Answered

S1 Android App crashes every time I search in "stations"

• 28 September 2020
  • 58 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

58 replies

same here - SONOS app crashes on Android when searching for radio station; no iOS available, very annoying, sent in diagnostics multiple times since 4 or 5 weeks now.  I’d be happy to listen to the radio again.  ID = 112225684

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Note to group: 

Older versions of the S1 Controller can be found here:

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/sonos-inc/

I installed a version from August and search works … 

I've stayed on S1 to avoid all the continuous updates, seems they couldn't even leave that alone.

Will try and roll ours back.

Userlevel 2

I’ve just bought a Move but will not recommend SONOS.  S1 app is broken and SONOS seems incapable of fixing it.  Who cares about voice control and ARCOS?  Bring back an app that works.

It probably would be more helpful to Sonos engineers who are trying to fix this issue if you were to post a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, giving them more hard data to look at. Just post the number here, and the Sonos Forum moderators can collate the diagnostics, and send them over.

Same issue here.  I can’t believe this has been allowed to fester for over two months without any fix, or even meaningful updates.  It does feel like legacy users have been thrown thoroughly abandoned. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Big Aura, thank you for your response. I really appreciate the time and effort you've spent doing all the troubleshooting steps.

Let me suggest some steps to see if this would work for you. How about upgrading your system from S1 to S2? The known issue is happening on the S1 app only. I can check your system by submitting a diagnostic report to provide you what’s recommended.

If you wish to continue working with us over the phone to expedite the process,  you may reach our Sonos Customer Care support by remotely connecting to your device to check what's going on and to provide the best option for you.

We're here to answer any further questions you have.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello,

I have the same problem on Android 10. I believe a recent update to Sonos S1 broken this a couple of weeks ago. The iOS S1 app seems unaffected.

Searching on my local music library or Spotify works fine. But as soon as I search Stations for anything, S1 immediately closes and I cannot use it. This makes searching for radio stations unusable.

My diagnostic number is: 1550445801

When is a fix anticipated?

Thanks.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi folks,

Thank you for reaching the Sonos Community.

We really do apologize for the inconvenience. We are continuously working to improve the functionality of this feature and will keep you posted on this.

In the meantime, you can do the following options:
1. Use an iOS controller to perform the desired action - if available.
2. Browse or Search for the respective content without using either the "Podcasts & Shows" or "Stations" filter.

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

I have had the same issue for several months now. The app crashes whenever I search Playlists, Genres, or Podcasts & Shows. It does not seem to crash when I search Artists, Songs, or Albums. But I search Playlists often, so this is a huge problem. I have a Samsung S10 with Android 10. I have Sonos S1 version 11.2.3. Upgrading to S2 is not an option as the Sonos system I have is not compatible.

Same here. App S1 crashes when searching stations. Can't Update to S2 because I use two Play:5 speakers.

Note to group: 

Thanks Echas! I uninstalled 11.2.3 and installed 11.2.2 from the link above. Search works great now. Hint: Disable automatic system updates in Sonos Settings.

Hi.

Since I upgraded to the new sonos app it work fine for a couple of days now it won't even find my speakers. The Beam plays but can't control through the app (no found) and my 2 play 1s are not found either??????????

I have tried on 3 mobile phones  and uninstalled the app and re downloaded it still nothing 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi folks,

@Airgetlam, thank you for your assistance.

@MusicEvokesEmotion, thank you for your response. The diagnostic shows that you're using an Android 11 and the Sonos app version is 57.3-81090.

@Big Aura, thank you for providing the diagnostic reports. Your wife's using Android 9, while you're using Android 10. Both Sonos app on your devices has the software version 57.3-81090.

Not all devices are affected by this issue. I'm glad that it's working on Android 9. This is why we are still investigating and looking for a resolution on affected devices. 

We do apologize for the inconvenience. We are continuously working to improve the functionality of this feature and will keep you posted on this.

Okay so it seems like this app problem isn't going to be solved for the Sonos one speakers?

Still can't search or view podcasts in the app- only songs and artists. 

I use my Sonos almost exclusively to listen to podcasts.. it's already annoying enough I have to go through the app to stream the content I'm looking but if I can't even do that.. I'd rather just get a new speaker that uses Bluetooth..

Sonos will the app issue be solved before the new year?

Your company has been made aware of the issue for several months- and its a fairly massive issue considering your product depends on the app to functioning properly... 

Badge

I have only just come across this issue and it is a real pain, I just wanted to put on a podcast before going to sleep last night and ended up fighting with the system and the app to no avail.

“”1. Use an iOS controller to perform the desired action - if available.

2. Browse or Search for the respective content without using either the "Podcasts & Shows" or "Stations" filter.””

I do not have an iOS device and step 2 did not help me.  I even added the podcast I wanted to a playlist so that I could easily browse to it but playback was ‘denied’ and the podcast was greyed out.

I also tried playing directly from the Spotify app using ‘available devices’ but every Sonos device is greyed out and says ‘Can’t play this right now’

I could split my system into 2 and use S2 but the single legacy Sonos device I have is in my bedroom which is where I wanted to listen.

Hmmmmmm, just tried a different podcast and it worked - are some podcasts just not allowed on Sonos?

Badge

Hmmmmmm, just tried a different podcast and it worked - are some podcasts just not allowed on Sonos?

Either way, the app crashing is a real pain.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi folks,

Thank you for reaching out to the Sonos community. 

We really appreciate your time and effort in working on this. I understand that an issue must be resolved as soon as possible. In this specific scenario, we are still awaiting an update from our engineers for the development but as of this writing, we haven't received any.

Our engineers are actively working to resolve this. Please bear with us while our team is working towards a resolution. It will be resolved in a future software update but we don't have any time frames to share right now. 

If you need help with any other information, please feel free to reach out. The Sonos community is always here to help.

Fortunately for me, I can control Sonos via my home automation system (OpenHAB) which I have configured with the radio stations my wife likes. OpenHAB software is free.

Given that Sonos have no schedule, it is an option for anyone technicaly minded. I say this knowing full well that the selling point of Sonos is plug and play simplicity of use, so this is not likley suitable for many people.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Note to group: 

I tried that and the old app won't let you proceed without updating to the new version. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi folks,

@Snowden, thank you for reaching us. @Airgetlam is correct. You can create your own thread or search for the same issue in the community that you may find options to resolve your concern.

@spatel, welcome to the Sonos community. I appreciate bringing your concern to us. Do you experience the same on other music services?

@Big Aura, thank you for your response and for submitting the diagnostic. Upon checking, most of your Sonos products are compatible with the S1 system. 
Can you also submit a diagnostic report from your wife's phone for us to compare?

We don’t have exact timing to share at this point and the issue will be addressed via a future software update. We will update this thread when we do.

The Sonos Community is always here to help.

Same issue here. I recommended Sonos to a dozen friends who bought the system years ago. I was very happy with the product, but only issues recently,  SO TIRED OF iT!!! I am very disappointed,  how to break something that used to work perfectly ??!?!?!

Can you give us an update on the fix? Same here considering a switch even if will be costly...

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Earquake, thanks for sharing this with us. We truly value your feedback and we’re sorry your experience didn’t match your expectations.

Most Sonos products are compatible with S2. Some of our oldest products (previously referred to as “legacy” products) will not support the advances of S2 due to their memory and processing power. If you own any of these products, You can still use older products with the S1 Controller app. The S1 Controller app will receive bug fixes and security patches, but it will not receive future software features.

Streaming with Sonos requires a stable internet connection to be able to communicate to the music service cloud to play with your Sonos speakers. If the system requirements will not be met, audio interruptions may be experienced.

Updating the Sonos software will provide an opportunity to download and install new updates, and bug fixes in the system to work with other applications and 3rd party devices connected to Sonos. It will not only fix bugs in the system but it will also give away for feature enhancements and future development. We will continue to provide technical support for our older products.

Sonos Arc is the next-generation of home theater products in our line-up, bringing an immersive and 3D sound experience with Dolby Atmos, and powered by the new Sonos S2 platform. Arc features 6 front-firing woofers, 2 up-firing woofers, and 3 tweeters for a total of 11 speakers, which use enhanced Trueplay and vertical channels to bring cinema-quality sound into your home. You can also enjoy listening to your music in this setup. Adding surrounds and Sub will create a more realistic sound effect.

The Arc itself is a 5.0.2 soundbar. A 5.1 setup with surround speakers and sub would be a 5.1.2 system. It supports the latest high-bitrate audio formats up to 192kHZ, 24-bit, uncompressed 5.1 and 7.1, and 32-channel uncompressed audio. With HDMI eARC it supports the latest, high-bitrate home theater audio formats such as Dolby Atmos, Dolby Digital Plus, and Dolby TrueHD.

If you need help with any other information, please feel free to reach out. The Sonos community is always here to help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Same issue here.

Userlevel 1

Just hit this problem on a new install on a new android phone, and then found this thread. I need to stay on S1 as I only have S1 devices. As suggested why don't you rollback. I use radio daily. Seriously considering ditching Sonos altogether.