Answered

Windows 10 Controller

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

411 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
When is the 'private beta' good enough to get released...? I saw the Sonos tile on a Windows 10 Mobile device couple of weeks ago.....can't wait for the app to be released!

Don't hold your breath, nor get your hopes up.
Please review this.

MS are targeting 1 BILLION W10 deployments over the next 20 months, this is in addition to W10P upgrades and purchases.

A universal app for ALL W10 based devices will become critical as W7 machines reduce in numbers and remove your need to create .exe x86 apps.

Happy to beta test for you :o)
I have Windows 10 on my Surface Pro 2. Windows 10 is so much better than even 8.1. Windows 10 phones will soon have a much bigger market share. Sonos, pay attention!!

Amen! 😃
Badge
The nay-sayers writing about the need for a Windows Universal app here, miss one important point, as do Sonos themselves...
Why limit your potential market and sales revenue by not fully supporting Windows Mobile or at least now Windows 10 Universal Apps?
How many potential customers have looked at Sonos and selected something else because of it's lack of support for WP and Windows Tablets?

Just a thought.

Is there now a UA expected for Windows 10, desktop, mobile and tablet?
How many potential customers have looked at Sonos and selected something else because of it's lack of support for WP and Windows Tablets?
Based on OS market share, presumably only about 2-3% of potential sales.
Badge
Ratty - you are talking about phone users only. Generally W10 uptake isn't going down.

Based on 2-3%, and considering Sonos' 2013 revenue of $535 million, that's still a healthy $10-16 million potential sales.
Enough to write and support a UA app?
Ratty - you are talking about phone users only.
I was, and your query addressed WP -- which I see the MS CEO himself is now saying is 'unsustainable' in terms of market share.

Based on 2-3%, and considering Sonos' 2013 revenue of $535 million, that's still a healthy $10-16 million potential sales. Enough to write and support a UA app?

I offer two words: opportunity cost. In other words Sonos could potentially deploy that same development resource and go after hundreds of $m of incremental revenue instead of just $20m or so.
Badge
I was talking about Windows 10 Universal Apps (UA). Desktop. Tablet. Phone.
This is way more than 2-3% of multi-platform OS market share.

I have Sonos. I have iOS (iPad). OSX (home). Win10 (work). Droid (tablet) and WP10 (work phone).
I am neither a fanbois nor a hater of any platform, and appreciate the best in each. I am also pragmatic. (Which might make me rare in this community)

My Sonos experience would be complete if I didn't have to find my iPad or Galaxy Tab to get a good UX experience using my Sonos equipment.
I am entitled to my opinions and the desire to express my needs to Sonos an it's community, and I am doing so in a polite and friendly manner, carrying a message I've see all over this community for many years, since I bought my first device.

Opportunity vs. Cost
How much do YOU think it would cost to embrace the opportunity? I own a software company and have a pretty good idea already.
Even for $10-15 million potential additional revenue, the ROI makes perfect business sense.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
I honestly don't know what the fuss is about, there is already a windows application. Surely SONOS can just convert this into a windows store app and everyone will be happy! Job done.....
Userlevel 3
Badge
Lieing to a customer would be saying they would support windows mobile and not. Sonos has never implored they were in anything I have seen.
Oh they haven't? And how would you call this:

Wow. Thanks for taking the time to check back on all those responses from Sonos. I was only going on memory when I made the tantamount to lying comment but seeing all those, shall we call them misleading, statements in one place really does bring it home how badly this company have behaved over the years. Add that to the fact that they trashed that particular thread, making it difficult to find and initially classifying it incorrectly during the move to this site despite it being their top request, and the verdict has to be quite damning. I have also continued to add to my system based on all the positive comments Sonos reps made on the previous site, feel like an idiot now, hindsight's a terrible thing...
Userlevel 1
Badge
Hello everyone,

Thanks for sharing your voice and suggestions here with us. We're always around, reading and monitoring every conversation here. We make sure to pass on the interest to our project management teams too.

Hello Ryan,

I purchased a Sonos connect with the intention of purchasing a play 1 and a play 5 at a later time. Now 6 months on, the lack of support for the Windows 10 platform means that I am seriously considering giving up and revert back to my squeezeboxes.

I'm obviously not expecting this sole example to change anything Sonos has in its project pipeline, but I thought it would be useful for you to understand that some of your customers are disappointed by the lack of support for a major OS platform to the point of abandoning the product altogether.
Very disapointed that there is no WP app yet from you guys. Considering most of the WP users are well paid business users im supprised at the lack of updates on this front 😕
Userlevel 1
Badge
Very disapointed that there is no WP app yet from you guys. Considering most of the WP users are well paid business users im supprised at the lack of updates on this front :/

A minor point, but the Windows Phone platform is a legacy product with a tiny market share. Windows 10 is the current product offering.
Years ago I had this same sort of conversation with Sonos regarding an Android app when I replaced an Apple iPod with an Android phone. They didn't know if Android would have enough users to write an app and, besides, there was a Phonos app. When they finally did write on, it was much more responsive than the Phonos one. I have since stop using Android or Apple phones for the matter in favor of Windows Mobile 10 which has a much superior UI (User Interface). I'm not sure that term is use anymore. If Volvo can write an app for their cars and SUV and Sphero can write one for a BB-8 toy, I would think Sonos could do it too. While they are conservative in producing new software, it usually do it right when they finally get around to it. Hopefully it will be sooner rather than later.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
bibbleq - you would be better off going with Bose as at lease they support Bluetooth streaing which is compatiable with windows Phone. they don't have a windows phone app yet, but I had a reply for tech support there an seems like they may have one in the pipeline. I have taken the shots so I ebay my stuff this weekend and making the change.
Last exchange on tweeter with Sonos...laconic answer :
Badge
https://www.change.org/p/mr-john-macfarlane-sonos-inc-support-the-windows-mobile-10-windows-10-platform-by-releasing-a-universal-windows-controller-app
Yeah, that'll do it. :rolleyes:
https://www.change.org/p/mr-john-macfarlane-sonos-inc-support-the-windows-mobile-10-windows-10-platform-by-releasing-a-universal-windows-controller-app

Signed!
SONOS look here: https://github.com/Microsoft/WinObjC/wiki#using-vsimporter

The UWP (Universal Windows Platfom) is a thing of beauty and major platform. I cannot fathom Sonos' reasons, if they are not far in development of a UWP app, but even a simple port of the iOS would be a great start.

But the lack of a real answer is worse than a negative answer. Even if we could just get a honost "no", that would mean I could jump ship and move on to competing products.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
SONOS look here: https://github.com/Microsoft/WinObjC/wiki#using-vsimporter

The UWP (Universal Windows Platfom) is a thing of beauty and major platform. I cannot fathom Sonos' reasons, if they are not far in development of a UWP app, but even a simple port of the iOS would be a great start.

But the lack of a real answer is worse than a negative answer. Even if we could just get a honost "no", that would mean I could jump ship and move on to competing products.

Hi AradoX,

It's our policy not to comment on possible future products or features. We do keep track of customer requests though. Many of the current features came from customer suggestions in the past. We'll be sure to make an announcement as soon as we have an update that we can share.

Could you name for me the competing product which has Windows mobile app support?

Hi AradoX,

It's our policy not to comment on possible future products or features. We do keep track of customer requests though. Many of the current features came from customer suggestions in the past. We'll be sure to make an announcement as soon as we have an update that we can share.

Thanks for the fast reply, Jeff!
Yeah, company policy can be a ...- well an annoyance 🙂 I know this too well from my own job.
Anyway, I'll just cross my fingers and thank you for noting the request.
Could you name for me the competing product which has Windows mobile app support?

I know app support is generally lacking, so I might have to go for something like casting or streaming for a start - maybe Bose?
I just got my Lumnia 950 yesterday, instead of an iPhone 6 - and except for lacking a real Sonos app I'm totally loving it!
But therefore, I have not had the time to dvelve deeply into the alternatives or the technical details. I already have Sonos, but my Brother has Bose - it could be a possibility. I will have to go visit him soon :)
I also truly think, that with UWP it should be a no-brainer for the companies. So if nothing else, then I'll just wait and go with the first company that makes an app.
(I'm not a total audiophile or "religious" about brands, so I'll go with whatever works best - which was the reason I chose Sonos over for instance Bluesound and Bose some time ago)
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
AradoX - The main advantage of Bose over Sonos is that Bose supports Bluetooth streaming. Bose also doesn't have a windows app, I think the first company to bring one out will get a large influx of users from windows (i.e if Bose release first many windows users will ditch sonos for it and vice versa). All the ney sayers will say "erg windows has such a small base so why bother". Still it maybe in the in the tens of thousands of users that would convert. I cast my eye over Bose, even had a look in my local shop but decided to stick with Sonos. I use the Phonos app which is not so great to honest.
One of this days Sonos will get its head out of the sand.