New app is terrible

Userlevel 3

Don’t upgrade to the new app! The UI is not intuitive and functions that I used, like the sleep function are gone. It’s difficult to play from a streaming service. Couldn’t believe that things could get worse, but they have. The first few years of using Sonos were great, but the last couple of years have been plagued with problems. Don’t understand how they expect to sell products when the app is so flaky and you need to use it to play anything. They should have done more user testing before going live.

33 replies

Userlevel 2

Yes.  The new App is terrible. I can’t find my playlists.  It looks like X-Twitter and BBC, all black.  The interface is terrible.  I upgraded by accident and I regret it.  If it is not broken don’t try to fix it.  Now we all have to learn how to maneuver through this next terrible version of your app. 

Userlevel 1

New app is useless since the upgrade I have been using a third party app which is now much better 

Userlevel 2

DO NOT UPGRADE!  When playing a song from a spotify playlist, and you go from the individual song screen back to the full playlist, it takes you to the top instead of to the song is playing.  This is the most insane thing I’ve ever witnessed.  Unimaginably awful experience using playlists now.  They’re basically unusable at parties

Badge

New app is useless since the upgrade I have been using a third party app which is now much better 

What 3rd party app do you use?

It’s a disaster of an “upgrade”. Can’t see what’s playing half the time, it’s unresponsive, navigation is not at all intuitive. For a company that was so far ahead in this field, and had much love and respect, it’s hard to believe they develop this kind of rubbish and consider themselves “courageous”.

How on earth could they remove the ability to add songs/albums to an active playlist?  That can’t be right, is it?  Is it somewhere hidden and I can’t find it?

Userlevel 1

Incredibly poor judgement by the Sonos executive management team.  Withdraw the highly flawed updated app, reintroduce the previous version or face Class Action remedies. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Thought it was just me but new app is complete junk , it’s a mess to look at ,when you search the app  hangs , wish there was a way to roll back

I fully agree, the new app is useless, slow and missing functionality - is there a source for older version that still work?

Userlevel 1

New mobile app is dreadful. 

Having endless issues with it not finding my system. The desktop app works absolutely no problem and finds the Sonos devices quickly. But the mobile app I have force close and re-open it over and over before it will find the devices. It’s also super super slow, might have to see if letting it run in the background will make it quicker. 

Moving house soon and will bin off my Sonos as I’ve had more and more problems with it over the years. It won’t play any of the local storage media. Yet, using other apps like Roon to Sonos devices plays local storage media absolutely fine no problem. 

I do have ancient Sonos devices to be fair, might be better with newer devices. 

Will be going Wiim Pro Endpoints in different rooms and Roon me thinks. 

I agree new app is completely a mess and very disappointing. I tried to use my Plex plug in which sees my music, but it only plays a song at a time. I can’t opt for popular songs of an artist album collection or anything like that. I can say shuffle all my music albums and that played a song, but hard to say if it would have worked beyond that I didn’t test as that isn’t my preferred use case.  On top of that my main screen didn’t update as the song changed and was stuck even when manually changed to play something else.  
I have heard there was beta testing performed, but this doesn’t align with any software testing I have seen.  Especially with a new app with such huge changes, It should have been fully tested using regression verification of all features. Considering the number of issues being reported I call bs those steps were performed at all. Heck it almost seems like a non Sonos user/developer was behind this code development and lacked product knowledge and or isn’t a user themselves, which seems necessary to be successful.  It just seems like a bunch of interface options that don’t work or are unrealistically limited.  
I personally expected to not like the new app at first. Considering I was so comfortable with the older version, but this new app is just garbage. If all features worked or were improved I would have been open to using it and cast my opinion down the road. This would allow me to adjust and then give it a fair chance once I become comfortable with it.  

To some extent my speakers are now dust collectors as I can only perform limited functions vs what I typically use my Sonos for.  Sonos really dropped the ball this time with the new mobile app and I hope it is fixed soon. 

Userlevel 1

Dear Ms. Maxine Bouvat-Merlin,

Alissa Heinerscheid called.  She said keep up the courageous work you’re doing.

Sorry Sonos - huge fan of everything you've done over the years - until now. The new App is a huge step backwards from the predominantly excellent previous version. I now spend more time navigating the app than listening to music, I usually settle for 'Something’ to listen to rather than what I initially 'wanted' to listen to and to cap it all the app is very ‘buggy’. Either nothing is shown as playing or the previous steam remains while something completely different plays!  Please either fix this abomination or revert to the previous version until you DO fix it. Thank you in advance

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

PURE CRAP

I’m a software developer. How did this app get through QA? Literally the worst app update rollout I’ve ever witnessed. It’s not even functional.

Has to be some weird disconnect between product owner/dev team, UX team and management. It’s bizarre that this was released. A slight tweak to the old app would have been sufficient. I cannot even use my system now. The design wouldn’t be so terrible if it actually functioned. Sometimes I’m scared to turn something because I know I won’t be able to turn it off. Half the time, it won’t come on in the first place. Switching songs on the fly is not user friendly and doesn’t work properly 80% of the time. Either it doesn’t play, plays but screen freezes on another song, becomes unresponsive, etc. 100% of the time it NEVER simply plays seamlessly. Did nobody test this?

I’m always one for positivity and Sonos should be applauded for continually striving to improve their offering at no additional cost to their users however in this case they seem to have lost their way a little and rushed this out before its fully formed. Hopefully the product team monitor these forums and are ‘on the case’ to improve things as quickly as possible.

In the meantime does anybody know if it's possible to ‘downgrade’ your app back to the last ‘working’ iteration? If so, how?

thanks

This is a disaster. I usually stream from my iPhone to one of my speakers and from there on to any other speakers throughout the house. This used to be very intuitive on the old app. In the last two days I only managed to get all spakers to play my streamed music once…

Am I missing something here?

I actually tried to use app since it was updated this week. I see nothing working that didn’t before, 0 improvement. 
so I tried to not use Plex plug in since that totally is one song at a time or by album and choose a stream service. I grouped my desired speakers and to my amazement there was no obvious way to do group volume I had to do each speaker individually. What the hell is going on with this app it is an absolute piece of crap, I just can’t understand how this even got deployed to the public much less all the hype they pushed in advance. This can’t be the same set of individuals that developed the previous app versions, the variance is too profound IMO.  I have been a Sonos fan for 10-11 years now and my boat is taking in water with this disaster of an app. If I weren’t so monetarily tied to the speakers I would consider a competitor this is a total dump taken on customers heads and it was avoidable and unnecessary. A bug is one thing but the whole app is a bug. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

I’m always one for positivity and Sonos should be applauded for continually striving to improve their offering at no additional cost to their users however in this case they seem to have lost their way a little and rushed this out before its fully formed. Hopefully the product team monitor these forums and are ‘on the case’ to improve things as quickly as possible.

In the meantime does anybody know if it's possible to ‘downgrade’ your app back to the last ‘working’ iteration? If so, how?

thanks

I’m not against being positive but no one should be applauded for knowingly doing slipshod work. Or accidentally doing bad work. The developers should feel bad about what they released. To date, they have only demonstrated hubris.

And, while you can downgrade on Android, they have somehow removed the app’s access to certain features (e.g. network management).

Userlevel 2

What are you using?

Userlevel 2

It’s a disaster of an “upgrade”. Can’t see what’s playing half the time, it’s unresponsive, navigation is not at all intuitive. For a company that was so far ahead in this field, and had much love and respect, it’s hard to believe they develop this kind of rubbish and consider themselves “courageous”.

On Android, 1/2 the time it cant find my system ... this feels likevit was rushed out, incomplete, improperly tested for some obscure marketing reason .. 

Userlevel 2

Don’t upgrade to the new app! The UI is not intuitive and functions that I used, like the sleep function are gone. It’s difficult to play from a streaming service. Couldn’t believe that things could get worse, but they have. The first few years of using Sonos were great, but the last couple of years have been plagued with problems. Don’t understand how they expect to sell products when the app is so flaky and you need to use it to play anything. They should have done more user testing before going live.

Sure, i just got back from holiday and all my devices had been upgraded, the new App is obviously broken so I tried to go back but the previous version is not available on the App store ... WTF .. this feels like marketing dictating to the techs .. fastest way to get me to dump Sonos ... there are options but its not my preference due to cost and other factors

Userlevel 2

I’m a software developer. How did this app get through QA? Literally the worst app update rollout I’ve ever witnessed. It’s not even functional.

Totally agree .. I've been around software for years and it seems now that people can wave the DevOps flag in front of exec to ".. get new features out faster and cheaper.. " , then stuff it up, not implement the right processes and blind side the exec to produce rubbish like this

Phew. I’m not going mad. Yes the app is appalling. The old one was getting slower and slower - so I’d hoped the new one might fix responsiveness issues. 

Instead, I get the intern’s brain fart.