Skip to main content
Question

Unable to add shared folder to music library (913)

A couple of weeks ago I was able to add my own music to my Sonos system, tried to add a mix yesterday and I am now getting this error “UNABLE TO ADD SHARED FOLDER TO YOUR MUSIC LIBRARY (913)

This is really annoying and frustrating that I can’t listen to my own tunes, what has changed? and is there a fix for this?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

31 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Never received a call back from the support line.  This morning the wait time is 95 mins.  Who has time for this?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Finally got through to Sonos support and a remote session has fixed the 913 error so I have my music library back.  Its all down to a desktop update they did (as others have mentioned) but no explanation as to why this has been handled so badly.

This was my error

I fixed it by manually typing in the network path with \\ instead of //

not sure if this is a bug or what but why sonos would use forward slashes on pc is like basic networking…. it still shows as back slashes  but at least it accepted the path instead of giving me the error when i used forward slashes.

@Aethx

Perhaps see if the link below might assist you with that local library error…

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-and-music-services-229131/can-t-add-folder-to-music-library-913-6893981

Have a Mac with same issue.  I got it working.  On folder with music library > right click and get info > check the shared folder box.  I also made sure in system preferences > shared shared media with guests was enabled.  The rebooted to make sure setting took.  seems to work fine  cheers

Userlevel 2
Badge

Same problem here. The various “fixes” I’ve seen do not work for me. Unbelievable that they would release an update that takes away the local library.

The app didn't take away your local library. The decision to remove SMB v1, is the same decision many other tech companies have made. Sonos is just one of the last ones to do it, but users were warned it would go away. 

With the new updates, you should have regained access to your libraries. If you have not and have mane the change from SMB v1 to SMB v2 or three, you have a network issues that's preventing it from loading.

Of you have the old app on another device, PC, iPad etc.. use that to update your library and completely close and restart your app. My library changes show up.

This is just incorrect for the seeming majority of users. My NAS drive is SMBv2 by default, and the rogue 913 error won’t let me add it. It seems many people are in the same boat, and this is entirely on SONOS.

Is the app bad? YES

Are there more people having issues than those not having issues? NO

Is this entirely Sonos’ fault? NO

There are many more people who have a good/pleasant experience with the new update that those who have issues. They are just not as vocal. I also believe that there are many who are just jumping on the bandwagon (other people’s posts) with the phrase “I'm having the same issue”, adding to the negativity out there. Some do not even try to search for a solution when asking for help. Sometimes there are even responses like “thats not convenient for me” when you suggest a solution.

There are MANY different things that have caused connection issues for many users, not the majority of users; connecting a NAS or Sonos device to a wireless mesh node, instead of the main router, is one of those things that I'm sure many have done. 

There are users, like me who have not had any disruptions with the new app. It's just frustrating that some functions that are missing. But I, very cautiously, updated a single device just in case there was issues. If there is something I am unable to do on my phone, i grab my iPad or my Macbook and do it there:

Unifi network - UDM P, 24 Port Poe Switch, 2x 8 port PoE switches, U6 Pro

11 Sonos speakers, 5 of them hardwired

Synology NAS

Apple TV

Alexa

I’m in the majority, and i have not seen any errors using the new app. Even though I just bought a Five that connected and updated on my network wirelessly.

this aged well :)