Answered

Volume limit feature

• 6 September 2012
  • 191 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

191 replies

It's to easy to set max volume by mistake. and we have the app in pc and in phones 2 times last week we have max volume in one zone it was an mistake but it's not fun to distroy 3 speakers. So plz fix so you can set an volume limit in every zone. Or if the speaker get damage you repair if by guarantee? I also needed to install sonos app two times because it have max volume from start when I downloaded the app android .so plz fix this or we change to another brand soon .
Many thanks, will look at both before buying. Need to do something before the neighbors of our holiday rental kill us!
@Ashley Bluesound also has it. This isn't an endorsement, I've never used the Denon or bluesound systems.
We are going to look at Denon Heos as we're not "techies" and just want a simple solution. Looks like the Sonos system will be sold on eBay!
Denon Heos has it on one product that I know of.

http://manuals.denon.com/HEOSAMP/ALL/EN/DRDZSYsaodkfte.php

Of course if @AshleyIBZ et al wanted to roll their own, LMS has a number of different volume limit, lock and security features. A few Raspi will get it done. Or you could try it with the speakers you own using the Sonos/upnp plugin.
Thanks Ryan but we, Sonos clients, are getting a little fed up with receiving the same standard reply you've been issuing for the last 3 years. I think we'll just have to look at alternatives to Sonos, we certainly won't be buying any further speakers and nor will we recommend Sonos to friends/family as we have done in the past. It's such a shame as its a great product but the company clearly is not interested in client feedback; this will be its downfall in the long run

Can you tell me the alternative to Sonos which has a volume limit feature? Can you tell me the one which has publicly announced a volume limit feature is coming soon?
Thanks Ryan but we, Sonos clients, are getting a little fed up with receiving the same standard reply you've been issuing for the last 3 years. I think we'll just have to look at alternatives to Sonos, we certainly won't be buying any further speakers and nor will we recommend Sonos to friends/family as we have done in the past. It's such a shame as its a great product but the company clearly is not interested in client feedback; this will be its downfall in the long run
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks for the requests, I'll be sure to pass the word on to the team for you. We don't share what's coming up usually, so not news on if this feature is on the list to be worked on at the moment, but we'll let you know if there's any news that can be shared later on.
Please Sonos develop a PIN protected limit feature. I run a holiday let business and have Sonos in my lets. My guests love it but my neighbours are not so happy when my guests get carried away with the volume! So many people are asking for this feature please do something
Hi Sonos, I think this is one of the most urgent requests coming from clients. Unless your software development process is a mess (which I do not expect), this must be an easy thing to do. Let's do this and make clients happy!
Userlevel 2
Badge
Actually, the latest is independent of Sonospy. It's not perfect, but I'm not an engineer either. 🙂 That said, Sonospy is awesome and you should use it anyway.

-Chow
@cherrysonos the volume limit script author has a newer python script , should work in windows. See his newer thread here https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/volume-limits-per-zone-6736790

FYI As per the script author it requires a machine also running Sonospy, also windows friendly. But you could run it in a pi.
And you wonder why nobody responds? :rolleyes
We have a full team here dedicated to reading every post made on the community and responding as well. We make sure to share ideas within the company, passing on suggestions and requests in a number of ways. That said, as a company we don't share a roadmap or discuss future development, so for some requests we can only say so much.

The only way to adjust the volume on players for most users is through our app, or using the physical buttons on the players. Most businesses I've seen Sonos used in have them mounted way too high for anyone to touch the buttons, and apps can only connect if they're on your wireless network, which you'll usually want to have private as well. The only people you should really have to worry about would be any employees that you've trusted with the wifi credentials.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone, and we love seeing posts like chowanec's above, a solution of sorts which people can use if they feel confident enough. We'll be sure to let everyone know if there's any news on this feature in the future.

Wow! A response! Albeit a "thank you for your thoughts" reply. Those of us interested in this simple feature add are not interested in where "most businesses mount" their Sonos speakers. Also kind of crazy that a high sought after feature can be utilized on Lenux only... come on... Just make the feature already, please.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
101 requests. No reply. I don't think Sonos monitors their forums. Or they are too busy counting money or too busy trying to figure out how to pay the bills. Something is wrong with a company that does not respond to customers requests. This feature (lack thereof) is the only reason I haven't purchased additional speakers for my business. It's not like these are $5 speakers you get at the checkout aisle. Come on Sonos! Get with the times. React to your customers, please.

We have a full team here dedicated to reading every post made on the community and responding as well. We make sure to share ideas within the company, passing on suggestions and requests in a number of ways. That said, as a company we don't share a roadmap or discuss future development, so for some requests we can only say so much.

The only way to adjust the volume on players for most users is through our app, or using the physical buttons on the players. Most businesses I've seen Sonos used in have them mounted way too high for anyone to touch the buttons, and apps can only connect if they're on your wireless network, which you'll usually want to have private as well. The only people you should really have to worry about would be any employees that you've trusted with the wifi credentials.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone, and we love seeing posts like chowanec's above, a solution of sorts which people can use if they feel confident enough. We'll be sure to let everyone know if there's any news on this feature in the future.
101 requests. No reply. I don't think Sonos monitors their forums. Or they are too busy counting money or too busy trying to figure out how to pay the bills. Something is wrong with a company that does not respond to customers requests. This feature (lack thereof) is the only reason I haven't purchased additional speakers for my business. It's not like these are $5 speakers you get at the checkout aisle. Come on Sonos! Get with the times. React to your customers, please.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I got frustrated by this too.

By no means am I an engineer, but I wrote a BASH script for linux that works with Sonospy that takes care of this issue for me in software. I tried a number of hardware solutions and it just got either too expensive, or they didn't work right.

It requires that you are running Sonospy

I've only tested it at my house, and it works for me:
1) Checks volume levels of listed zones once per second.
2) If current volume > max volume, it resets the volume to the max amount you set.
3) It understands that after a certain time, it steps the volume down to a set amount.
4) It understands that after midnight, it sets the volume to 0 (in the event we accidentally leave the outdoor speakers on).

I also wrote a poor-man's daemon for it too.

You SHOULD be able to:
1) Get Sonospy up and running (which I recommend anyway since the feature set of it is awesome to begin with).
2) Go to sonospy/sonospy/gui
3) Edit volume.sh
4) Configure it for your needs in the top section of the file.
5) run `./volumed.sh start`

I offer no real support for this since I wrote it for myself and my own specific needs, but maybe it'll help someone out there.

Again, this only works on linux for the time being.
I'd also like to support this rather long standing feature request.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Sonos units will not blow if played at full volume, they are designed to protect themselves, the maximum available volume on a play unit is the maximum safe volume for that unit.

If it's that much of a deal breaker for you though then perhaps you should go for a competitor that offers this feature?

Maybe for the Sonos Speakers. But I can certainly turn my connect:amp up loud enough to where it's doing damage to the speakers.

Why is you pairing inappropriate speakers to am amp -or vice versa - anyone else's concern?
Userlevel 2
I'd also like to support this rather long standing feature request.
Sonos units will not blow if played at full volume, they are designed to protect themselves, the maximum available volume on a play unit is the maximum safe volume for that unit.

If it's that much of a deal breaker for you though then perhaps you should go for a competitor that offers this feature?

Maybe for the Sonos Speakers. But I can certainly turn my connect:amp up loud enough to where it's doing damage to the speakers.
My Girl ( 5j) just love's the Play1 in here room... but i do want to "protect" her ears for the future!
ok, i can adjust the volume remotely but a "fixed" software update maximizing the volume for a unit would't be such a mayer software issue i guess???

let say .. max volume on 60% or so ?
Has it been made yet??
Clients ask for it, it's not complicated to do on the software... Why hasn´t been made yet?

I just don´t understand it.
Please give us this feature, my son is driving me crazy.
Today my 1 year old daughter pressed the volume up on the TV remote and 2 seconds later started to cry because of the extreme loud volume from my playbar and SUB. I really want's you to implement this feature. It can't be that hard and it could save someone's ear in the future...