Skip to main content
Question

the new Sonos ios app update is TERRIBLE! DO NOT UPDATE!

Sonos, why would you release an app upgrade with so many problems!? Where are my playlists? They're gone! Where are my alarms?  I can no longer edit or save the queue! Where are my albums? I can't change the home interface! I can delete some of the things you guys added automatically but there's nowhere I can see to add anything. What a mess!

Don't you guys check your work? I've been reading some other letters and there are many more problems.

SONOS PLEASE FIX THIS ASAP

165 replies

This app is sooooo bad, half of it doesnt work and thr other half I dont need, my playlists have vanished, i cant clear current playlists. DISASTER 

My very expensive speakers are just useless bricks now.

Had no choice to update as the speakers would not work without an update.

Listen sonos these are my speakers that I paid for, can you stop telling me what I want and need,  Butt out and stop harvesting data from us all, just give us a controller that works and let us enjoy the sound quality that we paid for  stop trying to be Google and control everyone, let the customer decide what they want.

I agree all the extra options are useless to me. I can't add some radio stations to favourites,  I can't delete some that are in favourites and I  cant select my own saved music on my vomputer from my phone. 

To make it worse there is mostly a long delay, even to change tge volume, or a Not Connected error message.

I have ‘lost’ all my personal curated playlists….years’ worth …. right at the moment 

SONOS is not fit for purpose

One very unhappy music lover

I have ‘lost’ all my personal curated playlists….years’ worth …. right at the moment 

The App is just a remote and viewer of what’s on your Sonos hardware - your playlists are probably still there and safely held on your devices.. it’s probably just a case of the App not displaying them.

Such issues usually get fixed with updates to the App. The important thing is to not factory reset your products and either wait for an update or maybe let Sonos know by contacting the Customer Support Desk here:

https://support.sonos.com/s/contact

Hope it gets sorted for you quickly. 👍

This sucks and it has happened to a lot of people. No word from Sonos on this issue yet unfortunately. 

The iOS app SonoPhone can display Sonos playlists. It costs a couple of bucks. But if you wanted to check if the playlists are still there and be able to play them while you wait to see if Sonos will fix it, this might work (not affiliate with it, I bought it and it works for me, but ymmv). 

I don't complain about ANYTHING, but I'm complaining about this update. 

Favourites, whether artists, albums, play lists all in one place?! Chaos 

The imbecile that designed this programme in not a music lover. 

Sonos, why would you release an app upgrade with so many problems!? Where are my playlists? They're gone! Where are my alarms?  I can no longer edit or save the queue! Where are my albums? I can't change the home interface! I can delete some of the things you guys added automatically but there's nowhere I can see to add anything. What a mess!

Don't you guys check your work? I've been reading some other letters and there are many more problems.

I fully agree.   My enthusiasm for Sonos has taken a rapid 180.  It feels like somebody was justifying their professional existence by creating a worthless update.   I wish I could revert to the previous version.   I tried calling and it never connected.   Not sure why...

Thank you for the advice re hopefully locating the missing playlists.   

At the moment, the new APP seems greatly diminished … nothing like 

it used to be …. if it’s left like it then a total ‘backward step’ for Sonos

I have tried contacting the support team…. but they’ve gone awal too 

Please please return to the APP we’ve been used to

2 separate occasions of waiting 1 hour each time and then at least an hour with the support person and my Sonos system is basically a very expensive paper weight. Even the support person said they’re system isn’t working either. All I get is “something went wrong” when I try and play anything. I have even factory reset each device. I cant even get Spotify to reliably connect to the Sonos speakers. My only saving grace is I can put the Move into bluetooth mode and my Playbase is optical. All of my stuff would work on S1, so I spent several hours trying to roll back to the S1 app but they have shut that feature down also. Yes this is super frustrating and the fact I have over $3k invested doesn’t help. The wife wanted to get the outdoor speaker set and amp. That purchase is permanently on hold (as is all other Sonos products). For my own sanity I’m just going to have to assume my system is down permanently and when they update the app, I’ll update, but hold out no hope. I still have a $30 boom box I bought a few years ago.

What’s more the update has just released 80.02 or whatever and it’s even worse. It’s so bad it’s unbelievable. I start music playing and then I can’t control it. I’ve rebooted everything, deleted, reinstalled and it makes no difference. It’s such an incredibly poor experience. Now seriously thinking about moving to a complete new system. It’s so FRUSTRATING!!  

This sucks and it has happened to a lot of people. No word from Sonos on this issue yet unfortunately. 

The iOS app SonoPhone can display Sonos playlists. It costs a couple of bucks. But if you wanted to check if the playlists are still there and be able to play them while you wait to see if Sonos will fix it, this might work (not affiliate with it, I bought it and it works for me, but ymmv). 

Thank you... that has worked for me ...happy music lover now

Userlevel 2
Badge

What is it now, a month? I have the new app on a tablet to see how it's going, with the old one on my phone.

Basically it's still a * show. 

Now it seems to occasionally work but it's hopelessly inconsistent and drops everything in a regular basis. It means my system remains unusable..... I really don't want to write off thousands of pounds but at the moment I don't have a means of playing music throughout my house.

It's been like this for too long and I beseech those ill-advised people here complimenting the engineers on the rectification work to make it clear that this just will not do. Firms who treat their customers like inadvertent beta testers deserve to go out of business. The management of the firm needed to hear that unfiltered by any mitigation that may lead them to believe they "got away with it". 

At the next board meeting they should be invited to resign having treated the most important people in the company (That's us, the poor bloody customers btw!) like crap.

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

One thing needs to be fixed at once as a primary reason we all bought into sonos:

Bring back the ability to program in our radio stations by URL.

If tunein is now defunct and useless ad based, then just put it into the basic function of the sonos app.

The only thing that will get the attention of sonos is a boycott of the equipment. I am the unofficial “Stereo” person in my older aged group, and the person that gives “advice” as to music tech type questions. Sonos used to be the answer I would give everyone for clunky but effective listening to radio and playlist music throughout their homes. Now the answer is AVOID Sonos.  Don’t buy the headphones until they roll the app back to a functional one. Let’s start a forum on alternatives to sonos. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

What a disaster this new app!! Fix it!

Userlevel 2

Patrick Spence has alot to answer to!

I did the upgrade and now the app is not working at all. It starts and then crashing. Great job… again! :( Sonos iOS app is getting even worst.