why so many updates

• 10 November 2022
  • 43 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

43 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Since doing the reserved/static IP settings I have not noticed Sonos updates, they happen overnight, invisibly.

I lean to the IP issues being Sonos’ fault but without access to the internals I ca’t prove anything. The wide variety of routers that seem to have issues with Sonos point in the same direction.

I never have the same demand for updates on my tv. Turn itv on and it works. Turn Sonos on and it always wants an update to work. The only way is to keep the Sonos on all the time day and night which is wasting costly electricity particularly if Sonos is only used mainly on weekends. Updates should be optional not compulsory. Such a shame as its a good sounding system

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Sonos might consider a dual-track update system, several things I use offer that.

Instant updates - As soon as they are ready you get them.

Scheduled updates - You get them once a month, if there were any.

Given the App Store issues that could well mean having to have two different Apps to work around the built-in auto update limitations.

My guess, based on the statement ‘sometimes unplug sonos or my router to reset’, the OP has some sort of network issue that needs to be resolved. In a normal update process (all of Sonos’ updates so far), there is no need to do anything with unplugging the Sonos devices, or rebooting the router. It does make me wonder about the quality of the router, though. 

Badge

‘In most instances this is probably due to a mismatch in versions’

that sounds like guessing to me, but updating is defo not optional.

Badge

Then prove it.

Then prove it.

I think you are mistaking me for someone who now gives a ****

A “poop”?

Badge

Then prove it.

I think you are mistaking me for someone who now gives a ****

A “poop”?

Something like that. 

Exactly like that

Came here to note two things on this year old but still popular thread:

1. I too find the app update process a pain. I used to leave auto update enabled. Each time the iOS app updated - seemingly once a month for "bug fixes and performance enhancements" but with no details about what those might be - I would suffer through another round of a four component Sonos system that was working just fine before the update but is unable to find the system after and required fights with a Wi-Fi system that no other components have issues with.

I now manually check for updates shortly *before* the phone app is due for its next monthly and, if the complaints have died down and my system is still working I *might* pull the trigger and update. Sadly this means I have to disable auto-update for all the rest of my phone apps too. Thanks, Sonos, for forcing this on me.
  1. Those who claim "but it just works": I invite you to look at the details of the app reviews, sorted by most recent. The vast majority I see are similar complaints - people who allowed or were pushed an update and their system stopped working. The favorable reviews seem to be mostly buyers who just got a new system and were able to set it up to enjoy; but who will likely join the ranks of disgruntled owners in after an update in their near future.

This doesn't seem like an app support strategy with long-term customer satisfaction as a goal to me. I know that I have decided to defer any future Sonos component acquisitions until the app update process improves. Meanwhile the rest of the tech in my house is putting Sonos to shame. Don’t rest on your laurels too long.

100% agree this is out of control, and i am fed up with forced useless updates.  S2 controller is unstable drops speakers, and is full of useless animations and cosmetic features that makes actual functions less functional, i have actually had it, i am looking to replace my sonos system, also the sound quality is straight up bad compared to competing brands.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

But Sonos updates are optional, they are never done unless a user requests one be done.

Do you possibly have your phone or tablet automatically requesting controller updates? If you do that then yes, the speakers will want to update to match what you have already done to the controller.

There is no need to keep your Sonos on, just let it go to low-power mode and set it to update automatically overnight, have your controller also update and you will never see an “update needed” message again.

I’m going to hazard a guess that you’re experiencing network issues of some type, but there just isn’t enough information in your post to be sure. 

What has Sonos Support said when you called in?

Badge

no network issues. S2 is just **

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

I don’t know. I run S2 across 20 plus speakers, and have zero issues. There must be something going on there. If it’s not a network issue, perhaps a hardware issue? In any case, what did Sonos support say when you called them?

Are you capable of expressing yourself without profanity? 

Sonos updates are not a big deal if you take control of them by choosing when and how often to update. It isn’t as if there is a big security issue you will be exposed to in the time you delay any update because of this controlled updating regime of even say once in six months. I am on S1 and don’t get many updates, but this is how I would deal with S2 updates because not all my Sonos units are on all the time.

That said, any issues after an update point to network issues that are best addressed ASAP because they may next turn up even without an update cycle.

Sonos updates are not a big deal if you take control of them by choosing when and how often to update. It isn’t as if there is a big security issue you will be exposed to in the time you delay any update because of this controlled updating regime of even say once in six months. I am on S1 and don’t get many updates, but this is how I would deal with S2 updates because not all my Sonos units are on all the time.

That said, any issues after an update point to network issues that are best addressed ASAP because they may next turn up even without an update cycle.

I know there isnt a big security issue, but there a features that are unavailable unless you update, and that is just poor design from the get go. I baught these speakers so that i could listen to music, not so that i would have to be bothered with POS software and anoying useless updates when i want to use them. Sonos is going in the bin, i just convinced myself.

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Do you want help, or is this just a rant?

there a features that are unavailable unless you update,…..  anoying useless updates 

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

Make up your mind, which of the two?! Surely you did not buy the system for features introduced only in subsequent updates?😀