Disaster App Update 80.xx.xx - May 2024

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I just want to put my review (app store) from the latest update here in as already so many of us feel the same way:

first of all - i m a customer and fan since 2011 and i ve several setups in my home: 1x arc - 2x era 300 - 1x sub (3rd gen) - 1x beam (2nd gen) - 2x era 100 - 1x one (2nd gen). also i m a software dev and system admin for about 25y (large international corporation). yesterday I downloaded the new update and it s a total failure and complete disaster! it s so bad that i m willed to sell all my speakers if it s not corrected or will be rollbacked. the new design is neither intuitive nor performant (iPhone 14 pro) and also key features missing like editing an actual playlist/cue, sleep timer, alarm, etc. also my favorites don’t work anymore, can’t mute, can’t switch between tv and music, nas settings gone and are not available, some services had to been removed and new connected, etc.

how is it possible that a big company like this „burn it down to the ground“ when the app before was nearly perfect?! where is the quality management, the testing rings, etc.? it s unbelievable - such an disappointment and like i wrote before - if this is the new way i m out and selling all my speakers. you can also read a lot of the same opinions in the official sonos community/forum. this is all a huge L

224 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

“Ii m out and selling all my speakers”

How could any of us sell to anyone else without disclosing just how much grief they’d be buying???

Userlevel 2

absolute failure!  system rendered useless...call in for help, 70min wait...chat doesn’t work...all speakers lost, full system reset and they add back in but are not showing in any app, mac os, ios, etc.  speakers prompting for update, “There was a problem adding your Sonos One...blah blah blah.  You have to have a PhD in Calculus to figure this POS system out.  And is by far the most expensive system known to man. 

Your company is a joke and now there are millions of dollars of products circling the earth that are now useless.

and why do we even post here, they’re so underwater with this release they will never get to this.

Shocking.  Telling everyone to avoid this company.  It can’t connect to my system for more than a few seconds now before everything goes gray… sometimes it never connects at all.  I can’t play music, or if by some miracle I can… I can’t shut if off, change it, or change volume until system feels like connecting again, sometimes 20 minutes later.  SHOCKING

Userlevel 2
Badge

absolute failure!  system rendered useless...call in for help, 70min wait...chat doesn’t work...all speakers lost, full system reset and they add back in but are not showing in any app, mac os, ios, etc.  speakers prompting for update, “There was a problem adding your Sonos One...blah blah blah.  You have to have a PhD in Calculus to figure this POS system out.  And is by far the most expensive system known to man. 

Your company is a joke and now there are millions of dollars of products circling the earth that are now useless.

and why do we even post here, they’re so underwater with this release they will never get to this.

I feel guilty trying to sell my system as I will be selling bricks and not speakers. Will mothball as the most ethical thing to do. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

This ism experience of the app… and that is without even detailing the missing services such as library update. And this is with version 80.00.08. 

Heads should roll in macerating. This is not an act of ‘bravery, but of ‘foolhardiness’.  And whilst at it, restore the old app for iOS users, and sack the head of development of allowing this to be released.

Userlevel 2

We install HiFi systems and multi-room control as well as business installs where businesses use audio servers with their choice of music on. The new App gives no option to setup a music server anymore. Further, those who had it  set before find that it will only play music from their servers that are available on the streaming service they may use. So if they have albums that are not available on the streaming service, they can’t play the music, even though they own it and have it on their audio server. I have never seen a company so blatantly focused on what it wants over the needs of the very customers it is selling to. Their lack of appreciation for their paying customers is staggering.

For most people without extensive technical knowledge, putting the old App back on their Phones/Tablets is near impossible. However, since we’ve had to find a solution very quickly for the barrage of calls we had from upset customers, we’ve downloaded them an App called SonoPad. This is totally free and works in a very easy to understand manner and has most of the features people enjoy, including replay from audio servers. It is also considerably faster than the new Sonos. I  can’t say whether it will suit everyone, but if this helps some of you out of a hole and allows you to keep using the system you paid for, then that’s a good thing.

For the person who asked if Sonos reads or takes action on any of this, the answer is almost certainly no, because if they had any interest in the opinion of their uses, then this would not have been an issue in the first place. Their order of importance appears to be, profits, shareholders……………. oh, customers.

From our point of view, we believe it’s time to start looking at the many options out there other than Sonos, since their respect for profits far outweighs their respect for their uses.

Also posted on other threads.

Userlevel 1
Badge

The apposite disaster. I was a beta tester on it – and I contacted Sonos multiple times begging them not to release it. Nothing works for me. It’s lost my music library entirely. The streaming URLs – and I had 200 of them – were not ported over and I have to re-enter them Into TuneIn, before they’ll appear. The alarms are broken. Usually when they go off, it rings the Sonos chime instead of the music service I have time. If I go into the alarms on the new app – it erases the music I picked for the alarm. Sometimes the alarms will go off, but it will play whatever most recent music was playing in a different room.

unmitigated disaster

I’m now almost entirely using IDAGIO as my music app – adagio is able to control all of my Sonos speakers and play classical music. If I want to listen to anything other than classical, I’m SOL because the Sonos app just doesn’t work.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

And the hits keep coming!

Sometimes my 40,000+ song local library of high-resolution music is available to me...other times (most the time)?, not so much. I mean, I’ve only spent 20 years creating massive playlists (2000+ songs each) of my absolute favorites for mellow, standard, heavy, and other vibes. Can’t access any of them anymore. Well, most of the time,

Large, carefully curated, high-res music libraries are only how must serious music listeners—who care about quality and want to pay artists for their content instead of streaming them pennies—tend to listen to their music. Guess SONOS decided they’re not the platform for serious music listeners. Good to know.

Seems that the brain trust who led this debacle was a bit too focused on Point Of Sale as an outcome, and as a result, developed a Piece Of Shit.

That sound you hear is SONOS’s market share slowly evaporating as your existing customers, filled with bitterness and resentment, take massive losses selling their hardware to move to a new platform

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Please post your reply to the Class Action Lawsuit

Userlevel 3

Folks, it’s called technological ens*itification. If you want what was once good and *free*,
you will soon be able to get that *service* back by subscribing to some “top level” BS scam.
Watch for it.

I wish I didn't believe this.  

Soon to be ex customer.

Firstly I want to say the team that work in designing the acoustics of the speakers do an absolutely fantastic job. Spacious and detailed sound that really does amaze.

However what is equally amazing is the team that designed, tested and released such a disaster of an app. You’ve let your colleagues and the company down. 

Sonos said this new app took “courage” and indeed it did. An unintentional attempt which has completely destroyed the reputation of a premium product for existing loyal customers and put off any new customers.

The original app was perfectly sufficient and just needed a few tweaks to make it even better.

I understand things change and the new app looks again sufficient. However to release an app which loses some of the original functionality such as the alarms, which has now returned, but then promise to reinstate these functions in the next few months just show they ran out of time for the 7th May deadline to develop a completed, stable and working app.

In my opinion they should have addressed the endless issues with WiFi connection that some customers (not me though) experienced. Maybe an updated version of the Sonos Boost? 

Unfortunately I am now looking at alternative systems. I am sure they will eventually sort these problems out but I can’t trust the software team not to mess things up again in the future. Let’s not forget that these speakers are not cheap.

Userlevel 1

I have to chime in that I agree with everything being said.  I find the new app a disaster.  It keeps losing my system.  I can not figured out how to play more than the first track on a play list or an album.

I personally did not see anything wrong with the old app.  

I can’t believe that Sonos does not allow a roll-back of the app.  I have a large Sonos system spread over the house that I use all day long.  I can not keep music playing on it with the new app.

Please give us back the old app.  The new app is totally unintuitive. Hating it is not too strong a statement.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Join the class action lawsuit. Just search within the website

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Join the class action lawsuit. Just search within the website

Link it please

My Move speaker just suddenly vanished off of the app.  Tried over and over to reboot it… factory resets, deleted the app and re-dowloaded it.  MONDAY - Called Sonos, the wait was 85 minutes.  I waited for over 40 minutes and it hung up on me.  Was able to connect to chat.  After doing everything I had already done, he had me do it again.  No luck.  He then told me that is was Spectrum’s router. Told me to go get a new one, which I reluctantly did (everything else in my home is working fine on the router I had, but did it anyway.  Came home, reconnected everything in my home to the new router.  And guess what?  EVERYTHING works great EXCEPT my SONOS SPEAKERS...they are no where to be seen through the app.  This is NOT a SPECTRUM issue.  It is 100% SONOS… TUESDAY - Called back.  The recording said it would be a 10 minute wait.  It was over an hour.  CS rep did the same exact things as the day before.  After logging in to the app, got a message that I need to update the software.  When I tried to do this, got another message saying that “the owner of the account needs to be logged in” (which I had just done and their app is showing me as “logged in.”  She gave up and told me she will escalate my case and I will hear back from them in 24 hours.  Guess what?  Crickets… WEDNESDAY -  I called Spectrum to see if they know anything about why Sonos is telling people that the problem is their routers.  They did a diagnostic on my entire wireless account and guess what?  Both of my speakers are showing as connected to my WIFI.  The Sonos app, shows ZERO products connected.  I am now in the que for the third day… waiting to be called back by Sonos.  This is absolutely absurd.  As some have said, everything worked FINE with the GOLD App.   

Userlevel 1

Hi all. Just want to say I'm completely p'ed off with the update. Can't set up my surround speakers without them blasting a loud volume that drowns out the centre Beam, I could set distances before. The layout of the app is terrible, my screen is coveted by a bloody enormous search bar.

I suffer badly from mental health issues including PTSD, aling with chronic hand arthritis and this change has made playing music (that helps me survive) impossible, Sonos you obviously don't care about your customers. Whoever designed this app didn't need to wipe the old one away until the new one worked. A group of children could have done a better job

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Userlevel 1

Adding my voice as another user who can no longer access their music library via the App.

This was original core functionality - how could removing this have even been considered?

Sonos has always been great to me (hardware replacements/debugging) and i have been loyal.

Now like others I think my loyalty was misplaced?

Could we just have the old IOS app back …..

Userlevel 3

SonoPhone for Sonos 1.99€ for iPhone users !

works fine ! Show playlists, NAS-server-Libery, Plex , can create new playlists !

all speakers work !!!

And I cancelled my new order they very next day after the new disaster update. I live in Thailand, Sonos product‘s are more expensive here.

2 Era 300, Arc soundbar and mini sup! 3200$

I believe that I am not the only one to do so. 

Badge

The new app version is indeed lame.

What to do:

• Uninstall the app.
  • Download an earlier release (e.g., 16.1 from March 2024).
  • [Disable Auto Blocker if needed.]
  • Install the older version.

Back to happiness. Sonos, please get back to us once you’ve listened and figured out a solution to your mistake.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

No ability to go to a previous version in IOS only in Android 

Userlevel 1

@Achmax Just purchased Sonophone and it works perfectly - thanks for the tip.

Userlevel 1

I cannot comprehend how Sonos thought the new app was acceptable to roll out.  Was there any market research done?  I find it even more reprehensible that Sonos double downs on the benefits of the app.  

Unfortunately I updated my phone app, but will not update any other devices.

Very unhappy Sonos customer.  I previously only heaped praise on my Sonos products.  I cannot do that today.

Totally agree with prev posters. Really dislike new interface & missing features. Also broke Plex service.

Wanna improve the product, give us pre sets & better troubleshooting tools when shit unexpectedly stops working. 

Not sure why they're bragging about new UI! Whoever sold em on this should be fired. 

Give us back previous version while you finish version 80

Userlevel 3

As I listen to music in three room.

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.