deleted the  Sonos app off of my daughters iphone.

I'm watching Netflix with my Ace as I type this on my android phone right now- seems to be working fine.

Link to reddit post:

https://www.reddit.com/r/sonos/s/tQRKxliBK9

All I heard was that TrueCinema would not be available at launch. I never heard any mention of audio swap not being available for Android users at launch. Looks like I missed that tidbit of info. Hopefully they will send out an update soon.

Exactly, although this was listed on thier own website, it wasn't listed on any other page I came across. I still have mine and they are great, but these two features need to be included for android too. I love my Sonos products, but at the same time, I'm fairly frustrated with their continued bias for everything Apple. It'll definitely be a factor when it comes to replenishing my sound system set up tbh. 

Userlevel 2

Actually, I found a workaround in a reddit post. If you have access to an apple device (I used my daughter's iphone), you can load the app and  use it to connect Ace headphones to the Arc and set up TV swap. 

It's a one-time set up, once complete, the apple device is no longer needed- the TV audio swap is initiated using the content button on the Ace headphones. After setup, I deleted the  Sonos app off of my daughters iphone.

I'm watching Netflix with my Ace as I type this on my android phone right now- seems to be working fine.

Link to reddit post:

I live in an "apple free" household so not an option...

I have Android and Apple products so this doesn't bother me much that it isn't ready for Android.  Just borrow someone's Apple and set it up and you're done.  The headphones is nice and feels expensive.  Worth the money!

Userlevel 1

I have Android and Apple products so this doesn't bother me much that it isn't ready for Android.  Just borrow someone's Apple and set it up and you're done.  The headphones is nice and feels expensive.  Worth the money!

I don’t have an Apple phone. None of my friends or family near me have an Apple phone.

I don’t have an Apple phone. None of my friends or family near me have an Apple phone.

Tried it that way. Managed it to set up the swap function with a borrowed iPhone. BUT: after that i could not connect the ACE with the Sonos app on my android device any longer. That really sucks!

Link to reddit post:

I live in an "apple free" household so not an option...

Are you still able to connect your ACE with the Sonos App on your Android device? That didn't work for me after setting up the swap function via iPhone. 

Are you still able to connect your ACE with the Sonos App on your Android device? That didn't work for me after setting up the swap function via iPhone. 

Reconnect the Ace by Bluetooth, then close out the app completely and restart.  It will show up again.

Reconnect the Ace by Bluetooth, then close out the app completely and restart.  It will show up again.

That helped. Thank you!

Just got my aces in the mail. I own 24-25 Sonos products. It's a love-hate relationship bc we are an apple free household as well and android functionality is *. Like bad bad bad. I've posted before about ghost scrolling on Android app and missing tons of features that my iPhone friends have. Sonos doesn't just ignore android users. They actively disrespect us and defy us. I think Sonos wants us to just go away and die. Android has to secure way more market share before they give a * about us. 99% of the time when a company does our Pixel phones dirty like this, I kick them to the curb but I love Sonos so much, I tolerate their blatant shunning of android. BUT, mark my words, if they don't fix this quick, I've got 1 foot out the door bc I've been waiting for these aces for YEARS. Hours spent researching, reading predictions, messaging support. These SONOS ACES feel amazing on my head but if they can't deliver on their promises, I'm ready to jump ship and find a different ecosystem, even if it's inferior. SONOS: DO THE RIGHT THING. WE HAVE BEEN LOYAL AND DEVOTED. BUT NOT FOREVER. WE LEFT THE APPLE CULT AND WE WILL LEAVE YOU TOO. You may not care but after a while, you will bc android users are very, very loyal and invested. 💥

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

Booooooooooooooo! 

Another issue: I tried to use the Trueplay function via Sonos App on iPad. When I press the button "Tuning starten" (start tuning) nothing happens. Perhaps you have a workaround for that issue too.

Another issue: I tried to use the Trueplay function via Sonos App on iPad. When I press the button "Tuning starten" (start tuning) nothing happens. Perhaps you have a workaround for that issue too.

😄

Dear sonos.

If you are supporting different operating systems, the apps should have the same features on all platforms.

It is very boring.

When will tv swap be available on android?

“SOON” is not an answere.

Userlevel 1

Dear sonos.

If you are supporting different operating systems, the apps should have the same features on all platforms.

It is very boring.

When will tv swap be available on android?

“SOON” is not an answere.

Their Q&A yesterday said late summer/early fall.

This means 2-3 month after product release.

So I cannot use the headset for that what I like to achieve.

Pls change your development plan that this will never happen again.

I also want to add my voice to this topic as feel it’s...

A; unacceptable not to have made it very clear to users/customers (old and new) that the sound bar swap option would not be available at launch on Android. I personally ordered and paid 2 weeks before launch and only found out by seeing it was missing from the app.

This was after a large amount of research and reading of of previews/reviews where there was NO MENTION of it. It’s incredibly deceitful behaviour and most unprofessional.

B; Unacceptable to be so vague with information regarding the update

C: Unacceptable not to be able to give an actual date for this update - there surely must be a plan of action that includes a date?

Sadly there’s a part of me that is not surprised with the poor service, having spent nearly 2 years with my Arc Soundbar making very loud and uncomfortable popping noises randomly when using my Xbox. I spent lot’s of time and money (£200 e-arc splitter) trying to solve this issue when it actually turned out to be a software issue that was eventually resolved after enough peoples (thousands) voices were heard.

I love the sound and functionality of my existing Sonos set (Arc. Beam, 4 x Sonos One) which I’ve invested heavily in, but the continued poor service is disappointing to say the least.

I’m afraid I must now add to that that I’m somewhat underwhelmed with the sound experience from the Sonos Ace so far, there seems to be a real lack of oomph, base levels seem very restrained and limited. I was expecting to be blown away sonically given the experience with my other Sonos products, and of course the price tag of these headphones.

VERY Disappointed! I'm returning the 2 sets I received yesterday. First, the app update was and is an absolute disaster, and now this. I wish there were other options like Sonos, I'm looking for one for my new house.  🙏🏼

I need to update my experience with the sound quality of Ace after my comments yesterday - it’s magically so much better and matches my high expectations - why, I can’t explain but here’s what happened…

Having previously paired and listened to Ace via my Samsung phone, including setting up in the Sonos App, I decided to try out dual Bluetooth pairing to my PC as had a call to make. The call experience was great, noise cancellation is truly brilliant for both myself and the person I was calling (there was a crying baby with me at one point that they didn’t hear and was very muted for me), all background noises are totally gone - brilliant.

Following the call, I launched Spotify to listen to some music and was stunned,it was like the volume had been doubled, sound stage widenned and the base, wow the base was deep, full of volume and oh so well defined. I then switched back to my phone and this was also up to the same standard, I’m so pleased and relieved.

Why? I really don’t know - I’d previously checked all sound settings on my phone and Spotify (volume limits/file quality etc etc etc. It made no difference. After connecting to my PC (note PC not Mac!), everything changed and it’s now fantastic.

I wanted to share this experience in case others may be having initial set-up issues - I guess it’s app related?

Back to the app - the other and main point of my previous message, and this thread. PLEASE SORT AUDIO SWAP FOR ANDROID and give us all a date to look forward to that isn't an unacceptable amount of time away.