Will Sonos support Google Cast for Audio?

Userlevel 2
Just read the announcement of the new Google Cast for Audio (http://chrome.blogspot.com/2015/01/introducing-google-cast-for-audio.html). I don't see Sonos listed as an early supporter, though. Any chance something is in the works?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

162 replies

Userlevel 2
Any news on this front? Since i miss the cast function everyday when i arrive home and wanna keep it streaming at home im thinking of changing systems instead. Any ideas ?
Userlevel 3
Badge
If I had to guess, the biggest problem with Sonos supporting GCA is technical and has to do with the amount of RAM in the Sonos devices (or more specifically, the lack thereof). GCA requires the device to run effectively run a 'headless' web browser in which the 'server' component of the GCA streamer runs. They don't have much flash storage, either, to store the web client code and I doubt they'd want to try downloading that from the Internet every time you started up GCA as that would cause a noticeable delay when you first hit play.

No denying that GCA would be really awesome to have on Sonos devices, though.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
it could possibly become the first time sonos distinguishes legacy hardware with new hardware. I would assume the newer hardware would have much more ram then older hardware. At some point sonos is going to have to make a break and actually move beyond original equipment for the sake of the product moving forward. Some people won't like it and I'm sure there would be complaint (heck look at all the complaints just from the hardware controllers not being able to run setup anymore).

There is also the direction of making some type of new hardware device that handles all the GCA audio work and distributes the streams to the players.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Of course many of us also have the input level GCA already. However it doesn't provide you the flexibility that native support would allow in playing multiple streams in a more unified manner.

There is also the direction of making some type of new hardware device that handles all the GCA audio work and distributes the streams to the players.

Which is exactly what they did with the Dock. I'll go out on a limb and predict they will come out with a new device with microphone array, and possibly Google Cast support, to integrate the upcoming voice control capability. I'll even predict it will sell for $99. Bold, huh? Lol.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Google cast support.......YES PLEASE....my $99 relies on it ;O)
Badge
+1 for full Google cast support, and some sort of device to take advantage of the Google assistant without buying all new speakers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Looks like vizio will, and 8hr portable speaker....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDvZjkU3wko
Well got a 3 really nice product good dlna, spotify and so on. But this is still going to be my last Sonos product.
Why the f=c.. does it not support Bluetooth just the freaking fun of it and most of all because customers would love it.
I seriously hate monopoly and patent products also the reason I don't own any Apple stuff.
So I am gonna sell the 3 and find a more open product.
Now that Sonos will support Airplay 2, it would be logical to support Chromecast Audio too?
Sonos already casts Google Music from the Google app to all Sonos units; what more are you looking to do with Chromecast Audio?
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Only with an android controller, want iphone to do it as well.
It would allow bbc iplayer radio to cast to sonos, the major radio stations and massive podcast/catchup library in the uk.