Question

Yesterdays (March 11th, 2016) Sonos Anouncment

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

112 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1
And Google and Amazon just took the butter away from your bread.
Good Point......I went back and searched and found nothing.

Is this a good thing?

I don't see it matters, CES is three days out of the year, it doesn't make or break anything that I can determine, Sonos certainly seem to have decided some time ago that it doesn't "add value" for them (apologies for the horrible Corp-speak...).
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Ok ....so your intregrated with lots of folks and people have 2-3 4 year old equipment.

Integration will always be growing and changing but generates no $$$$$

What's your next move?
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Good Point......I went back and searched and found nothing.

Is this a good thing?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Echo could cut into Play:1 sales - which is a new market for Sonos anyhow over the past few years (its first real speaker for the lower end market). I wouldn't think that echo would have any effect on the sales for larger Sonos speakers or multiroom. Google Chromecast and now Echo Dot may push more into that direction with the former still not having any method of multiroom.

Integrators is where Sonos had its original market. And from a support side alone I don't see them moving to any of the new technologies.
To my knowledge Sonos have never announced anything at CES, so that in itself isn't unusual.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
One more thing and it's kind of touched on by paul123w.

Did the recent anouncement send groves of people to the store or keep them away?

I guess it's nice to get the truth but I am just not sure it was good for business.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
In the age of ever changing technology people want to know what's next.

I don't what to have to buy new gear but only add to what I already think is awesome.

Maybe a battery powered speaker?

Maybe a outdoor speaker?

Maybe it's voice control (and for the record the Echo gets it closer to right than siri and Google)?

We don't even know if refreshes are coming for the play3 or other products.

My point is I don't want or need something new every 6 months but other than Apple Music (which I could careless about) what's next and when?

I couldn't believe CES went by without a peep from SONOS.......how many big name comperiors and less expensive products were announcements at CES?

When you announce cut backs in staff and talk about focus on streaming music as the future and say nothing else you have to wonder especially when you already support more than enough streamimg services ( I kind of already thought it was a focus).
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Well the CEO says "Echo has found a sweet spot", which sounds like code for they are hitting sonos new customer sales, and hence layoffs and rush to voice.
http://www.cnet.com/news/echo-effect-how-amazons-alexa-will-give-voice-to-more-devices/
Echo not in UK yet, so all new news to me.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
How has a restricted access product impacted Sonos? Big world out there. The Europe market alone is larger than the US. How will Echo be received around the world. What of other voice systems? What of the dozen different automation systems? Germany is the next largest market for Amazon so Alexa is going to have to be multilingual. Maybe the local accents in Europe confuse the poor thing. I suspect there are far more than there are in the US. Will the Echo work at all?

Why would a global company, Sonos, make global decisions based upon something that is only available to 5% (a guess figure. It may be even less) of consumers.

I doubt Amazon care much what you listen to media on that you have bought from them but would likely prefer you to use their product so they can mop up those impulse buys.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
The whole sonos business model is based on cash from new hardware sales, there is no annual subscription. If suddenly you new sales dry up because of Amazon Echo in America, what do you pay all your staff with.....free sonos stock from the warehouse? or cash left over from sales of 10 years ago...long gone.
The danger is people like you hold off buying that sub..
Myself, I don't want voice, I like to browse music. The same way I prefer a good paper back book on the beach.
From what I have seen of voice so far from parrot, siri, automated phone systems, is it hardly ever gets it right, and frustration kicks in spoiling that relaxing music chill out you were planning.
There's at least three threads discussing all this, seems to me they've cut staff from the development programs that they think are no longer worth pursuing, which, to my mind at least, probably means anything to do with local music storage. That won't go away, there just won't be any more development on that, so no increase in the 65k limit etc.