Radio skipping backwards - BBC radio repeats

Show first post

146 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

BBC Radio will do nothing unless the right tech people ar SONOS liase and Sonos has shown known sign in supporting us on this.

Having same issue with Radio 5 Live. 

Hi everyone, thanks for raising this with the Sonos Community.

As the issue reported appears to be exclusive to BBC Radio streams, the likely issue is the data being sent to your Sonos system, rather than the system itself.
That being said, I'm more than happy to raise this with our engineers to see if there are any steps we can take from our side, however it may also be worth reaching out to BBC directly and reporting your experiences to them.

@Xander P is sonos doing anything about this? The almost complete silence from any sonos representatives on this tread is unacceptable. Its clear its a sonos issues and not a user issue. I've been a huge fan of sonos for years but I'm starting to feel let down. Get your finger out! 

I also have this issue and after seeing the message from @Xander P i contacted the BBC today. This is their response:

Thanks for contacting BBC Sounds support about your Sonos device skipping backwards when listening to BBC streams.

This has now been confirmed to be a Sonos fault rather than a BBC issue. You should check out their help forums where they have updated some of the threads to show this.

I did a search but have not found any reference this updated status - is anybody able to point me to where the threads have been updated?

I asked the BBC to point me at the forums they meant and, low and behold, they pointed me at this thread. I can only think they meant the post from @Xander P on page 3 which didn't actually say that this was a confirmed Sonos fault.  More correspondence with the BBC on the way I think!

I was online with Sonos support today, their suggestion was to use Radioplayer skill with Alexa to play BBC, instead of BBC Sounds. I explained that this was a clunky work around and not a fix. I asked that my request be added to the list of candidate issues to be resolved in future Sonos SW release. Continuing to use myTuner to play BBC Radio on Sonos until this is fixed permanently.

I have the same issue to with Radio 2 skipping back numerous times during the day. Never used to happen until a couple of months ago. All other services work fine. Tried the links and suggested actions - nothing changed.

I submitted a support ticket with the BBC yesterday. They got back to me today asking a few questions but said they have tried it on their own sonos system and it has been fine.

I also tried the non-hls manual streams as suggested above and appear to have the same issue. 

I had this problem, contacted Sonos who said change from Tunein to MyRadio service.

No problems or repeats now.

I had this problem, contacted Sonos who said change from Tunein to MyRadio service.

Give it time. I thought a few weeks back that it had gone away because it hadn't happened to me for a while.…

I guess it is not totally impossible,  if MyRadio gets the stream by a different route. Sonos gets the stream direct using a URL provided by TuneIn. For the moment I remain unconvinced.

Give it time. I thought a few weeks back that it had gone away because it hadn't happened to me for a while.…

I guess it is not totally impossible,  if MyRadio gets the stream by a different route. Sonos gets the stream direct using a URL provided by TuneIn. For the moment I remain unconvinced.

What's myradio? Is it another service within sonos? Don't think I've ever seen that. 

Same issue here for the last few months. Will skip back a few seconds then repeat. Happens at least once in the hour I listen ever morning, sometimes more (it's been twice this morning in 20 mins) 

BBC radio 2 via tune in on a Play 1, turned on with an alarm. 

Very annoying

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

What's myradio? Is it another service within sonos? Don't think I've ever seen that. 

I can't find a my radio but there is a myTuner radio. There is another issue at present with the BBC changing or removing some of their current streams. You might be better off trying Radio player which is part owned by the BBC

I’ve used TuneIn to find various radio stations and add them to My Sonos. With some of them, the station will start playing but then after a minute or two ‘rewind’ 30 seconds, so you’re hearing something you’ve already heard.

For example, I had the Ken Bruce show on BBC Radio 2 this morning and during the Popmaster quiz, in the middle of him asking one question, the audio jumped back to the question before.

Does this happen to anyone else? Is there a way around it?

I also started getting this in the last few days on Radio 2 on TuneIn.

Interested in any update on a fix \ diagnostic

Regards

Badge

I also experience BBC R2 jumping backwards throughout the day. Sometimes noticeable sometimes not. If I nip out in the car it becomes obvious when I get back in the house as the Radio played by SONOS will be mins behind the actual broadcast. 

It also takes an age to start the stream! There is definitely a difference when I stream from TuneIn as opposed to SONOS Radio (the former being better). Can anyone else comment on the speed to start the stream?

I've been suffering with this too and have also experienced this once when listening to DAB in the car.

I've added the stream from myTuner Radio a few days ago and haven't heard the skipping backwards.  What I do get is a message saying that the stream will be unavailable from the twenty-something of March.

I only use the S1 app with Tunein and Radio 2 skips back circa 4 times a day. Only started about December and I don't think Sonos are particularly interested in fixing it. It's a shame as I have Sonos in every room and I don't think I could recommend it to friends anymore as it is really irritating. 

Can you confirm if this is using the app, not voice control, as you seem to suggest?  Your profile says you do have Alexa.

It is more or less inconceivable that this problem is caused by a Sonos software issue that Sonos can fix alone.

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply.

Although we do have Amazon Alexa in the house, I only ever use the Sonos (S1) App on my phone to start the radio / change station. The skipping backwards happened again this morning when listing to Matt Lucas on the Radio 2 breakfast show, I’ve never experienced the skipping on Radio 4 when listening to the Today breakfast programme but that is not to say that it doesn’t happen at other times. I’ve never had a problem with Classic FM.

I also have this issue and after seeing the message from @Xander P i contacted the BBC today. This is their response:

Thanks for contacting BBC Sounds support about your Sonos device skipping backwards when listening to BBC streams.

This has now been confirmed to be a Sonos fault rather than a BBC issue. You should check out their help forums where they have updated some of the threads to show this.

I did a search but have not found any reference this updated status - is anybody able to point me to where the threads have been updated?

I asked the BBC to point me at the forums they meant and, low and behold, they pointed me at this thread. I can only think they meant the post from @Xander P on page 3 which didn't actually say that this was a confirmed Sonos fault.  More correspondence with the BBC on the way I think!

I was online with Sonos support today, their suggestion was to use Radioplayer skill with Alexa to play BBC, instead of BBC Sounds. I explained that this was a clunky work around and not a fix. I asked that my request be added to the list of candidate issues to be resolved in future Sonos SW release. Continuing to use myTuner to play BBC Radio on Sonos until this is fixed permanently.

This is what Sonos support said in chat “It looks like this is related to 'BBC Sounds Skill' that isn't fully functional on an Alexa enabled Sonos device versus an Amazon Alexa Enabled Device.” 

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply.

Although we do have Amazon Alexa in the house, I only ever use the Sonos (S1) App on my phone to start the radio / change station. The skipping backwards happened again this morning when listing to Matt Lucas on the Radio 2 breakfast show, I’ve never experienced the skipping on Radio 4 when listening to the Today breakfast programme but that is not to say that it doesn’t happen at other times. I’ve never had a problem with Classic FM.

Thanks for info, although it muddies the picture further!  I have had the skipping backwards numerous times on Radio 4’s Today programme, but only when the stream is started using Alexa, not the app.

I am on S2 rather than S1, but it seems unlikely to me that those would differ in this regard.  

I think I am going to give up trying to pin down the common factors on this one!

One thing I think we are all agreed on is that this is a problem on BBC channels only.

My S2 amp is skipping on radio 2 too. It’s highly unlikely that we all have the same WiFi/network issues. 

I might have missed this bit in the forum, so wanted to check. Does myTuner Radio play BBC Radio on Sonos without the backward skips? 

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Haven't seen any recent diagnostics on this for over a week do I thought I would add one. This doesn't happen very often to us but had a very noticeable backward skip this morning Radio 4 streaming from Radioplayer initited by a Sonos alarm system is 11.2.4 so 6 months since last updated.

Diagnostic 1255664793

It affects my Sonos on an almost daily basis. We listen to Radio 1 and Radio 4.

[Edit]

I generally initiate the system via Alexa rather than the Sonos app - I have two small children so need to be able to control the volume/what’s playing quickly and can’t always find my phone!

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

On further testing it appears that the BBC Radio 2 stream is MUCH more reliable IF the radio is started from the app.

I’ve since reverted to kicking off the stream via the app and haven’t seen any skips for more than a day (10+ hours played)

I assume that the wireless channel means very little (as instructed via Sonos support) but both A) applying the latest firmware update to my Sonos One and 😎 initiating radio channel via the app and NOT my assistant (Google) fixes the issue for me.

This is what I am experiencing. I am using MyTuner and starting through the app and not Alexa, it seems to be OK so far. So can Alexa also be the problem? I hope not as my wife will not use anything but Alexa. She refuses to use her phone just to change the radio station. She will throw Sonos in the bin!

Also, if i do use Alexa, it seems to remember and uses TuneIn not MyTuner. I have removed the TuneIn skill from Alexa, so I just don’t understand what is going on.

In my experience once I have initiated the radio station from the app, all is good.  No skips since my last update.  I can close down the app on the phone and just play/pause from the device and I’m good.

This doesn’t help I guess if you’re in a household that switches radio stations a lot and you’re keen to not use the app.

The assistants (I use Google’s) are very convenient of course but for my usage I can now get away without using it.

Hopefully our experience can help those at Sonos work out what the issue is so the function many paid for can be used fully.