Question

Yesterdays (March 11th, 2016) Sonos Anouncment

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

112 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +11
It is a shame that those who wish to engage in a discussion but are unable to attribute their failure to "fanboy". Making a statement which is then discussed as a no gooer simply points out what it is.

Sonos does something. Very well.

There are many "I want" threads/posts which are just statements with no thought or reason other than "I want". Should the "I want" be reduced to "I want" by the practical application of facts then so be it?

Someone who disagrees with you is neither a troll or fanboy. It is their opinion. Of which there are plenty. Some can see how something could not work because of xyz or it would create new problems.
Sorry, but it is not "fanboy" to correct decidedly false information (TruePlay "required to set up") or to quell rampant speculation for which there is zero evidence.
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
Ok, my first post here, in part prompted by the unkind treatment handed out by some to others. It's seems the company loyalty (or 'fanboyism') that pervades most sites Apple related is now all pervasive. I don't think multi-million pound companies like Sonos need the likes of us jumping to their defence at the slightest hint of dissent. Nor do I think Pops44 needs my support. But he, like all of us, are entitled to our thoughts / concerns, or heaven forbid -- our moans or complaints. If we were talking about a toaster oven then nobody would care. But when we are talking about possibly several thousands of pounds of kit that rely on software updates and back end servers to work why shouldn't we all be concerned? Nobody is suggesting that we wake up one morning to find that nothing works anymore. But last weeks announcement is bound to have us all guessing whether the kind of kit we all bought into will have a very long support life with Sonos itself. I have recently moved house and left a 6 zone Sonos system in situ. I will now delay any install in my new house until Sonos clarifies their direction. I'm sure this seed of doubt is what pops44 was alluding to, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who shares that with him. And that, at the, end of the day, can't be good for Sonos. Some clarification is needed, and is that such a big ask considering the investment we've all made? Anyway, that is all. Let's just be nice to each other, ok? Big hugs. AS
I have requested my posts be pulled.......and my ID removed.

I am very sorry

No need to pull your posts. It's understandable that the announcement causes one to wonder, but there is nothing there that gives even a slight possibility that Sonos will be bought by Apple. None. If anything, it points to a partnership with Amazon.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sonos should as it has always done ... Be service independent. It's not about being behind its about allowing variety of services so you are not dependent on any.

I am very sorry

Come on pops44 stick around. You can't expect everyone to see this the way you do, no reason to delete your account.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I am very sorry
So far, you have 14 posts, every one of them predicting the worst. That's not "talking", that's Chicken Little. Like I said, take a breath.
Sonos is a hardware company, you're talking like they've sold all the hardware they're ever going to sell. The sales figures don't back that up.

Sonos doesn't have to compete with streaming services, they just have to support them. Sonos doesn't have to compete with other people's voice control, they just have to support it. Streaming services and voice control are useless if you have nothing to play it on, ie hardware. I just don't see Amazon moving into hardware in any serious manner. It's not their line of business, same as streaming music services are not Sonos' line of business. Voice control is an online service, the local hardware doesn't do the processing itself. It should be relatively trivial to incorporate any voice control service into internet connected hardware like Sonos. You just need a microphone, that's Sonos' current issue, only one of their devices has a mic. That will need sorting.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
We are just talking......What's next for Sonos after Thursday announment ?

Are you not curios?
Stop spreading misinformation. TruePlay is 100% optional, it is not "required to set up". The "hype" about Apple Music was from Apple, being very late to the party for third party streamers, well behind Google.

Pops44, you are new here, so I will try to be gentle. Shotgunning post after post filled with nothing but rabid speculation or wild conspiracies will not endear you to the locals. Sit back, take a breath, and let more information come in before screaming the world is ending.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Correct no hype on here about Apple Music....but did you read all the stories?
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Is sonos...

Going to do it's own voice control (probably not, too far behind)

Going to create it's own streaming service (to far behind)

More integration won't generate big dollars (it will drive some more hardware sales to a degree)

Direct connections/ties Apple or even dare I say Amazon expands there customer base.

Apple fans are a crazy bunch imagine a corner of an Apple store deadicted to Sonos with apple music playing.......they wouldn't be able to keep them in stock.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
True play has been explained multiple times - microphone consistency is why requires. Apple Music. No special hype hen by users
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I really really hope I am wrong.

True play apple product required to set up.

Apple Music lots of hype.

Apple drops Beats development of SONOS type product.

Mentions Amazon Echo by name several times (doesn't want apple low balling them aka we have other options).

Like I said I hope I am wrong....not an apple fan.
Were ready to sell.

Where did you get that from?

A privately held company that doesn't share a road map for future products but announces job cuts is looking for a suitor.

Sonos have never shared their roadmap. The entire business is in a state of flux, nailing themselves into one path now would be a mistake, imo.

Just don't be surprised when it happens in the second or third quatter .

I'm less than convinced by your argument.
They are cleaning up the bottom line and all that was said on Thursday is.

We like what Amazon is doing with voice.

We like what apple is doing with streaming.

Were ready to sell.

A privately held company that doesn't share a road map for future products but announces job cuts is looking for a suitor.

That would be unfortunate. Despite all the theories about how Squeezebox was done in by a business model that allowed software players to undermine hardware sales, the fact is it was Logitech that destroyed it. I believe Sonos will eventually come to a similar end if it is purchased by a larger company regardless of which giant takes it over.

Let's hope your analysis is wrong in this case.
Regarding the announcement, how do you Sonos customers who have been with them for many years, (before the paid streaming explosion) feel about the direction and implications on local library future?
I first bought into Sonos in 2007 when my CD player died. Several weeks later my CD collection was ripped to FLAC on a NAS, and the ease of access to all corners of my library at the click of a wheel (a CR100 in them days) was a minor marvel.

Today I still have a playlist which shuffles the local library (migrated to a 256GB flash stick since it's now static) for background use, but if I sit down to listen to something, even when at the computer, I'll mostly play from Deezer Elite. It has all the newer releases I'm interested in (and often suggests them) and frequently carries remastered/deluxe versions which sound better than CDs I'd bought years ago.
Regarding the announcement, how do you Sonos customers who have been with them for many years, (before the paid streaming explosion) feel about the direction and implications on local library future?

They haven't really done much with local library that I can tell for many years but as someone who still buys music (and 2 paid subscriptions) I'm not sure what to make of this.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
They are cleaning up the bottom line and all that was said on Thursday is.

We like what Amazon is doing with voice.

We like what apple is doing with streaming.

Were ready to sell.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1
That was very friendly....Thank You
Thanks Chris......that's my point. At the end of the day there still a hardware company.

They put mics in the play5 v2 what's the big secret on what there for?

There's no secret, they put them on there because they could, they had the opportunity to include them, so they did. What will they be used for? Who knows? Voice control is a possibility, further enhancements to Trueplay perhaps, the point is they don't have to have just one purpose, the possibilities are open and always will be.

I have a playbar and love it but there is nothing but smack talk all over this community.

Go somewhere else then. What is it you want? Sonos don't preannounce developments, they never have. Not many companies do, I don't know why people only complain about Sonos doing that.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Thanks Chris......that's my point. At the end of the day there still a hardware company.

They put mics in the play5 v2 what's the big secret on what there for?

I have a playbar and love it but there is nothing but smack talk all over this community.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
If you sit on the bench long enough you forget how to play.....isn't that what Thursdays really announcement said?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
We have never heard anything on the rumored play:base and is it still in pipeline (rumored soundbar base or super connect - Unknown)