Question

Yesterdays (March 11th, 2016) Sonos Anouncment

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

112 replies

My speculation:

Sonos will use an existing voice enablement service; it would take years to develop their own. Likely Houndify, which is as capable as Alexa.
https://www.houndify.com/

They will sell a standalone microphone array device, small and possibly portable, so it could also be used for room tuning. Later, they will integrate microphone array into new/refreshed speaker line.

They will begin to work with one of the home automation providers, probably one that already integrates with the voice service they choose.

Interesting. So you think Sonos is going whole hog in taking on Amazon instead of utilizing the Echo/Alexa interface. Ambitious take. I can see it happening, but will/can they be that bold? One thing I do agree, they are going to use/aquire outside tech. There's no way they can start from scratch. Which may be why they are cleaning up, it could be opening up space (financial and work space) for new talent. It may be that the base tech is pretty set, and new blood is needed.
Bored now.

Quite yer bitchin. I'm kidding, promise I'm kidding.

I think Sonos will strengthen their relationship with Apple, continue marketing together, integrate Apple music better. Mac OS update will integrate Sonos at the system level (not my idea, think I read it on Volker Weber's blog) - might explain why the Sonos controller look has not been updated, but maybe not. This will extend to iOS. Siri will be extended to work with Sonos.

Volker has some good thoughts on the blog post here, seems on topic http://vowe.net/archives/015490.html
Would be nice if ONE of these threads stayed OT...
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Bored now.

Let me correct the record again. I'm not attacking you personally, just correcting the facts. Here's to another 8 years, cheers.

Just today you've called me and other posters fanboys and bullies. That's as personal as it gets.

Just as you were wrong with Pops44, you are wrong here.

Let me correct the record again. I'm not attacking you personally, just correcting the facts. Here's to another 8 years, cheers.

Just today you've called me and other posters fanboys and bullies. That's as personal as it gets.

I've been posting here for going on 8 years. I've forgotten the number of Net Nannies who have come on here and attacked me personally because they can't argue my facts. If you think one more is going to do anything more than rise a chuckle, never mind strike a nerve, then you got some reading to do.

Oops I've hit a nerve by correcting the record. Oh I'm judging your replies, but I'll take the high road and not post them ;)

I've been posting here for going on 8 years. I've forgotten the number of Net Nannies who have come on here and attacked me personally because they can't argue my facts. If you think one more is going to do anything more than rise a chuckle, never mind strike a nerve, then you got some reading to do.
You've been doing a fair amount of judging on my replies for a while, why stop now?

Oops I've hit a nerve by correcting the record. Oh I'm judging your replies, but I'll take the high road and not post them 😉

Maybe he did, maybe he didn't. I'll make no judgement on the sense of your replies.

You've been doing a fair amount of judging on my replies for a while, why stop now?
Post #23 he says apple required for trueplay.

He edited it. Because the Apple stipulation was not there when I first replied. Otherwise my reply made no sense. As I said, shotgun stream of consciousness. Take a breath was good advice.

Maybe he did, maybe he didn't. I'll make no judgement on the sense of your replies.

He edited it. Because the Apple stipulation was not there when I first replied. Otherwise my reply made no sense. As I said, shotgun stream of consciousness. Take a breath was good advice.
Very little diffrtence. I believe he said Apple product required for Trueplay which is correct.

So you don't think Apple is going to buy Sonos?

No, he said "TruePlay required for set up." Which either means TruePlay is required to set up Sonos, or he's talking in some sort of shotgun stream of consciousness. Which is why I corrected him and advised him to slow down and take a breath. And no, I don't think there is one scintilla of evidence that Apple is buying Sonos. Not one. I find pops44's speculation to be tin foil hat territory.
My speculation:

Sonos will use an existing voice enablement service; it would take years to develop their own. Likely Houndify, which is as capable as Alexa.
https://www.houndify.com/

They will sell a standalone microphone array device, small and possibly portable, so it could also be used for room tuning. Later, they will integrate microphone array into new/refreshed speaker line.

They will begin to work with one of the home automation providers, probably one that already integrates with the voice service they choose.
Very little diffrtence. I believe he said Apple product required for Trueplay which is correct.

So you don't think Apple is going to buy Sonos?
I thought I made myself perfectly clear. But I will spell it out for you:

Non-rampant, non-baseless speculation:

He's sure mentioning Echo a lot. Gee, I know Sonos has a long standing relationship with Amazon, and the Echo architecture is open, maybe they are going to partner up instead of Sonos going it alone? Though the new Play:5 does have mics built-in, I wonder; is Amazon planning to license Alexa tech for embedding in other hardware?

Rampant, baseless speculation:

TruePlay required to set up! Hype about Apple Music! OMG! Apple's buying Sonos!

Now I know I've stylized it a little bit (not much, though). However, artistic license aside, it's not still not hard to see the difference.

I think you are one of the top two or three people on the boards in terms of knowledge of the product. This thread was started to engage in rampant speculation and by defnintion since we are all outsiders it is going to be totally baseless, whether it is by me, you or pops44. Do you not think these threads are against the forum rules or something, trying to understand why you say suppress or quell speculation.

That's some mighty selective editing. My actual comment was "quell rampant speculation for which there is zero evidence." If you are going to speculate, at least have some crumb of reality to base it on.

So you aren't trying to quell speculation here? So you are OK with only speculation that has a crumb of reality to base it on. None of us as outsiders have any reality to base it on other than the CEOs words. It follows that the same is true for the other side.

I think you are one of the top two or three people on the boards in terms of knowledge of the product. This thread was started to engage in rampant speculation and by defnintion since we are all outsiders it is going to be totally baseless, whether it is by me, you or pops44. Do you not think these threads are against the forum rules or something, trying to understand why you say suppress or quell speculation.

That's some mighty selective editing. My actual comment was "quell rampant speculation for which there is zero evidence." If you are going to speculate, at least have some crumb of reality to base it on.
Sorry, but it is not "fanboy" to correct decidedly false information (TruePlay "required to set up") or to quell rampant speculation for which there is zero evidence.

There's no problem speculating on what direction Sonos might take in terms of development but that isn't what pops is doing, he's basically saying Sonos will be sold and shut down within the year. That sort of speculation isn't helpful to anyone and will put people off buying the product, which, if Sonos sales are suffering, isn't exactly going to help matters.
I'm pretty sure the poster was criticizing the use of fanboy to minimize or discount an opinion, or to make pops out to be a victim of fanboys, rather than simply being corrected on his misinformation and rampant speculation. It's an easy excuse.
Sorry, but it is not "fanboy" to correct decidedly false information (TruePlay "required to set up") or to quell rampant speculation for which there is zero evidence.

It is a shame that those who wish to engage in a discussion but are unable to attribute their failure to "fanboy". Making a statement which is then discussed as a no gooer simply points out what it is.

Sonos does something. Very well.

There are many "I want" threads/posts which are just statements with no thought or reason other than "I want". Should the "I want" be reduced to "I want" by the practical application of facts then so be it?

Someone who disagrees with you is neither a troll or fanboy. It is their opinion. Of which there are plenty. Some can see how something could not work because of xyz or it would create new problems.

I agree with most of what you are saying. But just for clarification (ESL) are you saying that jgatie and The LHC aren't fanboys? I know it can be used pejoratively but they seem like passionate fans of the sonos product so by definition?

I prefer "logicboy" myself, that's usually when I wade in on something, when people say things that make no sense or defy any sort of common sense opinion. It's not solely related to Sonos...
It is a shame that those who wish to engage in a discussion but are unable to attribute their failure to "fanboy". Making a statement which is then discussed as a no gooer simply points out what it is.

Sonos does something. Very well.

There are many "I want" threads/posts which are just statements with no thought or reason other than "I want". Should the "I want" be reduced to "I want" by the practical application of facts then so be it?

Someone who disagrees with you is neither a troll or fanboy. It is their opinion. Of which there are plenty. Some can see how something could not work because of xyz or it would create new problems.

I agree with most of what you are saying. But just for clarification (ESL) are you saying that jgatie and The LHC aren't fanboys? I know it can be used pejoratively but they seem like passionate fans of the sonos product so by definition?
And you can take back that remark about this site being "Apple related" as well! I've never been so insulted!