Apple Music - we've run into a problem

• 17 February 2021
  • 78 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

78 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

I’ve just moved from Spotify to Apple Music and spotted this thread. 

Browsing to Albums and Artists is playing for me but if I try and stop the song quickly I always seem to get a message “Unable to play the requested song”

I don’t seem to be able to see all of the music through the Sonos S2 app that I can through the Apple Music app either. Not sure if this is to be expected?

And although I know this isn’t a Sonos issue I’ve also noticed that trying to shuffle Apple Music through Alexa also doesn’t work.

I have had the same issue for more than a year. Same problem using S1 and S2. Same problem in 4 different apartments in two countries. NL ans US. 

Same issue for me. Im on a family plan too (owner). I logged in to my sonos app with my wife’s apple id and all her music showed up. 

i do have some of my friends music ripped from youtube and added to apple music manually. These are foreign songs and not available on apple music. I do have quite a few of them. Iv tried every other suggestion mentioned in this forum but nothing has worked. Just wondering if anyone else with the issue has music ripped and added to apple music? Maybe its a copyright issue? 

That’s certainly a fair indication of some sort of ‘random’ WiFi interference, whatever the source may be. It can come and go, for sure. The next time you experience it,  I would highly recommend submitting that diagnostic I spoke of, and contacting Sonos directly. As I said, there would likely be data in it that might help. 

Hi All,

Thus has just started happening to me after years of fine performance. FIX IT SONOS!

With the lack of any meaningful help from Sonos. Has anyone else found a solution that worked? Thank you in advance of a positive response.

only solution I found after speaking to Sonos and apple for hours was to sell all my Sonos speakers and switch to HomePods - so frustrating and not worth trying to fix an issue that never should have existed 

Tried nearly all remedies referenced (apart from the ones I know are nuts!) and my Sonos One (Gen 2) speaker still cannot play the Made for You Apple playlists. Once upon a time it could, but those days are but a memory now! Everything else works, so I’m inclined to agree with other people who’ve posted here, it ain’t a Wi-Fi issue, it’s definitely a software problem! 

Writing as an owner of a non-functioning HomePod (and the victim of an Apple Genius Bar employee who alleged an electricity surge to abdicate Apple of any responsibility in remedying the situation!), I generally like the Sonos One. However (and much like the HomePod), I’d greatly appreciate a product that actually works as described. Perhaps one day in the future my appreciation will marry reality; I’m 57 and realize it may not happen within my lifetime!

I’ve had this issue for around 6 months now too, started as soon as I switched back to Apple Music from Tidal.

The problem: For me, the issue is isolated to “Apple Music → My Music → Artists” and “Apple Music → My Music → Albums”. The precise error message is “We’ve run into a problem. Try again.”

SONOS TEAM: this is NOT a wifi issue. This is a software bug that needs to be raised with the appropriate product manager. The fact that Playlists and the Songs are both working perfectly fine makes this glaringly clear to anyone familiar with the Apple Music API that there is bug in the code specific to the Artists and Album routes. This is not an account issue or a broad authentication issue, since every Song in the account can be returned perfectly fine under “Apple Music → My Music → Songs”. Happy to get into more detail with the PM if you want to have them reach out to me.

There’s a few recurring themes and my guess is that they are affecting something in the code for these routes — for example, many of us have changed the country associated with our account. This could be stored incorrectly somewhere and causing an issue.

Really hoping the team at Sonos can step up to the plate and raise this issue to the product manager. It’s really frustrating that this is simply being ignored, as it’s ruining a large part of the Sonos experience for many of us.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

“WiFi issue” seems to be the Sonos support answer to everything.

There are clearly problems between Apple Music and Sonos. Sonos needs to get a clue and implement a proper Problem Reporting and Tracking system that’s available to support agents. Then they could do the right thing and say “yes, that’s a known problem, and our crack development team will get around to working on it any year now”, instead of wasting everyone’s time with pointless diagnostics.

I have the same problem when trying to access my apple playlists. “We’ve run into a problem.  Try again”

The funny thing is that when I search for a specific apple playlist I am able to play it successfully.   This is a recent problem for me.  I have removed my Apple Music as a service on Sonos and reinstalled it.  I have also signed out of Sonos and signed back in.  What is going on?  Help please?

I have the same problem when trying to access my apple playlists. “We’ve run into a problem.  Try again”

The funny thing is that when I search for a specific apple playlist I am able to play it successfully.   This is a recent problem for me.  I have removed my Apple Music as a service on Sonos and reinstalled it.  I have also signed out of Sonos and signed back in.  What is going on?  Help please?

So what are you playing from the Apple music service? Is it a ‘saved shortcut’ to a playlist that has perhaps moved on the Apple iCloud servers? If that’s the case, have you tried removing the link and recreating it.

Just to say, I’m fairly new to the Apple service and I’m not seeing the issue, but if it’s not saved playlists I will happily try a couple of things here, if you want to perhaps outline some examples. I will post back what I see here.

I’ve suffered with the same issue for about a month. I’ve tried all of the suggestions put forward by the sonos team, but none of them has succeeded in solving the problem. I am a Sonos customer of long standing, this is by far the worst supported issue in 15 years. Sort it out Sonos team.

Same issue just started for me this morning after working fine for years. One thing to note is that my Eero Router updated last night , so that might be a bread crumb to follow. Have been reinstalling, rebooting, re-signing in to Apple music apps etc to no avail. But all indications are that something funky is happening because of that router update. Are other people here having issue using Eero as well?

Badge +1

Obviously still a problem. It’s probably been a year since I first encountered it. Everything was working fine this morning and now after returning home, I’m having this problem with the “For You” section of Apple Music. No problems with “Recently Played” or “Recently Added”.

The Sonos app is generally just flaky and I’ve (tried to) learn to accept it. One minute, Sonos Playlists are missing but Apple Music works great. A few hours later, Sonos Playlists are back but parts of Apple Music are broken. I guess you can’t have both, you just have to be happy with whatever the app serves up! Wireless interference and Internet issues are often cited as potential causes (and indeed they were, in the first few posts in this thread!) but maybe it’s time for the Sonos app to be rewritten from the ground up to fix these kinds of random issues and stop being so flaky. Super frustrating.

I’m also one of many with the same issue. Worked spotlessly for years (regardless changes to my network) until a few months ago and now I can only access my playlists through MySonos menu, but nothing through My Music. This poor excuse of network interference, if that was the case then surely it wouldn’t work via the MySonos menu either. 
Needless to say, all works like a charm with the Apple Music app. 

Come on Sonos, step up and fix this!

The Apple Music service on Sonos is working okay here - so it might perhaps be an account, regional, or country setting perhaps? Maybe check the Country settings are correct both in the Sonos online profile and Apple Music. Here are some links which I hope assists:

https://www.sonos.com/myaccount/user/profile/

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201389

And if not tried already, maybe remove the service from Sonos, then logout the Apple Music ‘native’ App and setup both again, starting with the Apple Music App.

Same problem here. Cannot navigate in ‘my music’ via Sonos. App says ‘Your library is not available right now, please try again later’.

I’m using a new Apple Music account (Apple One Family). Tried and checked everything from the back to the front and back again: Wifi, LAN, network, software updates, iCloud settings, library settings: really EVERYTHING. Been on the phone with Sonos support for 45’ minutes. Been emailing with them. Nothing helped. No solution at all, but the internet is FULL OF COMPLAINTS about this topic. Really frustrating.

SERIOUSLY @Sonos , GET US OUT OF THIS !!

So the implication is that Apple changed something on their side, and are not sending the correct data back to Sonos when requested?

@Ken_Griffiths This is a great suggestion, and in fact it was right after I changed my Apple and Sonos accounts from USA to UK that the problem started. So both are now set to UK (after I physically moved to England)

I did try your suggestion of removing the service from Sonos, then logging out of the Apple music app on all my devices. Then setting both up again, Apple first. But that hasn’t worked either. 

The frustrating part for me is that PARTS of Apple Music on Sonos work for me, such as being able to search for and play music. Just not the ‘My Music’ function. I’ve added my partner to my Apple Music family plan and added her account to Sonos, and it works fine  

There is a bug with the Sonos controller. I hope they fix it. 

Don’t you need an "iTunes Match" annual subscription to play your own music on other devices, or am I misunderstanding the purpose of that Apple subscription?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Apple Music includes the iTunes Match functionality. The “My Music” bit on Sonos is to access your Apple Music playlists, etc. I really miss it. 

Apple Music includes the iTunes Match functionality. The “My Music” bit on Sonos is to access your Apple Music playlists, etc. I really miss it. 

I take it then it’s not music that you own that you are referring to? As the iTunes Match part of an Apple Music subscription relates to Apple Music ‘leased’ tracks only, whereas the  iTunes Match separate subscription is for tracks you own.. I just mention that in case you were attempting here to play your own ‘purchased/ripped’ tracks on Sonos in ‘My Music’.

No. Within the Apple Music subscription ‘iTunes Match’ is referred to as ‘iCloud Music Library’, and the ‘iCloud Music Library’ is part of the Apple Music subscription model. So yes, it’s perfectly possible to play your own uploaded tracks through Sonos this way.

Thanks Smilja for clarifying, I wasn’t quite sure if it applied to a users own ripped tracks.

Presumably as the built in AM service via the Sonos App is done by Apple anyway, I would have thought this would have been more an Apple account issue, rather than a Sonos one? That said my Apple playlists are working here, but they are ‘leased’ tracks rather than my own ‘ripped’ songs.

@gravityattracts @ryancarpenter27, Have you tried turning 'Sync Library' off and on again?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@Smilja Yes