Skip to main content
Question

Emergency! Must downgrade new app ASAP

I just upgraded to the new Sonos app, what an AWFUL, AWFUL mistake that was!

I need to get the APK for the previous version. Please somebody send me a link.

The new app does not allow quick easy control of the volume and EQ settings from the main volume slider. Everything about the new UI is just incomplete or missing. Although I could probably get over how psychologically jarring the new change is (I even lose the app icon now its color has changed), basic features are just missing.

I can’t accept the inability to quickly control the sound I hear from a system designed for playing sound. Not fit for function any more! It’s got to go, will downgrade and block future updates.

Sad to say Sonos, bitterly disappointing.

66 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I've put 16.1 back on so we’ll see what happens and how long it lasts this time!

I've put 16.1 back on so we’ll see what happens and how long it lasts this time!

How do you do that?

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

How do you do that?

A lot of faffing around the first time - just read further up this topic and you’ll see how it works. Once you've been through that, however, and have the last 16.1 ipa file, it’s easy enough to put in on.

The question mark remains, however, whether or not you can keep using 16.1 if your firmware has already moved to 16.2 and the jury’s still out on that. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

almost 3 days now now and still working !

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Great to hear!

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

In case anyone missed it in my first post in this thread, detailed and illustrated instructions can be found by a

google search "How to Downgrade Apps on AppStore with iTunes 12.6.5 & Charles Proxy site:github.com"

Brand new Move arrived today.  Went to downgrade to add to my Sonos 1 system.  Downgrade option has been removed in latest Sonos (2) app, although they say they are going to reintroducee it - who knows when.  Found a way to go back to an earlier version.  Started downgrade path and it told me I need to upgrade the app!!!   So now the Move is useless.  Sending it back.  What has happened to Sonos?  

Brand new Move arrived today.  Went to downgrade to add to my Sonos 1 system.  Downgrade option has been removed in latest Sonos (2) app, although they say they are going to reintroducee it - who knows when.  Found a way to go back to an earlier version.  Started downgrade path and it told me I need to upgrade the app!!!   So now the Move is useless.  Sending it back.  What has happened to Sonos?  

The Move 2 didn’t even exist when S1 was split off, what makes you think you would be able to add it to an S1 app that can no longer be updated with new hardware?

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

By "earlier version” did you mean the orange version of the app (V16.1 of the S2 Controller)?  If that’s what you meant, try deleting the app and resintalling the IPA.  If that’s not what you meant, you’re in the wrong thread.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

...and today it’s forced me to update the app 😡. If they’d added searching my music library yesterday I probably wouldn't have minded as much. So it’s back to Sonophone again!

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

...and today it’s forced me to update the app 😡. If they’d added searching my music library yesterday I probably wouldn't have minded as much. So it’s back to Sonophone again!

Strange the IOS app with the updated firmware bugs you after a week, while @CronoCX reports android does not.

At least deleting and reinstalling the app isn’t too painful in case you need something Sonophone doesn’t offer.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Strange the IOS app with the updated firmware bugs you after a week, while @CronoCX reports android does not.

At least deleting and reinstalling the app isn’t too painful in case you need something Sonophone doesn’t offer.

I was talking about firmware, not the App if I remember right. I’m on iOS. The 16.1 to 16.2 firmware that was issued the day after the new App came out, 16.1.1 I think it was. My supposition was that if one updated to the 16.1.x firmware is it might have acted like a “trigger” to force users to update their phone Apps, because that seemed to be the behavior based on what I’d seen based on other User reports. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Strange the IOS app with the updated firmware bugs you after a week, while @CronoCX reports android does not.

I was talking about firmware, not the App if I remember right. I’m on iOS. The 16.1 to 16.2 firmware that was issued the day after the new App came out, 16.1.1 I think it was. My supposition was that if one updated to the 16.1.x firmware is it might have acted like a “trigger” to force users to update their phone Apps, because that seemed to be the behavior based on what I’d seen based on other User reports. 

Mine has been completely inconsistent. I had already updated to the 16.2 firmware when I managed to roll back the app to 16.1. The first time it was only 24 hours before the app forced an update and the second time it was about 5/6 days. I could put the 16.1 ipa back on my phone again but tbh I don’t think I’m going to bother now I know it’s only a a matter of time before I’ll be forced to upgrade again.

Maybe this wouldn’t be happening if I was still on the older firmware. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

My mistake, I meant @press250

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

My mistake, I meant @press250

Still holds true: I am running Android app v16.1 with firmware v16.2, and I have not seen a “you need to upgrade the app” message. YMMV.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

UPDATE: Found the APKs and managed to successfully downgrade 🤡

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/sonos-inc/sonos-for-android/sonos-for-android-16-1-release/

Thank goodness I have all my functionality working again. Blocked future automatic updates and will have to start looking at competitor systems if this isn’t sorted out before my next purchase.

Dear Sonos: READ THE ROOM.

Dear fellow users,

I’m trying to apply these steps, but for me it’s not working.

• I go to “More Options”
  • I select "Downgrade Product to S1”
  • it finds the product, I log in
  • then it checks if the app is up to date, and forces me to update it.
    • at this moment, no way to skip / dismiss it

Can anybody please help ?