New SONOS app: many features no longer available!

Userlevel 6
Badge

Think twice before you install the new SONOS app as at least the following features are no longer available (temporarily or permanently):

• Sleeptimer has disappeared completely. Either you sleep the entire night with music on or you wake up to switch off the music… Quite defeats the purpose.
  • Alarms: creating and editing an alarm is no longer possible. You can only toggle an existing alarm on and off.
  • Local music library: make sure you don’t remove it as it is no longer possible to add a local music library stored on a NAS or shared device. Also the search doesn’t work on the local library any longer; it only searches the online music services. Sonos seems to have finally let down its initial user population that made Sonos big before music streaming services existed…

Either this is a deliberate choice by Sonos to reduce the functionality or someone validated a pre-beta release for production to meet some preset deadlines… In any case, don’t upgrade if you need these features.

170 replies

Userlevel 1

Think twice before you install the new SONOS app as at least the following features are no longer available (temporarily or permanently):

• Sleeptimer has disappeared completely. Either you sleep the entire night with music on or you wake up to switch off the music… Quite defeats the purpose.
  • Alarms: creating and editing an alarm is no longer possible. You can only toggle an existing alarm on and off.
  • Local music library: make sure you don’t remove it as it is no longer possible to add a local music library stored on a NAS or shared device. Also the search doesn’t work on the local library any longer; it only searches the online music services. Sonos seems to have finally let down its initial user population that made Sonos big before music streaming services existed…

Either this is a deliberate choice by Sonos to reduce the functionality or someone validated a pre-beta release for production to meet some preset deadlines… In any case, don’t upgrade if you need these features.

what the hell happened here??!!!!! I had beats one set on the app for my alarms every morning & also had tons of rare songs saved over the last few years. It’s now all gone  How was this possible? How do we report this?

Userlevel 1

what the hell happened here??!!!!! I had beats one set on the app for my alarms every morning & also had tons of rare songs saved over the last few years. It’s now all gone  How was this possible? How do we report this?

Userlevel 1

Finally done with Sonos. Worse and worse performance. Cost not justified and limited faith that products have any longevity. Removing alarm function is the final straw. 

review of alternatives commencing now…

Hadn’t realised there may be decent alternatives. Apparantly ‘AudioPro’ is very good - pips Denon speakers….. if Sonos don’t sort the sleep timer and alarms out we’ll be ditching our Sonos speakers on Facebook Marketplace.

Userlevel 1

Yet again SONOS treat customers badly

After the disaster of bricking older models, later corrected with the S1 App, Sonos yet again “upgrade” and leave things worse!! 

Wish I’d delayed upgrading the app

Userlevel 1

The updated  app sucks!

Userlevel 2

Sonos, what the hell have you done?! 

I use alarms etc, new app sucks, layout all cheesy and ios style. No. 

Luckily am android so promptly uninstalled new app and reinstalled 16.1 from apkmirror, rejoined existing network, took 1 minute, yay, no more updating Sonos app for a while methinks 🤣

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Sonos should really offer the previous app as an alternative until they sort this out. They can just have 2 download options on the App Store and everyone would be happy. Then when they fix all the bugs we can all switch back to the new app. 

Userlevel 1

This is completely unacceptable. How on earth can they treat their customers so badly?

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Finally done with Sonos. Worse and worse performance. Cost not justified and limited faith that products have any longevity. Removing alarm function is the final straw. 

I don't blame you. Please share your findings here. Thanks.

Userlevel 1

This update is unacceptable.  Touted as a huge upgrade… it did nothing but REMOVE features and functionality.

*let me search my connected music library.  This is NOT hard.

*provide a sleep timer.  You already had this… why remove it?!?

#notpleased.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I don't blame you. Please share your findings here. Thanks.

Check here: 

Userlevel 4
Badge

It’s been said many times already, but I’m just going to add my voice and say: Sonos - you need to respond here and let us know in detail what the action plan is to restore these features. What are you going to do and exactly when can we expect it?

No alarms on Android for me, had to downgrade the app from apkmirror.

Thankfully reconnecting the system was easy.

I think I know what caused this mess: "Agile development".

A scheme for management to do even less and make devs into assembly line workers.

Release a minimum viable product (bare minimum in this case), then improve on it in 1-4 week sprints.

Google did the same with YTM, but they shut down old Play Music completely, hope the old Sonos app stays functional for a while.

This is crazy!! The main features I use are no longer possible. This just does not work for me and I might have to sell my system because alarm and sleep timer is how I use Sonos even during the day. E.g Set alarm for when I get home or sleep timer if I'm playing music before going out. Such a step backward. We had these features in 2009 when I first bought into the ecosystem.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

This happens EVERY morning! The new app is very poor! Cannot use Sonos anymore. Can you imagine having a NAS system like this???

** UPDATE ** - SYSTEM IS UNUSABLE!! Trying to play anything and it says "Something went wrong". I cannot use my Sonos at all. Even tried force stopping the app and clearing the cache! What a pile of cr@p!

Une honte !

j’ai perdu toute ma configuration.

rien ne fonctionne et impossible de revenir en version précédente.

plus de réveil, etc.

Comment Sonos a t il pu mettre une application aussi nulle en ligne ?

Literally got my era 100’s a week ago, partly for the alarm feature. Quite disappointed in the whole experience so far, mainly due to the app. This update makes things markedly worse. Don’t release these updates with core functionality missing.

It’s far from ideal but you can still set sleep timers using the voice assistant.

Userlevel 1

Literally got my era 100’s a week ago, partly for the alarm feature. Quite disappointed in the whole experience so far, mainly due to the app. This update makes things markedly worse. Don’t release these updates with core functionality missing.

It’s far from ideal but you can still set sleep timers using the voice assistant.

How? please give a step by step guide on how to set a sleep timer ….. us turtles use Spotify for the music - piano lullabies - to get to sleep but don’t want them waking us up by not switching off….

I created this account just to say screw you Sonos, I'm moving to Bose. How do you not have any analytics on people using this feature. What a joke of a release train and product management. Newer is not better and your new app looks like every other app out there without the usefulness of feature parity

If you are browsing or searching for a song and click the 3 dots, I can't see the option to play the song I  a different room (is it just me?)

If you click on the 3 dots of a song, I can't see album info either.

My NAS was automatically added as a service. That's gone. 

That's just for starters. Not a happy customer who has quite a few sonos products. 

Bring back the old app and give folk the option to upgrade until issues are ironed out. PLEASE

I am replacing my Sonos Amps with Wiim Amps.

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

How? please give a step by step guide on how to set a sleep timer ….. us turtles use Spotify for the music - piano lullabies - to get to sleep but don’t want them waking us up by not switching off….

First you should set up the voice assistant through the app, you can do that through the settings; hit the cogwheel in the top right, select your device, scroll down to voice assistant. Follow the steps. Once it’s set up you can say “hey Sonos, set a sleep timer for thirty minutes” for example. 

This works but I don’t like using the voice assistant all the time. And with the loss of alarms… I’m very displeased. Just spent a whopping amount of money just to get core functionality taken away a week in. Please just restore the missing functionalities to the app, Sonos. 

Totally agree with someone writing we should rate the app - just gave 1 star in App Store. Cannot recommend Sonos to anyone after this. Money talks - creating bad reputation like Sonos has sparked with this crazy release will hopefully lead to someone in charge being fired.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

First you should set up the voice assistant through the app, you can do that through the settings; hit the cogwheel in the top right, select your device, scroll down to voice assistant. Follow the steps. Once it’s set up you can say “hey Sonos, set a sleep timer for thirty minutes” for example. 

This works but I don’t like using the voice assistant all the time. And with the loss of alarms… I’m very displeased. Just spent a whopping amount of money just to get core functionality taken away a week in. Please just restore the missing functionalities to the app, Sonos. 

Many thanks for sharing this which helps. Problem is, my Sonos app likes to lose its connection every morning with the entire system. It never did this before this awful awful awful update.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Totally agree with someone writing we should rate the app - just gave 1 star in App Store. Cannot recommend Sonos to anyone after this. Money talks - creating bad reputation like Sonos has sparked with this crazy release will hopefully lead to someone in charge being fired.

Yep! Have given it 1 star. Would give it ZERO if it were possible. (Conspiracy thought..... It's like SONOS did this on purpose to get publicity of a sort???)