Song Not Encoded Correctly

• 26 March 2016
  • 87 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

87 replies

I'm trying to add a radio station and keep getting this message too- any help appreciated please
If you're trying to add a custom URL perhaps the audio really is in an incorrect format. Sonos supports MP3, AAC and WMA audio formats for radio. https://support.sonos.com/s/article/260
I'm trying to add a radio station and keep getting this message too- any help appreciated please
A similar behavior stated on a single radio station that I am listening to. all other stations are fine.
All the sudden I'm getting the "not encoded correctly" on every song, but it plays the song anyway.
I am having the same problem, but this happens only a few of the tracks, and the same ones every time, any suggestions
I tried changing the network's wireless channel and it worked a treat!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Confirmation #: 5608326

Hi TheB1NG,

There's another wireless network in close range that is running on the same channel as your home network. This is causing your Sonos system to lose connection to your network and also causes the error you've described. Please change your home network's wireless channel from 1 to 11 and see if that helps.
Confirmation #: 5608326
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I've been using Apple Music almost exclusively, so I don't believe the issue is with the songs themselves. I figured it was a connection problem of some sort, but wasn't entirely sure what. I just unplugged and replugged everything earlier this evening. The problem seemed to be fixed for a short period of time, but I ended up having similar issues later in the evening.

My router and the Play:1 are in the same room, though they are across the room. I'm not really sure what else it might be, unfortunately. When it works, it works great, so this is frustrating. Thank you for all of your help.

Hi TheB1NG,

That error usually occurs when the stream for a song is interrupted, usually due to wireless interference or network congestion. Please send in a diagnostic report and reply here with the confirmation number, I'll take a look for you. Here's how to submit reports.
I've been using Apple Music almost exclusively, so I don't believe the issue is with the songs themselves. I figured it was a connection problem of some sort, but wasn't entirely sure what. I just unplugged and replugged everything earlier this evening. The problem seemed to be fixed for a short period of time, but I ended up having similar issues later in the evening.

My router and the Play:1 are in the same room, though they are across the room. I'm not really sure what else it might be, unfortunately. When it works, it works great, so this is frustrating. Thank you for all of your help.
To confirm: intermittent 'not encoded correctly' errors are almost certainly due to packet/connection loss, i.e. a network problem rather than a format issue.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Well

Start at the beginning and confirm that your music are in a supported format. Review this link https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/80/kw/formats and navigate to the place where your music is and confirm they are in a supported.

If they aren't in a supported format then get them converted to a format that is.
If they are in a correct format then it is something else. Could be an IP conflict in which switch off (Turn off the power) of your router, your Sonos, computer and ALL devices connected to your wi-fi (yes, that means phones, tablets). Then re-start the router first, let it connect. If you have a bridge or Boost start that next and then the Play 1.
If that doesn't resolve the issue could be interference - make sure the Play 1 is not too close to the router.

Good luck