Answered

Volume limit feature

• 6 September 2012
  • 191 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

191 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +4
this would be a wonderful feature!
We have a play5 pair which would be incredibly loud if it were ever set over 50%. I'm likewise not sure about setting up alexa integration without the ability to set a room max...
Badge
I was looking forward Alexa Integration and have been quite impressed with 4-Oct announcements. Now Sonos is back on track, and might become the best deal in term of integration in the long run.
But....
After testing today Alexa-Sonos integration, i automatically searched for this volume control feature which is as of today unavailable. Having kids between 3-5 years old, Alexa integration become a very dangerous feature. How hard is it for them to say "Alexa, set the volume to 10 in the living room. I have 1 playbar, 1 woofer and 2 play 1 in the living room, imagine the consequences? I have disabled Alexa integration for now.
The simple solution I would wish. In the setup, set max x% per group (ex: 30% in living room). No change in any application (iphone/ipad app, windows, alexa), but when user setup volume to 50%, it actually set the actual volume to 15% (50% x 30%). This will make it easy for everyone, and make the volume adjustment more precise.
When can we have this sonos? Do not make techy parents look inconscient

Hi giyad,

We don't always jump in on feature request threads as we can't say much about possible future products or features, but we do read all of the threads. We'll send along feature requests for volume limits and password protection for playlists and services.

Thanks! For now I'll be switching to Denon since they have volume control. I'll keep following here, when you implement it please announce it here.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Just get 1 hushbox and it will fix the volume control problem for all your sonos speakers. By the way, i am not affiliated with them in any way and also got trolled in the past when i posted this solution. I just had the same issue in the past and that was the most cost effective way to fix the volume control problem for my kids.

Thanks, I created a ticket with Sonos since they don't seem to monitor these forums. If they answer with anything useful I'll let you know here. Regarding the hushbox, I may buy it, but since my speaker blew I'm actually looking to replace the Sonos (if they won't be adding this feature I want to find it somewhere else). Plus the hushbox costs almost as much as the speaker itself, which is absurd, it should be a simple feature that doesn't cost us anything but I'd gladly pay. And I don't want a separate device to do this, one more thing to go wrong. Honestly, Sonos Engineers, what do we have to do to get this feature built in?

Sonos do monitor these forums

They won't be commenting beyond acknowledgment of the suggestion (It's not new). Nor will you get anything different via ticket.

For what it's worth jgatie is correct that playing your speaker at full volume, besides annoying your neighbours, is most unlikely to cause the speaker to "blow".
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Just get 1 hushbox and it will fix the volume control problem for all your sonos speakers. By the way, i am not affiliated with them in any way and also got trolled in the past when i posted this solution. I just had the same issue in the past and that was the most cost effective way to fix the volume control problem for my kids.

Thanks, I created a ticket with Sonos since they don't seem to monitor these forums. If they answer with anything useful I'll let you know here. Regarding the hushbox, I may buy it, but since my speaker blew I'm actually looking to replace the Sonos (if they won't be adding this feature I want to find it somewhere else). Plus the hushbox costs almost as much as the speaker itself, which is absurd, it should be a simple feature that doesn't cost us anything but I'd gladly pay. And I don't want a separate device to do this, one more thing to go wrong. Honestly, Sonos Engineers, what do we have to do to get this feature built in?

Hi giyad,

We don't always jump in on feature request threads as we can't say much about possible future products or features, but we do read all of the threads. We'll send along feature requests for volume limits and password protection for playlists and services.
[
Good work inspector, I don't really care what you think... I have a blown speaker due to someone blasting the volume. Maybe its the only time its ever happened, but it did. And don't you have anything better to do than troll around peoples feature requests?

You made it seem as if a Sonos speaker can easily be blown by a loud volume setting, I simply provided context with information supplied by Sonos itself. I said nothing about the feature request, though if I did I would cast my vote in favor of a limit in the Room Settings menu.

Userlevel 1
Sonos has repeatedly stated that it is highly improbable, if not impossible, to "blow" a Play:1 (or any other Play unit) due to high volume level. To do so requires other faults in the device. So I suspect you had a faulty unit, or you are putting one over for hyperbole's sake,

Good work inspector, I don't really care what you think... I have a blown speaker due to someone blasting the volume. Maybe its the only time its ever happened, but it did. And don't you have anything better to do than troll around peoples feature requests?
Sonos has repeatedly stated that it is highly improbable, if not impossible, to "blow" a Play:1 (or any other Play unit) due to high volume level. To do so requires other faults in the device. So I suspect you had a faulty unit, or you are putting one over for hyperbole's sake,
My Sonos Play 1 blew because the volume was too high, why can't you just have a volume control limit. I don't even want it to prevent this, I want it because my employees put the volume too high and our neighbors complain. I can discipline employees, but why even give them the ability to do this! Just give us the ability to limit, please!
That's not bad. I was hoping you would still have full range with the slider for more precise control. I'll just hold out hoping Sonos adds this. Thanks for the info!
Userlevel 1
The slider in the sonos app will automatically go back to what % you set it as once kids try going to a higher volume. Any additional volume to the right will automatically be back to the left at whatever % you set it at so kids will never be able to go past your set level. 😉. Its also paword protected so only admin will have access to volume level setup.
That's more reasonable. Out of curiosity, how do the limits effect the volume control in the Sonos app? Do you still have the full range on the slider? Or if I set the limit to 50, will the volume be maxed when the slider is at 50% and any additional movement to the right does nothing?
Userlevel 1
I understand your frustration as I was recently in your shoes. FYI, one box at $150 controls all the zone so you would only need one. But I agree, sonos should provide this feature for free.
I can't justify spending $150 per zone on an issue that should be a simple software fix. I'm glad someone is offering an option though. I just wish Sonos would implement this, I can't believe it's been 4 years and they still haven't added it.
Userlevel 1
Hushlabs.ca fixes this ongoing sonos issue. You should check them out. My kids now all have a volume limit in each of their rooms or zones. No more blasting the music. 🆒
Bump for this, I've been using Sonos for a few years and this would be a critical addition. Not only would it make adjusting the volume and balancing zones easier, but it would also help prevent kids or people new to Sonos from blasting sound in a room accidentally.
Also looking for this feature. Would personally even be fine without the PIN lock, just a simple slider in the settings for an individual speaker where I can set the maximum level for that speaker alone. Assuming I set the maximum level to 50%, I would want the volume slider and buttons to simply be scaled down by 1/2.

iOS has had such a simple slider (http://www.howtogeek.com/224491/how-to-volume-limit-your-iphone-ipod-and-other-apple-devices-and-save-your-kids-hearing/) since the beginning, it's super intuitive and should be easy for Sonos to add to the system.
Userlevel 1
I just purchased the HushBox to add to my sonos speakers and it worked great! I can now volume limit each room. http://hushlabs.ca/
Well guys, I took the plunge - I wasn't sure if this was a real system, but hushlabs really works. I have been asking for this feature from SONOS for years - no response... But Jordan at hush labs have built a really great little box that plugs n, and you can set percentage limits to each zone. Works like a dream (I've had it for only 1 hour, but tested it and am so very grateful for this. Thank you Jordan for building this solution!)

Thanks for the feedback. So do the percentages limit the Sonos from going above that threshold or does it quickly bring it back down to the limits that are setup? Went to the site to try and learn more about the product and it unfortunately did not have much info to help me rationalize another purchase.

Are you able to break up the volume limit percentages on different devices or is it standard across all devices with a single limit?

Just for comparison I had a quick look at the McIntosh RS100 Play-Fi speaker which costs $1,000.00 and it didn't mention any ability to limit volume either. Is there a certain quality and price point where you have seen this feature commonly offered by other competitors?

I understand what you are saying Mike, my point is that any product that a company is selling as network ready product with a Smart Phone/Tablet Application control interface should have a built in Admin setting to limit volume maximums should to:
a) prevent damage to their audio investment; and,
b) to protect those who use it from turning it up too loud past a point to cause a disturbance to neighbors, household members, etc.

I have a friend who has audio wired in his rental property and has the a/v equipment in a locked room so renters/guests can't get into it. He originally didn't have the volume limited in this place and when he came in after a group of renters he found out they turned it up too loud and blew the speakers. While I understand damages can eventually be fixed (if you can pinpoint which renter/guest may have damaged it), having the volume limited in the first place would have prevented the speakers from blowing. He now has this feature installed on his system so that doesn't occur again. Sonos is trying to offer a product that doesn't need wires to run through the house (just power).

Looking at the Sonos App interface, i don't see why it would be that hard for Sonos to ensure certain features on devices can be locked down by an optionally enabled Admin setting (with separate password) to limit features for various users of those devices. Think of it like Nest Thermostats, users can still perform functional features allowed, but to go beyond those limits they need a pin/password to enable it again.

I want guests to be able to use and enjoy the system, not to potentially annoy nearby neighbors, or abuse/destroy it.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Well guys, I took the plunge - I wasn't sure if this was a real system, but hushlabs really works. I have been asking for this feature from SONOS for years - no response... But Jordan at hush labs have built a really great little box that plugs n, and you can set percentage limits to each zone. Works like a dream (I've had it for only 1 hour, but tested it and am so very grateful for this. Thank you Jordan for building this solution!)

Has anyone tried this device from hush labs? How quickly does it reduce the sound once it's been increase?

My company made a very simple black box to do exactly this. Plug it into your network, it monitors all of your Sonos devices and will make sure each Sonos device does not exceed the user's preset maximum volume level. Super simple to setup via web interface. Checkout http://hushlabs.ca.
I just purchased a http://hushlabs.ca/ Hush Lab volume control limit device for my sonos speakers and will keep you guys posted on how it worked out...

Certainly look forward to how it works out...however, I stand by my, and others, comments that one should not have to purchase a 3rd party device for something like this to be a standard feature for Sonos users. This feature should be trivial at best.

Cheers!
Userlevel 1
I just purchased a http://hushlabs.ca/ Hush Lab volume control limit device for my sonos speakers and will keep you guys posted on how it worked out...