Answered

Apple Music "Unable to browse music"

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

129 replies

Exactly the same scenario for me. Have repeated the steps above many times,  to not avail. After the debacle of S1 to S2 not being compatible, everything was upgraded to S2, including 7 Connect powered amps. 

Now further issues which Sonos can’t seem to resolve. 

Sonos, fix the Apple Music connectivity issue…!

Hello Sonos Support, the reported “unable to browse music” issue for Apple music has been solved for me. Thank you very much for fixing it. 

Kind regards, Jeroen

And same issue for me. Hope you guys are able to fix this issue soon. 
have a nice day everyone.

I have the same issue. Three or four days ago I noticed for the first time when I tried to play apple music directly from the sonos S2 app I get the message “unable to browse music”. I have tried reconnecting by reauthorizing acocunt, by removing account. By signing in and out of both apple music but all te no avail. Reading this thread makes me believe there is nothing I can do from my end to fix the issue. It is either with apple or sonos or both. Please consider this a bug that needs to be fixed soon.

Add me to the list of frustrated users experiencing this same issue within the last several days.  Have tried communicating the problem to Sonos via support chat, email, and a feedback survey.  Hopefully they are addressing this and will resolve soon.

This smells like a $ problem, Apple no doubt wanted more to make there product available to SONOS. 

I must say that Apple/Sonos have done a real nice job on the new music interface... I like the fact Apple have added the users iCloud library at the top of their service and that the library can be ‘starred’ and added to the ‘My Sonos’ tab in the Sonos App - just a nice way to quickly gain access a users own ‘matched’ library files.

It challenges the Plex interface on Sonos, plus I really like the new Apple Music categories, such as:

• Top Picks
  • Made For You
  • New Releases
  • Replay Your Top Songs by Year
  • Our Picks
  • Music by Mood
  • Daily Top 100
  • Radio Shows
  • Stations by Genre
  • and others…

…this ‘by far’ is much better than their old/S1 Apple Service interface.

Now, If only Apple/Sonos will go onto support 24/48 ALAC/Atmos audio on Sonos speakers, then that will be the icing on the cake.  

Userlevel 1

Hi @chriso205 

I appreciate your point, though in the vast majority of cases like this we only know about such a thing after customers flag it with us. Once we spot a trend, we investigate and if we are able to replicate the problem easily, we’ll update the status page. The nature of this particular issue meant that different regions were affected at different times and only a limited number of accounts were affected at all, making the issue more problematic to confirm.

Fair counterpoint. Glad it’s resolved :)

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Does not work here. Problem started Thursday! The silence and inaction from Sonos is inexcusable. Anyone buying their products is out of their mind. I am returning my Sonos that I can. It’s pretty outrageous!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I don’t expect Sonos had all that much to do with it, it would have been Apple using most of the features allowed in the Sonos API.

I don’t think Sonos does any particular work on each streaming companies interface in the Sonos Controller.  To my knowledge, that work is done on the streaming side, the only thing that Sonos does is “approve” work, essentially it passes a QA check.

That’s my understanding, at least, and how I would set it up. To expect Sonos to work on every single interface for each streaming company seems like it could be challenging, to keep up with each company’s desires. 

Indeed, Sonos had nothing to do with this, all the work was from Apple.

How do I know this? Because the new Apple stuff showed up in my app, and I didn’t have to change a thing for that to happen.

The SMAPI architecture is designed for exactly this reason: so that Sonos can support ~80 services without having to different write and maintain code for ~80 services. It wasn’t like this in the early days: Pandora and Rhapsody each had their own APIs and Sonos (and I!) had to code each one individually. This overhead was not scalable.

Hi, not using S2 app. 

Your online account says you have a Play:5 (gen1) and a Play:3, why on earth would you return any products to Sonos, particularly as this is just an Apple issue anyway?…it’s their music service plugin and it will more-likely be down to Apple to fix this one. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

This is 100% a Sonos issue. Sonos does not even have the decency to keep their customers informed, why would you give business to a company like that?

Not an Apple issue.  Lengthy troubleshooting with tech support and using Sonos 1 on Android, but it was partially corrected using a workaround.  Issue is > Add Service [Apple Music] > links to Apple Music app for authorization > completes authorization > Done > returns to Sonos app > Unable to browse library (music - I can’t remember).  Tried changing DNS on phone and router, just wouldn’t work.  Used an IOS device and worked on the first try.  Diagnostics for IOS and Android devices furnished to Sonos.  Sonos opened a case and will email me when adding via Android app should work.  Said they will likely just update the app for user base.  So Apple Music is now working in the Sonos 1 app on Android, but only after establishing the Sonos/Apple Music account setup through the Apple Music account that is registered on and activated on the IOS device.  

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Sounds like a long wait before Sonos is anything but an expensive paper weight!

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

OK, I think I found a way to fix this.  Go into your STAR section (Recently played) and choose one of your apple playlists from there.  It played for me.  Then I went back into Music, chose Apple Music and it is all there again.  Hope it works for all of you!

Does not work for me doing this

It still isn’t working for me, I contacted support on the phone yesterday, who advised me to log out of everything and change my AppleID credentials, but that hasn’t helped either.

All other services are working okay, but I just see ‘unable to browse’ for the Apple service.. it’s also working for me on my S1 system🤔, just not S2.

I can search in the Sonos App and see results from Apple Music and play tracks, but just not seeing anything from their plugin Sonos Service interface. I did switch off every bit of security I have in place for my local network to ensure there was nothing that could block the service (different DNS tried too), but no joy with that. I have another Sonos system at a different home location, so will try that try that in the next week or two and see if a different network/setup makes any difference.

I will just keep trying, oh and Support Staff were really most helpful and are kindly looking into the matter along with some other reports, but I’m fairly confudent this will likely be an Apple issue,

This is now resolved for me. Hope the other folks still experiencing issues have theirs resolved soon. 

Badge

Got the same issue for days now. Before this i was not always able to start certain playlists from my collection of playlists. This is going on for a few months now. I am forced to work with Deezer again because i don’t have the impression Sonos or Apple find this a high priority. I conclude Sonos and Apple Music is one combination you’d better avoid using. Ridiculous 

I got the error message a couple of days ago, but now it works just fine. Not only that, but now selecting Apple Music in the music services list, I get the full Apple Music home screen with all the same music suggestions of the native iOS app. Before that, I was still getting the very old “for you” tab.

I am going to submit the diagnostic of my system tomorrow, and try to contact support tomorrow or Monday… 

I am having the same issue - Apple Family Account.

Same issue here. Neither iPad nor iPhone will let me browse Apple Music on Sonos. All other streaming services are working fine, and Apple Music is working fine outside of Sonos. I text chatted with support, and the tech really tried to figure it out, but to no avail. He ultimately wanted me to try to reconfigure my home wifi router. Not sure what purpose that would serve since all the other services are working fine. I’m still hoping for someone to figure this out and share their success story! 

OK, I think I found a way to fix this.  Go into your STAR section (Recently played) and choose one of your apple playlists from there.  It played for me.  Then I went back into Music, chose Apple Music and it is all there again.  Hope it works for all of you!

Just tried this and it worked. The playlist I selected came up unavailable, but when I went back to the main Apple Music option it kicked back into life 

Two different sets of folks, most likely. It would be odd to have the product designers working on software….

Hey everyone.

New to this forum but appreciate that it exists.  Got the “Unable to browse music” error today and found this thread.  Tried some of the suggestions to no avail.  I did find a workaround however (would prefer the Sonos app to work, but in the meantime) . . . . opened apple music on my iphone and and did an airplay to my sonos speakers.  It works. . . . 

Good luck everyone

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

I just want to say that the new Apple Music interface in the Sonos S2 app works more than perfect both in terms of operation and sound quality on my Port and on my iPad and iPhone, here in Denmark

Are those people who have problems, people who do not use the S2 app and / or not use Apple products when operating Sonos ?