Will Sonos support Google Cast for Audio?

Userlevel 2
Just read the announcement of the new Google Cast for Audio (http://chrome.blogspot.com/2015/01/introducing-google-cast-for-audio.html). I don't see Sonos listed as an early supporter, though. Any chance something is in the works?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

162 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Only with an android controller, want iphone to do it as well.
It would allow bbc iplayer radio to cast to sonos, the major radio stations and massive podcast/catchup library in the uk.
Sonos already casts Google Music from the Google app to all Sonos units; what more are you looking to do with Chromecast Audio?
Now that Sonos will support Airplay 2, it would be logical to support Chromecast Audio too?
Well got a 3 really nice product good dlna, spotify and so on. But this is still going to be my last Sonos product.
Why the f=c.. does it not support Bluetooth just the freaking fun of it and most of all because customers would love it.
I seriously hate monopoly and patent products also the reason I don't own any Apple stuff.
So I am gonna sell the 3 and find a more open product.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Looks like vizio will, and 8hr portable speaker....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDvZjkU3wko
Badge
+1 for full Google cast support, and some sort of device to take advantage of the Google assistant without buying all new speakers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Google cast support.......YES PLEASE....my $99 relies on it ;O)

There is also the direction of making some type of new hardware device that handles all the GCA audio work and distributes the streams to the players.

Which is exactly what they did with the Dock. I'll go out on a limb and predict they will come out with a new device with microphone array, and possibly Google Cast support, to integrate the upcoming voice control capability. I'll even predict it will sell for $99. Bold, huh? Lol.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Of course many of us also have the input level GCA already. However it doesn't provide you the flexibility that native support would allow in playing multiple streams in a more unified manner.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
it could possibly become the first time sonos distinguishes legacy hardware with new hardware. I would assume the newer hardware would have much more ram then older hardware. At some point sonos is going to have to make a break and actually move beyond original equipment for the sake of the product moving forward. Some people won't like it and I'm sure there would be complaint (heck look at all the complaints just from the hardware controllers not being able to run setup anymore).

There is also the direction of making some type of new hardware device that handles all the GCA audio work and distributes the streams to the players.
Userlevel 3
Badge
If I had to guess, the biggest problem with Sonos supporting GCA is technical and has to do with the amount of RAM in the Sonos devices (or more specifically, the lack thereof). GCA requires the device to run effectively run a 'headless' web browser in which the 'server' component of the GCA streamer runs. They don't have much flash storage, either, to store the web client code and I doubt they'd want to try downloading that from the Internet every time you started up GCA as that would cause a noticeable delay when you first hit play.

No denying that GCA would be really awesome to have on Sonos devices, though.
Userlevel 2
Any news on this front? Since i miss the cast function everyday when i arrive home and wanna keep it streaming at home im thinking of changing systems instead. Any ideas ?
He had it for a month and kept complaining about how audio drops out all the time.

Native Google casting gives you both. Flexibility and pulling music direct from Internet vs via device.

I am sure that it isn't just Airplay - many other CC compatible makes have similar issues with up time. Once CC does the pointing trick, those devices have to then keep the music playing without drop outs and none does this better than Sonos and very few do it as well.

Sonos supporting CCA would certainly be a good thing to have, no doubt - I just think it doesn't make sense to switch because or till it doesn't.
Userlevel 3
Badge
Instead of sonos trying to catch up/fix things like bbc iplayer or audible etc
This would still be an issue. The device has to support the underlying streaming technologies used by services, such as Sonos implementing HLS for the new BBC streams. But now that the work is done, in theory any HLS-based service should now be supportable on Sonos.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Google casting from native apps means that sonos does not have to keep up with changes so much, as long as the native app keeps casting it will send music to sonos or a CCA. Instead of sonos trying to catch up/fix things like bbc iplayer or audible etc
Eutopia would be that you could group CCA and sonos together......
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I have a good friend and neighbor who wanted to add audio from his computer and phone to his crestron system. I told him to add a Sonos to it. His installer talked him in to AirPlay because he could use the Spotify app he had been using. He had it for a month and kept complaining about how audio drops out all the time.

One night I brought one of my connects down and swapped out the airport express.

Needless to say after using a week he went out and bought a connect. Not only has he not had any more dropouts but he said sound quality is amazingly better.

However. Native Google casting gives you both. Flexibility and pulling music direct from Internet vs via device.
Userlevel 3
Badge
I don't think GoogleCast for Audio has to imply a bad playback experience, however, since it is also based on the audio playback device streaming the music itself, just like Sonos already does. Its more of a control mechanism for telling the device(s) what next to stream. Now, if we were talking about that garbage called AirPlay, then yes, I agree the experience would be bad since that's a really poorly designed protocol that depends on the sending device (mobile/etc) to push audio at the playback device.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I agree
I understand that bit; I just happen to think that no icing however good it may be, can make up for defective cake - defective here defined by lower music play up time. Cakes have first to be equally good for icing to decide the choice.

I am sure no one sits gazing at or playing with the native app when no music is coming out of the speakers, it can't be that good.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Some people, not me, are in love with the native app for their service.
I find it hard to understand why people will choose to sacrifice the features needed for stable wireless music play - that Sonos does better than the named competition even today - to obtain what seem largely to be eye candy. And some convenience. I see it as a nice to have, but I can't see any sense in jumping ship because it isn't there.

What's the use of a better/slicker UI if the stability of the music coming out of the speakers is to be compromised?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sonos will not saying anything if they are planning to support . .. they will only say something when support has already been developed and being implemented.

Example: HEOS announced Google Cast support over a year ago .... to only a year later say they couldn't do it.

Sonos would never do that ... they always wait until its ready and happening.
But it's time for Sonos to make a statement. Sony, LG, ... are supporting Google Cast. Even more are supporting Spotify Connect. And I'm sitting here and am still waiting. Just a yes or a no, so that I know whether I can buy my next Sonos product or have to switch to a different product.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
For the record - Sonos has never mentioned adding Chromecast audio support. We have speculated that it will be the service for them to add that makes the most sense (and they do need to add some type of casting).

Take that as good or bad but Sonos has never made mention of it. Unlike those like Denon HEOS who announced they were adding ... to only go a year and then tell their buyers that they now were not doing it.

Exactly the kind of thing Sonos tries to avoid - making any false promises.

If or When Sonos does announce a casting ability ... it will happen! And would mean they have confirmed it will work and would be well in development before they would make any mention of it.
No news yet on Sonos supporting Chromecast audio?? Come on SONOS, what are you waiting for!!