Why are the updates so frequent and disruptive

• 24 November 2017
  • 41 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

41 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Because Sonos does not have a list of every feature offered by the current version of each piece of software to use as a checklist for any new version?

We used to have a LONG printout of every feature/screen of our software on 13" green bar paper that we looped over a flip-chart stand (yes I am old) and we would go down it line by line making sure each feature was either present and unchanged or there was a darned good reason it was gone or modified. The changes were then presented to our customer for approval before the first Alpha release.

I'm sure there is some fancy computerized way to do this today but if we had a problem with our printout it could be fixed in 30 seconds with a bit of Scotch tape.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Because some people will be upset you don't update but every 3 to 4 months and others will be upset if you update every month. Your going to have someone complain either way.
That is exactly what Sonos used to do ... then you would have 3 month long complaint threads asking why Sonos was so slow to add feature or make an improvement. You can’t win.
Of course you can win, by doing the right thing. If both approaches draw the same whining, isn't it the better approach to be disciplined? Besides, there is a lot of whining to which Sonos does not respond by either actions or words for much more than 3 months, so what's the problem in being disciplined?
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
The ability to be able to release tested software in small, frequent batches is pretty much essential these days. No one wants to wait up to three months for a bug fix. That said, it's important to have stability in the user experience, and not constantly move things around. Sonos have probably got things about right (regular bug fixes, quarterly major changes) with their release schedule.

I do wish they'd prioritise different issues (eg. UI/UX consistency across screens / platforms) though...
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
That is exactly what Sonos used to do ... then you would have 3 month long complaint threads asking why Sonos was so slow to add feature or make an improvement. You can’t win.
Organize your updates so they are made periodically, like every 3-4 months rather than as some developer gets a wild hair.
Excellent point. The present state of affairs points squarely to an inadequate process discipline.
I also agree that Sonos is just something as mundane as a home audio system; they are not launching spacecraft or performing mission critical tasks of important missions. Nor are these responses needed as for virus attacks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
turn off auto updates in sonos. There have been more updates recently because of additions people have been asking for.
Userlevel 3
Badge
F!@# me. Everytime I turn Sonos on I get the threat upgrade or lose functionality. I just want to listen to music and not have to do system admin.
Userlevel 7
Badge +16
... and don’t buy any new products if you are switching off the updates as it will force you to upgrade.

That was my downfall, adding an extra Play1 for upstairs forced me onto updating to 8..
... and don’t buy any new products if you are switching off the updates as it will force you to upgrade.
And warn everyone who may use the system not to choose to update their apps, and don't install any new devices or controllers.
Userlevel 1
Thank you all
Also, turn off auto update on your mobile devices app store(s).
Badge +20
Cool Breeze I assume I do that through Advanced Settings and turn off Auto Check for Updates?

Yes :D

Watch out for automatic uodates of the controller apps.
Userlevel 1
Cool Breeze I assume I do that through Advanced Settings and turn off Auto Check for Updates?
Badge +20
You can turn updates off, then just update when you are ready.