Answered

Volume limit feature

• 6 September 2012
  • 191 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

191 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Under consideration for WAY too long. SONOS, really...why bother with this forum?
Userlevel 3
Think this feature has been under consideration for too long!? Vote for this: https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/implement_customers_good_ideas_more_quickly
Absolutely agree, volume limit and range keys would be very nice!
Absolutely 100% agree. I asked about this feature 2-3 years ago, but has unfortunately never materialised. My biggest concern was with an outdoor speaker & zp120 setup - I pictured my other half trying to put music on in the lounge, thinking it's a bit quiet and sticking it on full blast - only then realising it's out in the garden. Seemed like a backwards step to run it through an amp to achieve a volume cap, but neighbour relationships are important!
Badge
I support this request. Also, it'd be nice to set different maximum levels at certain times of the day. I.e I'd like to protect my neighbours from my teenager's urge to play loud music at late hours.
I support this request as we also had a some VERY LOUD moments - bad for the ears and the hart. At that moment I wish I bought a regular hifi system with a volume knob instead of a sonos system. But a simple option in the settings menu would already make a big difference.
I would like this feature so I can limit the volume on my son's Play3 and restrict the hours he can use it - i.e. not playing at volume 10 while he's supposedly doing his homework. Simple parental control would be incredibly useful.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I would also like to see a volume limit on fixed output with zp90's, there are times when it goes into a surround receiver or multizone receiver and the amp doesn't like the "hot" output and will clip at any volume level set at receiver. It would also help in multi source systems to be able to more closely match the other inputs. Should be easy considering there is already volume attenuation capability of hardware, instead of making it go to 100% when you hit fixed output, let it stay at current level.
I also think may be a good solution to my request for some compression feature. This solution hopefully could allow a user to turn the volume up for very quiet passages so they didn't vanish, but set a lower maximum so that loud passages weren't overwhelming.....?
Userlevel 2
The setting of a useful 0-100% range is key here. It'd make volume adjustment in my bedroom three times easier.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
"On some of my devices the useful range for volume is within the lowest 10-15%. This has a number of unpleasant consequences: * it's easy to mistakenly set the volume too high, * it's very difficult to slightly lower the volume by tapping to the left side of the knob, as the left side is so tiny, * it's difficult to move the knob precisely, because the range is so small. I'd suggest an option in the device settings (for each device): set a maximum volume. This would serve two purposes: a) limit the actual volume so that we never get blasted with super-loud music and b) set a useful 0-100% range for volume sliders." +1 this would also solve the problem of how to avoid blowing up low wattage speakers with a ZP120!
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
On some of my devices the useful range for volume is within the lowest 10-15%. This has a number of unpleasant consequences: * it's easy to mistakenly set the volume too high, * it's very difficult to slightly lower the volume by tapping to the left side of the knob, as the left side is so tiny, * it's difficult to move the knob precisely, because the range is so small. I'd suggest an option in the device settings (for each device): set a maximum volume. This would serve two purposes: a) limit the actual volume so that we never get blasted with super-loud music and b) set a useful 0-100% range for volume sliders.
Userlevel 2
I agree, the Play:5 has great sound, but anything above 35% volume is just painful in my bedroom. Makes it a bit twiddly to set the volume and the potential for disaster is just too big without a limit.
Userlevel 5
Badge
I agree, some kind of protected mode would be nice. Many are asking for this in different ways.. Perhaps adding support for user login with different permissions? Mom and Dad can use whole system, children can only play music in their rooms, party guests can add songs but not change volume or current song.. and so on.. a user login feature would open up for many features.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Great idea. I would add to that: instead of only setting a limit, I would also suggest being able to set a fixed, unmovable volume as well.