The New Sonos App and Future Feature Updates

Show first post

1553 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

I’m paying for a Sonos Radio subscription but the app has me stuck in a reauthorize loop. When will you fix that? Will I get a refund for the service I’m paying for that I can’t use?

Just switch to Deezer. It's what Sonos Radio uses in the background anyway. The Deezer app works fine. You can even create and edit playlists there.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Keith from Sonos - I just don’t know how you can speak of the new app like nothing happened.  Available Now - NO MUSIC!!!!   That’s what’s going on. When the hell are you going to fix that????  I sit in the Living Room and want to hear some music, but I can’t play anything.  I don’t know how my Beam Soundbar and two Play Ones are still working off my TV.  I guess you haven’t figured out a way to break that yet. 

What makes you think Keith has any say in the decisions made, or is in charge of fixing (or breaking) anything? In our zeal to dump on Sonos the company, let’s not lose our humanity by abusing actual people.  Especially those who by the very nature of their jobs have to tow the company line and always deal with you in a professional manner.  Let’s give them the same courtesy, huh?

?????

Judging by the response from Sonos I don’t actually think anyone there is reading these comments 🙁

Judging by the response from Sonos I don’t actually think anyone there is reading these comments 🙁

Since this is a user’s forum, Sonos rarely participates.  However, this is a thread started by Sonos and the official response is in the very first page of this thread.

That response is exactly what I’m talking about 🫣

What were you expecting?  An apology?  Not coming, the lawyers will see to that.  A rollback to the old app?  No way that’s happening, they released the new one to support the headphones, and bet the farm that they could weather the storm of the buggy and incomplete app in order to get the income from the new hardware in this fiscal year.  If they rollback to the old app that doesn’t support headphones, they lose in the PR department and they lose the headphone sales.  So that release schedule is all you are getting.  As an aside, they seem to be meeting the schedule, so you can use that to decide whether you want to wait for the fixes, or dump Sonos and go somewhere else.  

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I’m paying for a Sonos Radio subscription but the app has me stuck in a reauthorize loop. When will you fix that? Will I get a refund for the service I’m paying for that I can’t use?

Just switch to Deezer. It's what Sonos Radio uses in the background anyway. The Deezer app works fine. You can even create and edit playlists there.

Deezer might work fine for you, but that's not a universal experience. Haven't been able to get Deezer to load and I've tried everything, including downgrading from a Family subscription in case Sonos was having trouble with multiple accounts.

Have a ticket open with Sonos, but now I'm supposed to call back so they can access my system. Except, I have to do it when (a) their support lines are open (I work, and they run on Eastern time) and (b) I have the time to wait on hold.

So, in the interim, I'm limited to using Deezer in the car and at work (after buying desktop speakers and ditching my Sonos - but I've got too many at home to just start over). That said, Sonos inspired me to pick up a pair of Focals for the plane, which I can also use around the house, although I've been finding it's easier to steam Deezer over my Pixel phone at breakfast, etc.

This has been a heads-up for me on the risk of going all-in on a product that is wholly-dependent on the seller for ongoing support.

* Edited to (a) add a pic and (b) my gym as another place where I'm streaming Flac files to my Pixel.

FUTURE FEATURE UPDATES

WHAT'S MISSING FROM THE S2 UPDATE

​​​Here are some features which would add real value to the new S2 (available in other systems) 

1  Move, copy or swap Queue from one player to another player

2.  Enhanced metadata including artwork (track change) for Now Playing

3.  Artist & Music info (including lyrics)

4.  any more? 

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Keith from Sonos - I just don’t know how you can speak of the new app like nothing happened.  Available Now - NO MUSIC!!!!   That’s what’s going on. When the hell are you going to fix that????  I sit in the Living Room and want to hear some music, but I can’t play anything.  I don’t know how my Beam Soundbar and two Play Ones are still working off my TV.  I guess you haven’t figured out a way to break that yet. 

What makes you think Keith has any say in the decisions made, or is in charge of fixing (or breaking) anything? In our zeal to dump on Sonos the company, let’s not lose our humanity by abusing actual people.  Especially those who by the very nature of their jobs have to tow the company line and always deal with you in a professional manner.  Let’s give them the same courtesy, huh?

Okay there is no sense in checking in with this group and hear all this complaining. It just wants me to take a Xanax.
I’ve been getting emails from this group that someone has a reply to my last response and that is what brings me back. My big question is how will I know when I can listen to my music again?  I can’t get into the app, which would normally tell me there’s an update pending (and actually I don’t want to keep going into the app and be reminded of all my speakers sitting quietly collecting dust). So how will I know when to try it again?  
What is really strange is that last evening during the Rangers game I kept hearing Rap music and kept thinking it was my neighbors next door but upon making a trip into the Kitchen to let my dog out I realized it was coming from my Kitchen Play One. It’s a good thing Alexa was still on line and stopped playing when I commanded her. So what’s that all about. I would never listen to Rap.  

Missing from the upcoming updates timetable was/is the stealthy insertion of a Headphone option which insinuated itself a couple of days ago.  SUPER useful & will be well received by users, I'm certain.

Queue management? Nah

Music Libraries? Nah

Headphones (sonos only)? Yeah! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Okay, people! Sonos app update 80.01.30 now available in the iOS App Store…

Let’s take a look!! 😳

Let’s take a look!! 😳

Do report back, please! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Let’s take a look!! 😳

Do report back, please! 

Not a great deal of change for my setup (not a particularly significant update...), although it might allow some people’s hardware to get back online for those struggling to connect:

“Bug fixes and improved performance. 

Fixed issues encountered when adding a product that is running older software.

Fixed an issue where VoiceOver could not toggle switches in settings.”

EDIT: The app feels faster to load thumbnails? My imagination or real?

Userlevel 1
Badge

I'm done with Sonos. I have spent thousands of dollars on your products and the new app has done it. Once my speakers and soundbars are obsolete I'm moving on. This is a cockup of the highest order and it is telling of how Sonos views its customers. We just healed from the S1/S2 debacle and now we have to deal with this. I'm done. 

Let’s take a look!! 😳

Do report back, please! 

Not a great deal of change for my setup (not a particularly significant update...), although it might allow some people’s hardware to get back online for those struggling to connect:

Thanks for the info. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Let’s take a look!! 😳

Can someone please supply the link to this app. I went to the Apple App store and there are a number of apps and be careful, since one of them is not a Sonos app. Read carefully; it says Sono.  Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Let’s take a look!! 😳

Can someone please supply the link to this app. I went to the Apple App store and there are a number of apps and be careful, since one of them is not a Sonos app. Read carefully; it says Sono.  Thanks

The official one will say ‘Sonos, the official Sonos app’, and will have “Update” next to it.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

What were you expecting?  An apology?  Not coming, the lawyers will see to that.  A rollback to the old app?  No way that’s happening, they released the new one to support the headphones, and bet the farm that they could weather the storm of the buggy and incomplete app in order to get the income from the new hardware in this fiscal year.  If they rollback to the old app that doesn’t support headphones, they lose in the PR department and they lose the headphone sales.  So that release schedule is all you are getting.  As an aside, they seem to be meeting the schedule, so you can use that to decide whether you want to wait for the fixes, or dump Sonos and go somewhere else.  

Yes, it would appear they F’ed this up from the very start. Just a little better planning and they could have rolled out their new headphones to an applause from the entire Sonos customer base, but instead they opted to rush this crap out figuring they screwed the user base over before and the bulk of people didn’t leave. This may be a good short term strategy but in the long term, not so good. Now, no one know when they’ll wake up and their sound system won’t work. People integrating sound systems that need to handle clients, people planning large events that depend largely on music won’t have trust. 

A take it or leave business approach is not a good one, but do go on.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Let’s take a look!! 😳

The official one will say ‘Sonos, the official Sonos app’, and will have “Update” next to it.

Sorry to say, I went to this app, selected update and have been playing around with it. I can’t get it to do anything. At least yesterday, I was able to enter the path to my NAS drive but now I can’t even find that option.  It was a pull down menu in the top left of IOS version. But nothing is still working. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

There's been an Android update this afternoon.  Still no sleep timer, still no NAS access, Spotify playlists don't show all the playlists set up, radio services (TuneIn/myRadio) still don't work.

Sigh.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Let’s take a look!! 😳

Do report back, please! 

Thank you for the update info. I’m at work and will try the update when home with the system. Fingers crossed that the update has ‘updates’ and not cause more issues. So much money in my SONOS system. I want to see them repair all the issues and bring back all the features I came to love and used all the time. I’ll give them time, because of my investment, but if it takes too long, Ebay will have more SONOS gear to sell. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Your “update” is an unmitigated disaster. I can’t even connect to my music library. No playlists. No adding to cues. I have been using Sonos  for more than a decade. Now it does NOTHING that I bought the system for. The app does NOT work. What is the point of having any Sonos hardware?

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Your “update” is an unmitigated disaster. I can’t even connect to my music library. No playlists. No adding to cues. I have been using Sonos  for more than a decade. Now it does NOTHING that I bought the system for. The app does NOT work. What is the point of having any Sonos hardware?

Yes, I’m having the same issues. There is no place to add my music library path which is on a WD NAS drive. I was able to get into this menu a couple of days ago, except after entering the path , the next screen would ask for a username & password. There is neither on the NAS drive. I can access the  music directory from three PCs, three iPads and my phone. So I’ll keep waiting for another update. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

“...faster access to music.”   There isn't even a navigation bar.

I have been without my music now for weeks!

LiveOne stations do not play, tried all kinds of reinstalling, reauthorizing, reconnecting wifi, etc.

Android app, can access LiveOne, can see stations, but get error message when try to play.

Others on Sonos community have same problem.

Please fix!