Radio skipping backwards - BBC radio repeats

Show first post

146 replies

Thank goodness I came across this thread as I was beginning the lose the plot slightly.  For months now I’ve been plagued, yes plagued :joy: , with Radio 4 skipping back when playing on my Sonos One Gen Twos using BBC Sounds.  Coupled with the 50/50 chance that it won’t stop playing when asked, instead having to ask it to play something else and then stop it, it’s becoming a little tiresome.  So, based on this thread I’ve disabled the BBC Sounds skill in the Alexa app and enabled the myTuner skill instead.  Fingers crossed...

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Still repeating on Radioplayer for me. No message about service being discontinued March 22nd though 

A summary of my experience so far:

1. I noticed BBC radio skipping back, this has been happening for some time
  2. My standard setup was to use the TuneIn service on Sonos
  3. I use a Google Home Mini to start the radio - not always but most of the time
  4. If I use Google Home Mini “play Radio 2 in the office” for example, it will start and use TuneIn saying “BBC Radio 2 from TuneIn playing in Office”
  5. I have now removed the TuneIn service from Sonos, Google Home will still say  “BBC Radio 2 from TuneIn playing in Office” - and looking at Sonos I can see it is using TuneIn
    Sonos reports using TuneIn when started via Google Home
  6. In order to see if the stream via TuneIn skips but another service (e.g. myTuner) doesn’t I need to start radio only via the app (not Google Assistant) for a while - will report back then.

Regards,

Gavin

The BBC have responded this morning re-stating this is a known Sonos issue. Can I have an update when available? Thanks

Just a thought - the “beeps” Time signal before the News must be delayed!  When and how does it each up?

This is an Internet stream. It isn't on time in the first place. 

Thanks for that.  I didn’t know.  What is the accurate radio?  I tend to use my iPhone and/or electronic clocks for setting the time which appear to be identical.

Happens with absolute radio too!

Until the most recent post, which isn't about the BBC, this thread had gone quiet.

I have not experienced this problem for 2 or3 weeks. I have been using the app rather than Alexa to launch the stream. 

Has this issue largely gone away or are others still having frequent problems?

As an update to my post the other day, I was speaking with the support team and:

1. Installed the app again to generate diagnostics
  2. As part of that installed an update to my Sonos One.
  3. Changed my wireless channel on 2.4ghz to 6 (from 1)
  4. Initiated BBC Radio 2 via the Sonos app (not via my usual route of Ok Google)

….and for the last day or two I’ve had NO rewind/skipping (previously I would get maybe 8-10 skips over 6 hours airplay).

As so many actions were made, it’s hard to understand what could of been the thing that helped fix it but so far so good.  I’ll see if I can initiate a days worth of listening via Ok Google and see if there’s any change.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

I’ve got the same problem, with Radio4 skipping backwards about 10 seconds.  It does it several times in a single programme. It’s only started doing this since I switched from Sonos Radio or Tunein to Radio Player which I’ve had to do because I believe BBC will cease providing the stream via Sonos Player and Tunein on 22nd March. This feels like a problem between Radioplayer and Sonos - no problem with any other service. This is very frustrating after 12+ years of excellent Sonos listening

I am a bit confused now. I switched to the MyRadio service from TuneIn. Then MyRadio started broadcasting warnings that BBC programs will be withdrawn. Are we now saying that BBC stations will be withdrawn from both My Radio AND TuneIn?

Badge +17

I’ve got the same problem, with Radio4 skipping backwards about 10 seconds.  It does it several times in a single programme. It’s only started doing this since I switched from Sonos Radio or Tunein to Radio Player which I’ve had to do because I believe BBC will cease providing the stream via Sonos Player and Tunein on 22nd March. This feels like a problem between Radioplayer and Sonos - no problem with any other service. This is very frustrating after 12+ years of excellent Sonos listening

I am a bit confused now. I switched to the MyRadio service from TuneIn. Then MyRadio started broadcasting warnings that BBC programs will be withdrawn. Are we now saying that BBC stations will be withdrawn from both My Radio AND TuneIn?

@neilandjan, TuneIn rectified that issue on the 9th of March, so you shouldn’t be hearing the message there or on Radioplayer. MyTunerRadio has not corrected their streams as of yet and we can’t be certain what will happen to it after 22nd March. Sonos Radio, TuneIn and Radioplayer will be unaffected.

As an update to my post the other day, I was speaking with the support team and:

1. Installed the app again to generate diagnostics
  2. As part of that installed an update to my Sonos One.
  3. Changed my wireless channel on 2.4ghz to 6 (from 1)
  4. Initiated BBC Radio 2 via the Sonos app (not via my usual route of Ok Google)

….and for the last day or two I’ve had NO rewind/skipping (previously I would get maybe 8-10 skips over 6 hours airplay).

As so many actions were made, it’s hard to understand what could of been the thing that helped fix it but so far so good.  I’ll see if I can initiate a days worth of listening via Ok Google and see if there’s any change.

Really interested to hear how this goes, this has been driving me mad for months...

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

@neilandjan, TuneIn rectified that issue on the 9th of March, so you shouldn’t be hearing the message there or on Radioplayer. MyTunerRadio has not corrected their streams as of yet and we can’t be certain what will happen to it after 22nd March. Sonos Radio, TuneIn and Radioplayer will be unaffected.

Glad to hear that or all my Sonos gear was going straight on Ebay.

I see this tread goes some time back but I would say that I have the same probleme in Norway. Using TuneIn and listning mostly to NRK P3.

An additional problem is that I use the radio as my alarmclock and it turns off itself after 20-30 minutes. Tried everything to fix this… Hmpf…

Howard

Userlevel 2
Badge

@Xander P - so are you saying that this is something people will experience whether listening to Sonos or via any other (internet radio) device?  Or is it possible that it could only happen via Sonos?

I can’t help wondering if this is linked to the general ‘strangeness’ that exists in the relationship between the BBC, TuneIn and Sonos (and maybe throw Alexa in there, too).  The BBC withdrew its stations from Tunein a while back because it really wants everyone to listen through BBC Sounds.  However, it has allowed Sonos and some other ‘third party’ music players to continue to play a URL directly, with that URL supplied by TuneIn.  Could this be in any way relevant?

If the HLS stream is the problem, then some of the users who have posted on this thread may want to try using a non-HLS stream, which they can add as a manual radio station to Sonos.  This would be as an experiment and/or temporary workaround.  The following link has non-HLS streams that can be tried. 

https://garfnet.org.uk/cms/tables/radio-frequencies/internet-radio-player/

To add a station to Sonos

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/260?language=en_US

I added a URL and it does not appear to skip, however I get occasional message saying this service will soon be removed.... It says I should move to BBC Sounds, if only we could that too work....... 🤔

Might be tempting fate here but I’ve either resolved this issue or it’s been fixed anyway. For me I changed my Alexa settings/change music and podcasts default player from Spotify (where I’d previously had a 3 month trial which was downgraded to free) to Amazon. No issue since with the BBC radio jumping issue. No idea whether this fixed it, if it hadn’t then next thing I would have tried was an Alexa command ‘tell BBC sounds to play radio 2’ instead of ‘play radio 2’ and narrow down from there to work out which service Alexa is calling. Either way, I think just blaming Sonos is a bit lazy, they build amazing speakers, and opened up their previously locked down ecosystem to 3rd party own voice products re Amazon/Google voice control because the community wanted them to.

@Xander P - would be grateful if you could give any update as to the situation with this streaming problem. It’s been happening regularly for months now and it would be good to know that Sonos and BBC are working to get a fix in place. It spoils what is otherwise an excellent system.

I’ve reverted to using RadioPlayer for the source of BBC Radio 2, no issues at the moment - come on Sonos, you want people to use your Radio Service as the main source but here in the UK we have issues.

I also have this issue.  There is no difference if started with Sonos app or Alexa.  I have also tried with Google no difference.

What I don't understand is with this skipping backwards why is the program finishing on time?  or is it a case that with all these seconds I am running behind in this lockdown time!

I find that i can run bbc sounds on my phone then link the sound through to Sonos with no problems. It is infuriating that if I blunder into the kitchen and mutter ‘Alexa radio4’ it works and then starts to repeat. I worry that by the end of the day the on the hour news is running half a hour late! 

I’ve been putting up with this issue for a few months but it’s getting worse (just now I’ve had 3 skip backs in 15 minutes!) so felt I had to add another name to the list.

I initiate Radio 2 with Google via TuneIn.

This is making think twice about future Sonos purchases, like a Soundbar.

Actually it does appear that on testing via OK Google it did then have a few skips yesterday afternoon.