Skip to main content

Sonos Radio and TuneIn not working after app update

Sonos Radio and TuneIn doesn’t work after the “May update”. I have to Reauthorize both but with TuneIn I get an error and with Sonos Radio a timeout…

I have installed the old app and with the old app radios are working fine, “updated” again the app and radio doesn’t work.

Anyone could Reauthorize Sonos Radio or TuneIn with the new app?

52 replies

Userlevel 1

Tunein Premium generally now working for me in the UK… Maybe there has been an app update given this thread is a month old?  I did lose all international stations though. There is a workaround for this well documented online.  Add the station stream url manually in the TuneIn Premium app, add to favourites and Sonos will then pull them through and play them regardless of geolocation.  Sonos still won’t play TuneIn stations as an alarm though despite offering it as an option which is annoying.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I’ve been having so many problems with this recently! As documented elsewhere on this site, I lost all my MyTuner international stations (I’m in UK). I’ve added a couple of custom stations via the desktop app (JIB on the Web & CD101.9) - I can get them to play if I use the desktop app, but they won’t play from the iOS app even though I’ve added them to my Sonos favourites. The circle just keeps on spinning...

It’s getting so frustrating. 

EDIT: I’m now able to get custom streams working via the app, but it’s an incredibly convoluted process. Better than nothing, though. At least I can now access most international streams and my Sonos system is back to being vaguely fit-for-purpose...

Like all you frustrated people above, I had the same problem and could no longer access my favourate radio stations. So I did exactly what was asked of me in the app and re-authorized Sonos to use the Tunein service by creating an account. It´s easy and obviously an advertising stunt to tempt you with the free 90 day premium account. Once registered just ignore that option and continue with the free option and bingo! All my fav´s now up and running.

BTW: I use firefox and that offers you an alias email address so that Tunein cannot access your real mail address.

Hope this helps

Hello 

same problem for me in Belgium, no access to tune in or RadioPlayer, I ‘m waiting expecting a fix that apparently doesn’t come.

please fix this issue or provide us a workaround 

Sonos is a premium system sold at a premium price you cannot deliver an upgrade with a bug an don’t fix it 

thanks

Most services don't work, including Sonos radio, after the dreadful update. Well done Sonos, you have managed to essentially brick your devices and not able to fix the issue you have created. Amazing....

Badge

I was the 2nd person in Australia to ever own Sonos products. I have sung their praises for years and even bought friends their first Sonos speaker so they could see why it just worked.

And now it just does NOT work.

I worked in IT for 35 years and managed all levels of testing so that when a new version was released, it worked.  Only once did I get it wrong, and on that occasion, I ‘backed the new version out’.

Sonos knows they won’t loose customers because we’ve all signed up to a system.

Nevertheless, they need to FIX this asap.

Luckily I retained an old version of the app on my PC and can still stream my favorite radio station (Radio Paradise via TuneIn) without constant dropouts.

Has anyone found a fix to the TuneIn dropouts, or do we just wait???

Based in the UK. None of the radio stations on tune in are working at all, only happened since update of the Sonos app. Please fix it!!

Userlevel 1

I actually created a Sonos community account to voice my utter frustration with this ongoing cluster. This is ridiculous that Sonos reps are no where to be seen in these community threads - even to acknowledge the problem exists and/or provide reassurance that they are working on a fix. If I could opt out of updates with Sonos at this point, I would. I echo everything that has been said previously. These are premium products at a premium price. This is absurd. I am also suspicious that part of this is a TuneIn and trying to maximize profits and start putting commercial ads in to generate larger revenue streams. Regardless, Sonos fix the problem before you start losing long time customers! 

I gave up on the app for basic operations and bought one of the third party solutions off the App Store. The TP app has its own problems and limitations, but at least I could listen to my radio stations.

In the interim, some of myTuner stations have started working in the Sonos app. So now at least I can listen to WFMU - a listener-supported station that has never run adverts - again, and without Tune-In inserting adverts every two minutes. It’s not great, but it feels like progress. I hope it’s getting incrementally better for the rest of you.

Userlevel 1

I can’t even see TuneIn any more in the list of Content Services. I can see it and have added it to the S2 controller for iMac, but on iPhone, I can’t see it. And I would agree that the new App is rubbish.

For me the workaround was to remove TuneIn new and add old TuneIn service in Sonos app on Windows pc, then all previous TuneIn stations reappear in favorites….gd luck 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Sonos app is getting worst after every update. Now nothing is working.

Same problem.  I had avoided using the app since the update as it’s the worst update I’ve ever seen on a product.  I was relying on the app I had on my computer since I hadn’t updated that but now it won’t let me use without updating so today tried to play the radio station I’ve used for YEARS on my Sonos and no go.

Sonos, is all you’re going to continue to do is make new products and ask people to spend more money but put no effort into fixing what you broke for your current users?  Dreadful.

ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS!!! Can’t hear my radios anymore since the last update!!! Sonos only said, we are working on it but have no time scale for a resolution….so disappointing, FRUSTRATING!!!!

Welp, the current Sonos app 80.05.04 just crashes on startup for me, now.

Userlevel 1

I upgraded my Play:1 to S2, believing it was better, but my experience was horrible. And no, I am completely unable to add the TuneIn service. I authorize ok (on Android), but Sonos S2 says something went wrong. No error codes or anything. I tried multiple times. 

I think I will have to downgrade to S1. I don't want to be a beta tester. 

Sonos turned from reliable and just working to utter crap.

Userlevel 1

I upgraded my Play:1 to S2, believing it was better, but my experience was horrible. And no, I am completely unable to add the TuneIn service. I authorize ok (on Android), but Sonos S2 says something went wrong. No error codes or anything. I tried multiple times. 

I think I will have to downgrade to S1. I don't want to be a beta tester. 

Sonos turned from reliable and just working to utter crap.

I just tried again and this time it succeed. Now I have TuneIn added 4 times! Sigh. This is just stupid.

Userlevel 1

And now I get ads every 5 minutes and every 2-3 minutes I get one of two 10-15 second pauses with no audio. I have changed nothing in my wifi setup or the placement of devices. I guess Sonos simply has turned to shit.

Hi,

Same here. Getting „Welcome to Tunein“ in a loop every 2mins or so, during which playback pauses and then either repeats a previous segment or skips parts of the running content. Currently the Sonos app is such a piece of garbage, that all my old Sonos equipment would just be scrap if it weren’t for the Raspi in the cellar enabling me to do Airplay to any of them. So I can at least resort to the mobile app and then use Airplay.

Cheers

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

This looks like the stream gets broken up: everything a new stream is started, TuneIn plays an ad. If so, this is not an app problem.

This looks like the stream gets broken up: everything a new stream is started, TuneIn plays an ad. If so, this is not an app problem.

Private streams go through TuneIn, now, and that means adverts are now injected into the stream, in my experience.

Some details here.

Badge

I have found a solution to all these (and more) update problems.

But...I can't tell you because if Sonos find out, they will block it in the next upgrade.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Sonos Radio regularly goes into the authorization loop and doesn't work in reality. I have contacted Sonos support but they are unable to help since it appear to go away by itself a about a day later...

Can someone from this group more knowledgeable than me. Please give me advice on what are the viable alternatives to Sonos. I have had it with them. I was a happy user until the upgrade which turned out to be a downgrade. 

Can someone from this group more knowledgeable than me. Please give me advice on what are the viable alternatives to Sonos. I have had it with them. I was a happy user until the upgrade which turned out to be a downgrade. 

I am also planning to move to other products. I am not knowledgeable on specific alternatives, but I am planning to go for those implementing open standards. Sonos is a textbook case of a company becoming arrogant faster than the competencies of their software development team. When one decides to adopt their own standards they should have the gravitas to support them. They (and we) learned once more the lesson of vendor lock in and that today software is the ruler. Sonos will go down in history as another case of technological cluster..*fail*...