Answered

My great Vinyl dilemma: the line in source level Bug and sonos lack of response

• 6 December 2019
  • 83 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

83 replies

Badge +2

So I would ask if someone reading this thread would simply plug a cable into their line in jack (you don’t even need a source attached at the other end) and test to see if there are toggle glitches between the levels. Put it on 8, then 9, then back two screens. Then reopen and see if it’s now on 10. This simple sequence demonstrates the glitch. Wanna see if this is universal. Sonos said they reproduced this in their lab, but weren’t sure how universal it was. 
another way of checking is go from 8 to 10. Then reopen and see if it’s still 8. 
thanks to all!

This problem persists for me as well. The best I can set it at is 9. There is no change from 9 to 10 and it often resets to 1 periodically. 

Perhaps waiting until next week’s S1 and S2 software updates is indicated?

Badge +2

My weekly post. No solution by Sonos to this simple bug verified in their lab yet. 😞

Badge +2

Going on 3 MONTHS!

So this thread has all gone quiet for 6 months. Can I assume this is fixed and TIcocks is now happy?

Just wondering as I’m just about to add a turntable to my Five.

interesting that Dr. Colossuss mentions he can use ‘9’ but not ‘10’, but it was the other way around in the original post.

Yes, it was the line-in source level 10 that was not working correctly - I’ve just checked with my Sonos Port in the S2 App and it’s all working fine here now. I think it was fixed quite a while back.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Great stuff, thanks guys. 

so what’s the recommendation for my new turntable then? I’ve been using 8, as 2 (which I selected is it said hifi) was so quiet I had to be on 50% volume on the Five to hear anything. 
9? The full 10? 

Badge +2

Edward or Ryan,

any updates on when?

I also just noticed this. The source in level will not stay at 10 for me. It resets back to 8 each time. Sonos, any update on when a fix may be expected ? 

Badge +2

So...I’d hoped for a more robust response from those seeing this.  can anyone else out there comment about this bug or no on their sonos devices?  I do appreciate any new responses, thanks!

Badge +2

Ryan S, 

this thread is about source level volume, WHICH IS STILL NOT FIXED. You still cannot select level 9. Delay was never an issue for me. 
when, oh when, will source level 9 be fixed?

please respond as to the above, Ryan

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Confirmed with my Play:5 Gen 2

Badge +2

That’s the most useful info I’ve gotten yet. 
thank you, jgatie😊

Badge +2

Full 10

you will be very pleased, I think

Badge +2

Weekly check in. Not solved yet. Know it may take a while, but just keeping this thread alive. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Full 10 it is. 

thank you v much. 

Badge +2

G9010086,

if you have the same program bug we’ve been talking about here, you’ll access level 10 by selecting level 9.  you’ll hear the double step-up in volume, but you’ll have to back up in the app 2 screens to see the source level set to where it really is at 10.  in all of this, level 9 is not available.  selecting level 10 simply keeps you on the previous level you were on.  but there is no level 9 until Sonos fixes this bug.

Badge +2

and I continue to find that even for many 80’s albums I own, level 9 would be optimal, as 10 is slightly distorted on some passages, while 8 leaves me wanting a little more pre amp juice, loosely speaking.  for most albums I own, I've verified that compared to their digital versions on Qobuz or Tidal, 8 is quieter and 10 is louder.  yes, I can happily listen at 8 when 10 distorts, but the perfectionist in me does very much want this feature fully functioning again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Mine is stuck on 1.  I have to select 10 for my turntable every time I want to play something.  It reverts to 10 when I change the source again!

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

I’ll give that a try later.  Thanks

Badge +2

here’s my weekly check in.  which will continue until the bug is resolved.:sunglasses:

My Connect has done this for quite some time. Luckily, I don’t need level 9.
Incidentally (months later, obviously) though I read through this thread and there were multiple posts listing a component here and a component there, I don't have a clear picture of your signal chain or even what turntable and pre you’re running to the Play5. Does your pre not have a trim adjustment? Or alternatively adding gain and then adjusting the Sonos line sensitivity  lower? My Connect receives line-levels best all the way down at between 2 and 4. This is naturally all relative to particular setups, but given the bits of kit you’ve listed off, surely there is a way around this further back in the chain than the Sonos’ input sensitivity, no?

Badge +2

Yes, personal email with Robert C contradicts what I was told previously. Now I am told the source level is adjusted in analog. 
think I’ll take your advice Ratty. Your audio verbiage was eloquently succinct. Not being sarcastic. I promise. I enjoyed reading it. we’ll put. 
but… the thrust of my thread is STILL that I want to hear from others that this little glitch reproduces on their devices or not. 
I still want to hear from more, as testing it is exceedingly easy and quick. 
again, thanks to all!

Badge +2

Oh, the tt has been cartridge upgraded, optimally aligned (Baerwald), optimally anti skate set. It does sound great, and with well conditioned albums, there’s scant little distortion. The at vm540ml is a great cart for the money. Absolutely obliterates inner groove distortion. 

Badge +2

Jgatie, if you don’t think a digital volume algorithm reduces fidelity, then you don’t know much about digital. I’ve got an Auralic streamer downstairs, and the company says generally leave the digital volume control on 100%. Use the amps volume. For this very reason. If you don’t believe me, run a source in the line in. Play it at level 10. The go to level 1 and quick turn up the master volume. Then tell me they sound the same. I don’t think so.