Skip to main content
Answered

Apple Music does not play from the Sonos app

Hi,

I have Sonos Beam gen1, two Sonos SLs and the Sub Mini in my setup. Everything connected by WiFi.  I have Apple Music and YouTube Music connected in the app. Recently Apple Music has essentially stopped working and as far as I can see from the other topics there is some issue related to the lossless support that was added by Apple. The app displays that it is playing a track, the lossless icon is present but no sound is played, it can play for a few seconds and then sound disappears. Via airplay all Apple Music tracks play just fine. YouTube music works well. Having looked at all the topics related to this issue on the forum I see there were some recommendations to reconnect the system, etc. That did not help. Is the Sonos (or Apple ?) team working on the solution to the problem? Just want to understand if it is something related to any of my Sonos components not being supporting l lossless or is the issue on the other side? Thanks. 

50 replies

Morning!

I am extremely frustrated. My system was working FINE a couple of weeks ago and now I am unable to play anything from Apple Music without it cutting in and out. I am able to play Sonos Radio, Amazon Music without any issues. Any more ideas ?

I can also confirm it does not cut out when I AirPlay from my iPhone.

I do not see any updates for the app/firmware from yesterday - any idea how I force that ?

Thanks!

The best solution is to avoid the buggy AF Sonos app. Use airplay instead. 

@Bumper 

I’ve see you use “AF” when referring to the Sonos app in many posts.  What does “AF” mean?

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Something the moderator would have to edit if posted in full

🤦‍♀️ wtf 🤣

Morning!

I can also confirm it does not cut out when I AirPlay from my iPhone.

Even if you do take @Bumpers advice above and use AirPlay, if the next App update does not resolve your issue, I would still go onto submit your diagnostic report and speak with Sonos Support about the matter, otherwise Sonos may not become aware of the problem and of course there’s then no saying if/when it might get fixed for you, so I’d not just sidestep the issue with AirPlay, especially as it requires playback through the controller device, rather than your speakers playing direct from the audio source. Anyhow let’s see what the App update brings.

Sonos read every post here, or so I’ve been told. They must be aware. But it’s never a bad idea to contact support if you have the time and ability to wait to get through. The app is so new and untested we all might be edge cases so if you do thank you for your service. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

So I contacted Sonos support today. I provided diagnostic info from my system. We tried changing WiFi channels, connecting the Beam using wired connection. All the time the person from the support team was collecting diagnostic data and monitoring what could go wrong. The issue still reproduced even on wired connection. As we tried everything that was possible to do over the chat, they asked me to contact them via a phone call which is difficult to me as I am based not in USA. So I would suggest that any of you guys who have the same issue contact them via a phone call and provide any information needed. Maybe that will help them to narrow down the issue and find the root cause. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Same issue for me today. Apple Music cutting out. Was working fine before.  I applied the update today…wondering if that broke something?

Hello everybody!! Same issue. I chatted with Sonos Support yesterday and it worked just fine for almost an hour. As soon as I finished my conversation it failed again. I will try to contact via phone today and let you all know if I get to something

App update today! I was hopeful it would fix the issue … alas, still cutting out. Frustrating when you have thousands of dollars tied up in a sound system that doesn’t work the way it should!!!

App update today! I was hopeful it would fix the issue … alas, still cutting out. Frustrating when you have thousands of dollars tied up in a sound system that doesn’t work the way it should!!!

Just to say I don’t understand why or how the Sonos App would ‘fix’ the audio cutting out on a Sonos speaker/product? The App is just a ‘remote control’ it’s not a player. So just as an example, you could start music playback on your Sonos products via the App and then close the App and even power off the mobile device and the music will carry on playing - if the playing audio cuts out, it’s unlikely going to be anything to do with the Sonos App. It’s much more likely that you have a LAN/WAN issue between the audio source and the speaker(s). So it could be WiFi interference for example, or a faulty cable etc. Maybe this link will prove helpful…

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/reduce-wireless-interference

Userlevel 1
Badge

I was able to reproduce this  even with wired connection so it is not a WiFi issue.

I was able to reproduce this  even with wired connection so it is not a WiFi issue.

…and not a Sonos App issue either. The App can be closed after playback begins. 

I bought Sonos era 300 today. Apple Music doesn’t work on Sonos app at all. 
When I try to play song it just skips to another. And Apple Music is the only streaming service I'm using. 
I can play music through Bluetooth using Apple Music app though - but then I loose spatial audio feature which was game changer for me when I was choosing this device.

Funny thing, when I choose to play radio - it works.. sometimes.

It’s huge disappointment, to pay so much money for something that just does not work.

And yes, I've all latest updates on my phone and Sonos era 300. 

I bought Sonos era 300 today. Apple Music doesn’t work on Sonos app at all. 
When I try to play song it just skips to another. And Apple Music is the only streaming service I'm using. 
I can play music through Bluetooth using Apple Music app though - but then I loose spatial audio feature which was game changer for me when I was choosing this device.

Funny thing, when I choose to play radio - it works.. sometimes.

It’s huge disappointment, to pay so much money for something that just does not work.

And yes, I've all latest updates on my phone and Sonos era 300. 

It’s working okay here, maybe check the WiFi connection to your speaker is okay - see this link:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/understanding-the-network-details-section-in-the-sonos-app

See if you have an SNR level of 45dB or higher… if so then go onto check the things mentioned in this link too:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/reduce-wireless-interference

Sometimes a simple reboot of the local router may resolve the matter aswell.

Same problem. I’ve observed that when Apple Music drops, apparently the music still playing on the app (the play icon is on) but the speaker is in silence. If I move to the next song, or even if I change the playlist, the app shows that the speaker is playing the new song  but it is not producing any sound. If I change to other service as for example Sonos Radio the Sonos starts playing again.

It’s completely frustrating, and it is impossible for me listening to Apple Music for more than two or three songs in a row!

Userlevel 1
Badge

The more people reach out to Sonos support the more chances they admit there is some issue and start working on fixing it, I think. 

The more people reach out to Sonos support the more chances they admit there is some issue and start working on fixing it, I think. 

You obviously haven’t seen this:

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/blog/update-on-the-sonos-app?utm_source=community-care&utm_medium=blog-patrick

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have seen that but I do not see anything related to this issues on that list. Unless it is in “overall system stability and error handling“ which I doubt. 

You obviously haven’t seen this:

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/blog/update-on-the-sonos-app?utm_source=community-care&utm_medium=blog-patrick

I think it is not a problem of the Sonos app, but the firmware of the speakers. If fact it also happens if the Sonos is playing music without running the app.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Same problem. I’ve observed that when Apple Music drops, apparently the music still playing on the app (the play icon is on) but the speaker is in silence. If I move to the next song, or even if I change the playlist, the app shows that the speaker is playing the new song  but it is not producing any sound. If I change to other service as for example Sonos Radio the Sonos starts playing again.

It’s completely frustrating, and it is impossible for me listening to Apple Music for more than two or three songs in a row!

I am also having this problem, it started today. Some playlists/radio I can’t even start playing whereas others they stop playing after a few songs with the same symptoms you outlined.

Sonos incompetence strikes again.

I have same issue with my system. 
1. Click on apple and hit play. The music looks like playing but no sound. 
2. It then goes to next song and plays 16 second no song. 

I have latest software , updated firmware , deleted and reconnected apple. 

The software update from Sonos is 100 flawed and us bugs in it. Been like this for over a month. 

I gave $2500 in speakers I cannot play my Apple Music through any one of them.   I have iPhone 15 and latest software Of apple iPhone and Apple Music.  
Needs fixed now. 

Jeff 

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

I used to get the “Encoding” error frequently when playing Atmos tracks through Arc-Sub-300s.  What was weird is if I started the track over it would play with no error.  All this was happening before the new app even existed.  Still get the occasional “Encoding” error, but not often.

What bothers me more is the not so perfect gapless performance when playing Atmos.

FIX IT SONOS

I’m not looking forward to the day when all these * updates drive Sonos out of business and we all end up with thousands of dollars of bricked speakers.  Fix your * , Sonos!

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

Same problem here, i almost threw the stuff out, with a kid next to me nagging about hearing a song.