Will Sonos support Google Cast for Audio?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

162 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge
Please add this sonos, you are really falling behind
it will be interesting to see the true functionality of this. it looks like its just another alternative to airplay or bluetooth speakers where you can only cast to 1 device at a time and not have multiple speakers playing in sync. i guess we will see how the heos speakers handle it.
Badge
I really hope this happens as well, I bought a playbar and a play1 based around the addition of google music to the sonos system.  If this happens I will expand my system for sure, otherwise I might have to look at some alternatives, though the sound quality of the sonos will be hard to beat!
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Another sad day for sonos - supported by Denon Heos on day 1 but not Sonos ! Along with the absence of Spotify Connect support this is yet another example of Sonos falling behind. You can't hide in your walled garden forever Sonos - please take some action here.
Userlevel 1
The Sonos system already works somewhat as a destination for music casting from the Google Play Music app, though it doesn't seem to work from other apps.  It might be that Sonos already has what is needed for this new "Google Music Cast" and it's just a matter of the code used in the Google Music app being rolled out to the public for integration in other apps to cast music.  I hope it's that simple!

Also, my better half was also very tired of all the remotes and DIY solutions I have put her thru.  She really loves using the Sonos setup, and it's been a great update to our home.
Userlevel 2
It's already somewhat supported.  I can open Google Play Music on my android and hit the cast button to send it to my Sonos.

It would be dreamy if the same casting was available in the YouTube app, or PocketCast, or better yet, from a web browser on a PC on the same wifi network.  

How great would it be to have a little youtube video or netflix on you laptop and then cast that audio to a couple play speakers around you?!

Yeah, I was surprised _not_ to see Sonos listed in the announcement. I based my purchasing decision -- in part -- on the implied close relationship between Sonos and Google when they added the ability to "cast" music from the Google Play Music app directly, as well as via the Sonos app. Unfortunately, that doesn't look to have been expanded at all (yet).
Userlevel 1
I was just about to purchase my first Sonos until I saw the Google Cast announcement this morning. Now I'll wait to see what Sonos do. I have two Chromecasts, and would like the music to be the same experience to make it easy for my other half who is not too tech savvy. The less apps and options the better.
Userlevel 6
Badge +7
It's already somewhat supported.  I can open Google Play Music on my android and hit the cast button to send it to my Sonos.

It would be dreamy if the same casting was available in the YouTube app, or PocketCast, or better yet, from a web browser on a PC on the same wifi network.  

How great would it be to have a little youtube video or netflix on you laptop and then cast that audio to a couple play speakers around you?!

Yeah the cast button from the Android Google Play Music app is great. When this was introduced a few months ago, its what convinced me to purchase a Sonos. But I want to be able to cast from other music services as well and from Google Play web app on my laptop. The Sonos app just doesn't offer the rich experience you get from the apps provided by the music services.

If Sonos don't move forward in this area, I can see myself jumping ship to a full Google Cast compatible speaker when they hit the market.
Userlevel 1
Please please please allow my Sonos system to be a standard cast destination!  I use my Chromecast a lot for viewing video content on my TV from my phone and love the simplicity of hitting the cast button in apps to getting a better experience of media.  Sonos support would be excellent!
I would love to see this feature enabled as well. With how much time Sonos puts into their app this would bypass it and realistically it’s mostly all available via the app anyway. But it would defiantly simplify things and would like to have the option, especially with access to YouTube music just around the corner.
Userlevel 1

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Everyone trying to get into the casting party - airplay, google cast, Bluetooth, spotify connect ....

no wonder Sonos has trouble jumping on one bandwagon.  They need to come up with some kind of simple / expandable means to incorporate various casting protocols.