Skip to main content
Answered

Music Library Compilation Issue under new 16.3 Firmware

Today I successfully updated to the latest 16.3 Firmware and Windows Desktop Controller.
I subsequently performed an “Update Music Library Now” from the 16.3 Windows Desktop Controller.
Now any Sonos Controller (including SonoPhone, SonoPad) show multiple entries for each compilation album when viewing Albums.
Just an example shown below...

Does anyone else have this issue?
Ross.

120 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Thanks for the update @Corry P . Much appreciated.
Ross.

I am having the same  issues, started about 5 days ago.  Chris D.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I am having the same  issues, started about 5 days ago.  Chris D.

Last week there was a firmware update that affected some people’s systems. But have you also updated the app to yesterday’s latest version from your app store, which might provide the cure? If it doesn’t, Library compilation issues have been raised and noted by Sonos, as you’ll have seen in this thread.

I will do that - can I test it after I have reinstalled the app on just one device (like my laptop), to see if it solves the problem by checking it on the laptop, or will I need to reinstall on all devices before seeing if it worked?  Thank you very much, Chris D

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@cdiani 
Hi Chris. As per Corry P from Sonos (see above), they are aware of a bug to do with Compilation albums appearing multiple times. It was introduced with Firmware update 16.3. So I don’t think there is anything you can do to fix this yourself. We are all hoping that they fix this soon, but I suspect it is down their current priority list.

Ross.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

I will do that - can I test it after I have reinstalled the app on just one device (like my laptop), to see if it solves the problem by checking it on the laptop, or will I need to reinstall on all devices before seeing if it worked?  Thank you very much, Chris D

HI @cdiani I can confirm that Android V80.05.06 of 20240717 (the latest) works fine as long as, like me, you stay with Firmware V79.1-54060 on your speakers. 

By all means go with the controller upgrade - it lets you search your Library and other minor tweaks, which is good - but keep away from the Firmware upgrade until the compilation album problem gets fixed. 

Good luck

John

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

HI @cdiani I can confirm that Android V80.05.06 of 20240717 (the latest) works fine as long as, like me, you stay with Firmware V79.1-54060 on your speakers. 

By all means go with the controller upgrade - it lets you search your Library and other minor tweaks, which is good - but keep away from the Firmware upgrade until the compilation album problem gets fixed. 

Good luck

John

Pretty sure Sonos force the firmware upgrade if you want to use the latest app that allows library searching.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

HI @cdiani I can confirm that Android V80.05.06 of 20240717 (the latest) works fine as long as, like me, you stay with Firmware V79.1-54060 on your speakers. 

Good luck

John

Pretty sure Sonos force the firmware upgrade if you want to use the latest app that allows library searching.

I certainly would if I was Sonos. You can’t have two parallel systems for those who want to update their app and those who don’t.

Realise it’s not helpful just to say “I have the same issue” but … well, I do.

I would add that I added the music library back into my system using the Windows app, so I do not think it is anything to do with which mobile app you are using.

Many, but not all, albums split into tracks.  Even classical ones: Beethoven’s 9th Symphony split into 5, one for each movement.  Another album by “various artists” has a long list of tracks which, when selected, say “No selections are available”.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I would add that I added the music library back into my system using the Windows app, so I do not think it is anything to do with which mobile app you are using.

Many, but not all, albums split into tracks.  Even classical ones: Beethoven’s 9th Symphony split into 5, one for each movement.  Another album by “various artists” has a long list of tracks which, when selected, say “No selections are available”.

Did you update the mobile app to the latest version released on Monday. It provided some music library fixes - e.g. reindexing - that potentially could help when accessing via the Windows app?

(The issue around music library compilations had been acknowledged by Sonos.)

Did you update the mobile app to the latest version released on Monday. 

Yes, I’m running the most up-to-date app on all devices.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Did you update the mobile app to the latest version released on Monday. 

Yes, I’m running the most up-to-date app on all devices.

Okay - I don’t have music libraries so will now defer to others who do!

Edit: Also a duplicate thread here, but with different comments, including comments from Sonos mods.

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-and-music-services-228995/music-library-compilations-issue-under-16-3-6899800

Are there other ways to let Sonos know this is important to users, that I should do (like chat or call support), in addition to posting ‘this is happening to me’ on this thread?  I appreciate all the replies above.  Chris

I would highly recommend that you submit a system diagnostic, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution, or certainly pass on hard data to the person fixing this issue.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your network and Sonos system.

Hello Corry P, is there a way to have a chat or phone call with someone like yourself who is a staff, and knows about the issue?  I appreciate your time.

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

I posted this on another thread as well:

Anyone from Sonos - or not - feel free to answer this:
I’d be willing to forego using an NAS (in my case two SSD USB drives plugged into my iMacs) if someone could answer this:  If one were to move ALL music files in our libraries into a folder on the main internal hard drive of a iMac and/or Windows computer, would THAT negate the issues plaguing the huddle masses who are using external NAS drives?  Or, are those too considered Network Attached Storage devices?

Brad

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @cdiani 

You can always get in touch with our technical support team, but as this is a software issue, there is not much that they can suggest that will improve matters for you - we don’t know of any workarounds.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @SlamDesi 

I’d be willing to forego using an NAS (in my case two SSD USB drives plugged into my iMacs) if someone could answer this:  If one were to move ALL music files in our libraries into a folder on the main internal hard drive of a iMac and/or Windows computer, would THAT negate the issues plaguing the huddle masses who are using external NAS drives?  Or, are those too considered Network Attached Storage devices?

That entirely depends on what issues you are seeing. If it is the issue described in this thread, then no - only a software update will improve matters.

A dedicated device providing networked storage (a NAS) may prove more reliable due to not being “distracted” by other possible on-going processes (and/or users), but it may not have the same wealth of configuration options (NAS drives that only support SMBv1 are not supported on S2 Sonos systems, for example). But. they may have lower CPU power and mechanical hard drives, which would also make them slower to respond if they have not had to do so in a while. A computer, on the other hand, will require more total power to be as responsive as a dedicated device, may be performing other tasks in the background which may slow it down, and has to be turned on in the first place (or prevented from sleeping).

Basically, there’s no easy answer to that. Personally, I have a Raspberry Pi running Rasbian (Linux) providing me with my network music folder and have only seen one temporary issue since the new app came out - I’ve been able to play Music Library tracks the entire time. This is probably the cheapest way to do this (barring just plugging a drive into your router), and it has endless configuration options, but it is technical to setup and get working (not with Sonos - just in general).

When it comes to accessing a shared folder, your speakers cannot tell the difference between a Mac and a NAS - they both supply a SMB share, and that’s all the speakers will see or know.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 2

Same issue for me

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Yup they’ve done it again. For example on my iPad and iPhone in some cases I have multiple copies of the same album and 100 separate entries for an album called 100 Greatest Car Tunes, none of which show the track or the artist. Still no alpha segregation for music library entries, still no music library search option. Thank god for for the version I have on my laptop.

One step forward, two back. But hey - we can buy some new Sonos headphones, so that’s OK!

This ia a farce. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

So do I

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Corry P… I’m assuming, when you mention Raspberry Pi, you’re on an Android device and/or a Windows computer?  There’s no way - that I know - on a Mac to change SMB versions and, from what I’ve read in the Apple Forums, it’s entirely driven by the Mac OS and USB bus. The library that’s important to me is on a new Crucial SSD drive connected to a new iMac running Ventura so, there shouldn’t be any SMB anything restricting it.  I’ve downloaded Sonophone and my libraries showed up immediately and function as before Sonos’ app release.

My suggestion would be this: release an app that restores those of us who don’t care about streaming to a position that we were in prior to the new, buggy app being foisted upon us. As I’ve posted elsewhere, to what degree does the end user have to engage in technical sleuthing, hours of research and one hour waits on Tech Support to still end up with a system that doesn’t function the way it did?

Oh, and about streaming, I can’t access my Amazon Purchased music library either.  I get the “Something went wrong” banner and, believe me, something has gone wrong.

Brad

This is about the final straw for me. I’ve enjoyed Sonos hardware for over 10 years, but their software has been flakey from day 1. I inevitably spend a few hours every month trying to rediscover components on my home system that have decided they don’t want to be part of it anymore. And ‘rediscovering’ them has always been difficult within the Sonos software system. I’ve already relegated my components to only being used via direct Bluetooth connection - it’s too unreliable to hope that I can quickly play something from my library via the app. Today I needed to use the app to play calming music for my dogs while out of the house, only to discover this mess. I think next time I need a component it’ll be off to the Bose store.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @SlamDesi 

I have Android and Windows, yes, and I’m not a Mac user. As I understand it, some 913 errors coming from macOS shares may be erroneous and not relating to SMBv1 - we’re looking into this right now. I don’t see how SMB relates to the USB bus - one is software, one is hardware, and they have nothing to do with each other in any way, shape or form. Not even vaguely.

Are you just talking about the issue which is the topic of this thread? I’m still not sure. Yes, the issue is with the mobile app, so any other controller (even third party ones) will not produce the same issue. The speakers handle the indexing of the music library, so the fact that other controllers view it without issue highlights that it’s just the app having display issues.

I think it’s a safe bet to say we will not be offering two versions of the S2 app (the new app is still an S2 app - S2 is firmware for speakers) at the same time.

Oh, and about streaming, I can’t access my Amazon Purchased music library either.  I get the “Something went wrong” banner and, believe me, something has gone wrong.

We’re not aware of an issue where you can see none of your Amazon library. I recommend removing the service from your system and adding it again.

Remove a music service account from Sonos

Add a music service to Sonos

I hope this helps.

Edit: Greyed text is inaccurate - the issue lies with speaker firmware, as other apps are affected.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Good luck

John

I certainly would if I was Sonos. You can’t have two parallel systems for those who want to update their app and those who don’t.

HI @cdiani, @dpg50000  and @Rhonny my experience, as detailed above with the latest firmware (S2 16.2 build 79154060) on my speakers and Android controllers on both V16.1 and V80.05.06 of 20240717 is that the library search function works fine.

It is definitely NOT the case that Sonos force the upgrade, as my experience when using the latest (Android) app proves.