Gapless playback issues after 15.2 update

Show first post

99 replies

Badge

Waiting for this fix too.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Starting to think it’s Apple’s fault, and the only solution is to sell your Sonos and buy a HomePod, typical Apple dick move

Badge

Same issue here. This recording of Beethoven 's 5th piano concerto, 2nd movement, is supposed to flow gaplessly into the 3rd movement. The slight hiccup between the tracks spoils the musical intent of this composition.

#NowPlaying "Piano Concerto No. 5 in E-Flat Major, Op. 73 "Emperor": II. Adagio un poco mosso" by András Schiff on @Sonos 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Starting to think it’s Apple’s fault, and the only solution is to sell your Sonos and buy a HomePod, typical Apple dick move

Then why isn’t there an issue using Airplay and the Apple app?

Because then you’re using Apple’s player, and Apple’s own servers that don’t have the Sonos SMAPI on them?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Really not happy with the lack of any kind of meaningful feedback from Sonos, my Era 300’s are up for sale, am jumping ship.  They’ve had enough time to raise this with Apple, I bet they simply haven’t bothered.  Don’t buy Sonos folks

Userlevel 1
Badge

😥

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Sorry to report that Version 15.8 does not solve the issue on my test album, Abbey Road (2019 Mix) on Apple Music.

Is there an improvement if you enable crossfade?

Same issue after latest update. Chatted with Sonos support on Friday and calling in on Monday to continue case with support. 

This issue shows up for me when I playback DJ mixes that are supposed to be a seamless mix. There’s a slight hiccup between tracks that’s insane. Only just started with the most recent update. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

While the audible gap between loopable tracks and seemlessly mixed albums has been shortened in recent updates, the issue still persists.

@Corry P , can you confirm that this issue is still being worked on?

Agreed. And I’m hearing it on other services, not just Apple Music. 

The gap is shorter, and it’s still there. Running 15.11. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Seriously Sonos team, how hard is this to fix? It has been quite a few months now!

Userlevel 3
Badge

Thankyou for the quick response @Corry P 

its great to know there is active work on this. Happy to provide assistance if needed.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi @Corry P 

I’m definitely still having the issue on some of my speakers, everything is fine on Play:1s but Ones, Beam & Port still have the issue.

I’ve submitted a diagnostic 432546941

Oh I never thought to try on different devices, I mainly use this on the Symfonisk frame. @hobaSoundWhat devices to you use?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Seems like the gap is smaller but yea, still a gap there

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

15.6 update does NOT solve the problem on my test album Abbey Road (2019 Mix)

Just my two cents. No problems whatsoever with gapless play. I tested Abbey Road (Beatles) twice (once the music files on my NAS, then through Spotify) and Dark Side of the Moon (Pink Floyd) also twice. Songs play without any gaps, happy to say. S2, 15.6.

Userlevel 1
Badge

The bug affects Apple Music gapless playback via the Sonos app only, NAS and Spotify are unaffected

Userlevel 2
Badge

new update, still not fixed :(

Since both use exactly the same playback software, that suggests the issue is at the source, i.e. Apple’s servers. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Considering apple use their own AAC format and ALAC format for lossless / hi res / spatial I doubt it is the same software, but yes, could well be apples fault,  although through the official Apple Music app it works fine, problem only exists when using the Sonos app and selecting Apple Music content

Userlevel 3
Badge

Oh excellent. Thanks for the update.

I think you’re talking about the Apple playback software. So, yes, those would be different.

When you use the Sonos controller to initiate playback on Sonos speakers, all streaming sources use the same API and playback software.

The only difference from one stream to the next is the location of where the Sonos system gets the content, and of course the format of the content. Sonos has effectively no control over what it is sent, any challenges are at the source.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@Corry P any progress on this? A few months ago you shared this was being looked at and a fix would be in place “soon.” Has that changed? 

Thanks in advance.