Skip to main content

We set out to create a more personalized and effortless listening experience with the updated Sonos app. It was rebuilt from the ground up to ensure it could support future innovation in the years to come. For its initial rollout, we focused on how we could answer some of the most common requests from our customers, including increased reliability, performance, and faster access to music.

Many of you have shared valuable feedback on both the improvements that have made your experience better, as well as the areas where we fell short. We are listening to all of your comments and working to address them as quickly as possible. Over the coming weeks, we will reintroduce the below features, while fixing bugs and performance issues. Thank you for your engagement and we look forward to building upon this first step to create a listening experience that meets everyone’s needs.

Available now

To access these changes, check for updates in the iOS / Android app store to download the latest version of the Sonos app. Make sure your Sonos products are also up to date.

Last updated: Sept 24, 2024. See release notes.

Last week we released a new version of the Sonos app for iOS.

As announced, today we are releasing a new version for Android as well.

iOS - (Released on September 19)
Version 80.09.05

• Improvements to setup flow
  • Improved performance when browsing content in Home and in Browse
  • Improved queue management including ability to delete, reorder and scroll
  • Added ability to set appearance between light mode/dark mode/system default
  • Continued improvements to the user interface
  • Added Trueplay support for iOS 18

iOS Service Pack - (Available starting today)
Version 80.09.07

• Resolved a bug affecting users with multiple language keyboards configured
  • Resolved a bug preventing users with VoiceOver enabled from accepting the terms and conditions during setup

Android - (Available starting today

Version 80.09.04

• Improvements to setup flow
  • Added ability to set appearance between light mode/dark mode/system default
  • Added setting to change the Alexa wake word language

You can also follow along with updates in this article: 

SonoPhone

Looks like it’s iOS only. Not Andriod :(

Android ApK is available here https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/sonos-inc/

I’m a local music library user. Not only is that gone, but the app only detects my system half of the time. I have thousands of dollars of speakers that don’t work. 

The lies this CEO keeps telling himself and others needs to stop.

The app is more responsive? No, it’s less responsive. 

The app is easier to navigate? No, it’s not.

The app works? Half of the time it can’t even detect my system.

This is a joke.

What method have you used to add your library to the system? Apparently some old methods are no longer supported, but smbv2 and smbv3 shares are (it works for me).

My library was there after upgrade and worked. Then it just disappeared out of the sources section. Again, that's even if I can see the system. The software is criminally bad.

My library was there after upgrade and worked. Then it just disappeared out of the sources section. Again, that's even if I can see the system. The software is criminally bad.

I feel your pain, hang in there. One observation and one idea for you …

Observation: a few days after the new app dropped, firmware v16.2 arrived and was likely auto-installed on your system. The firmware update MIGHT have triggered your local library disappearance.

Idea: install the Windows/Mac desktop app, both are still on the old codebase and are definitely compatible with the v16.2 firmware. Much easier to ‘debug’ your local library from the stability of the desktop app … and if you can get it working on the desktop client it stands a good chance of working on the new app.

Sorry about your local library music, this whole update is fubar.

SonoPhone

I thought Android could reload s2?

Not that I am aware but if anyone know different and can tell me how to do it, I’d be very pleased.

SonoPhone

Not that I am aware but if anyone know different and can tell me how to do it, I’d be very pleased.

Yes, you can delete the Sonos app on Android and then sideload the previous Sonos 16.1 app APK from a ‘reputable’ APK website. There are numerous APK links across various threads.

We set out to create a more personalized and effortless listening experience with the updated Sonos app. It was rebuilt from the ground up to ensure it could support future innovation in the years to come. For its initial rollout, we focused on how we could answer some of the most common requests from our customers, including increased reliability, performance, and faster access to music.

Many of you have shared valuable feedback on both the improvements that have made your experience better, as well as the areas where we fell short. We are listening to all of your comments and working to address them as quickly as possible. Over the coming weeks, we will reintroduce the below features, while fixing bugs and performance issues. Thank you for your engagement and we look forward to building upon this first step to create a listening experience that meets everyone’s needs.

Available now

To access these changes, check for updates in the iOS / Android app store to download the latest version of the Sonos app. Make sure your Sonos products are also up to date.

Last updated: May 21, 2024. See release notes.

• VoiceOver on iOS now properly interacts with individual elements of the Sonos app's home screen - and now adds improved VoiceOver support for allowing for navigating and controlling the Now Playing Screen, System View, Output Selector, Queue, Volume Sliders, and Add Product
  • Improved TalkBack support for the Now Playing Screen, System View, and Add Product
  • Improved Local Music Library playback of folders
  • Adding and editing alarms with the ability to Search for content

Coming soon

• Continued improvements to navigation for visually-impaired customers: mid-June
  • Adding to queue and playing next: early June
  • Sleep timer: mid-June
  • Local music library search and playback: mid-June
  • Update WiFi settings: mid-June
  • Snooze alarms: TBD

Known issues and workarounds

"Sign in as the System Owner" error while updating products during setup

• Workaround: No workaround currently available.

Our latest update resolves some of the most critical known issues, but know we have more to do. We hear your feedback and are working hard to deliver the experience you expect and deserve.

Keith from Sonos - I just don’t know how you can speak of the new app like nothing happened. Now Available - NO MUSIC!!!!   That’s what’s going on. When the hell are you going to fix that????

Available now

To access these changes, check for updates in the iOS / Android app store to download the latest version of the Sonos app. Make sure your Sonos products are also up to date.

Last updated: May 21, 2024. See release notes.

• VoiceOver on iOS now properly interacts with individual elements of the Sonos app's home screen - and now adds improved VoiceOver support for allowing for navigating and controlling the Now Playing Screen, System View, Output Selector, Queue, Volume Sliders, and Add Product
  • Improved TalkBack support for the Now Playing Screen, System View, and Add Product
  • Improved Local Music Library playback of folders
  • Adding and editing alarms with the ability to Search for content

Coming soon

• Continued improvements to navigation for visually-impaired customers: mid-June
  • Sleep timer: mid-June
  • Local music library search and playback: mid-June
  • Update WiFi settings: mid-June
  • Snooze alarms: TBD

Known issues and workarounds

"Sign in as the System Owner" error while updating products during setup

• Workaround: No workaround currently available.

Our latest update resolves some of the most critical known issues, but know we have more to do. We hear your feedback and are working hard to deliver the experience you expect and deserve.

Keith from Sonos - I just don’t know how you can speak of the new app like nothing happened.  Available Now - NO MUSIC!!!!   That’s what’s going on. When the hell are you going to fix that????  I sit in the Living Room and want to hear some music, but I can’t play anything.  I don’t know how my Beam Soundbar and two Play Ones are still working off my TV.  I guess you haven’t figured out a way to break that yet. 

Keith from Sonos - I just don’t know how you can speak of the new app like nothing happened.  Available Now - NO MUSIC!!!!   That’s what’s going on. When the hell are you going to fix that????  I sit in the Living Room and want to hear some music, but I can’t play anything.  I don’t know how my Beam Soundbar and two Play Ones are still working off my TV.  I guess you haven’t figured out a way to break that yet. 

What makes you think Keith has any say in the decisions made, or is in charge of fixing (or breaking) anything? In our zeal to dump on Sonos the company, let’s not lose our humanity by abusing actual people.  Especially those who by the very nature of their jobs have to tow the company line and always deal with you in a professional manner.  Let’s give them the same courtesy, huh?

What makes you think Keith has any say in the decisions made, or is in charge of fixing (or breaking) anything? In our zeal to dump on Sonos the company, let’s not lose our humanity by abusing actual people.  Especially those who by the very nature of their jobs have to tow the company line and always deal with you in a professional manner.  Let’s give them the same courtesy, huh?

Ok, then someone name the people responsible for releasing this unfinished, unusable piece of software. And who was the genius who decided my whole system should be available on the Internet?  Is this new app tracking everything I do on the app and will that data be commercialized? I don’t believe I opted in to that. 

SonoPhone

Not unless I'm missing something but if anyone knows how to do it I'd be grateful to learn

Ok, then someone name the people responsible for releasing this unfinished, unusable piece of software. And who was the genius who decided my whole system should be available on the Internet?  Is this new app tracking everything I do on the app and will that data be commercialized? I don’t believe I opted in to that. 

Exactly what is knowing who is to blame going to change things?  Do you actually think you ranting and raving against an actual person is going to be more effective than you ranting and raving in general?  Get real.  As to the accusations about your data being sold or any other scary conspiracy crap, there's a federal agency tasked with just that kind of law enforcement.  Call the FTC and give them your complaint.  They'll investigate, and will find a company not stupid enough to reneg on its very transparent and very public statements about sales of customer data.  

So stop the nonsense, and don't get so caught up with the mob which is wielding their torches and pitchforks with barely concealed glee.  Be logical, and make a decision.  Sell Sonos, or wait till they straighten it out.  Either is a good resolution, and are far better than throwing what amounts to an adult tantrum on a support site, and/or abusing the support staff in the process. 

Exactly what is knowing who is to blame going to change things?  Do you actually think you ranting and raving against an actual person is going to be more effective than you ranting and raving in general?  Get real.  As to the accusations about your data being sold or any other scary conspiracy crap, there's a federal agency tasked with just that kind of law enforcement.  Call the FTC and give them your complaint.  They'll investigate, and will find a company not stupid enough to reneg on its very transparent and very public statements about sales of customer data.  

So stop the nonsense, and don't get so caught up with the mob which is wielding their torches and pitchforks with barely concealed glee.  Be logical, and make a decision.  Sell Sonos, or wait till they straighten it out.  Either is a good resolution, and are far better than throwing what amounts to an adult tantrum on a support site, and/or abusing the support staff in the process. 

No tantrum, just stating fact. The app should never have been released. You can log into Sonos on the internet and your whole system is there, without 2FA making it a security concern.  I guess Google and facebook don’t mine your data. What has the FTC done to them, nothing. 

No tantrum, just stating fact. The app should never have been released. You can log into Sonos on the internet and your whole system is there, without 2FA making it a security concern.  I guess Google and facebook don’t mine your data. What has the FTC done to them, nothing. 

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/facebook-agrees-pay-5-billion-and-implement-robust-new-protections-user-information

https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/news/press-releases/2019/09/google-youtube-will-pay-record-170-million-alleged-violations-childrens-privacy-law

And yeah, it's a tantrum

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/facebook-agrees-pay-5-billion-and-implement-robust-new-protections-user-information

https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/news/press-releases/2019/09/google-youtube-will-pay-record-170-million-alleged-violations-childrens-privacy-law

And yeah, it's a tantrum

Says you. I am experiencing anger and frustration as are many others who usually sing the praises of the Sonos product, but it’s not uncontrolled and it’s not unjustified.  

Hello. I chatted with sales today with several points:

1.) The home page on the website continues to say “Effortless Listening.”  It is not right now  

2.) The App Store shows reviews for the app you can no longer get.   That is called bait and switch, I think. 

I also asked how they can continue to sell products when there is no guarantee the buyer will be able to get them to work with the app.  She could not address any of this and escalated me to Sales Level 2, so I am waiting for an email from them. All I am asking for is to make me a satisfied customer. 

In the meantime, today I filed a complaint with the state consumer protection bureau. They contact the seller for every complaint with 90 days. 

BR

Coming soon

So… the window opens for early June in a few days, is there a new nailed down date?

My playback on all equipment since the update now stops and skips the entire time. You can pause it, because I'm tired of hearing it go in and out, and then it just starts trying to play again while on pause. None of this started happening until the update. 

I’m paying for a Sonos Radio subscription but the app has me stuck in a reauthorize loop. When will you fix that? Will I get a refund for the service I’m paying for that I can’t use?

I’m paying for a Sonos Radio subscription but the app has me stuck in a reauthorize loop. When will you fix that? Will I get a refund for the service I’m paying for that I can’t use?

They should be comping you 3 months + for the disruption and aggravation  Imo. 

I have sonos arc with epson projector and apple tv.

No sound coming from sonos arc when playing on some of the apps like sling tv. On sonos app it says SPDIF but no sound is coming from sonos arc.

This problem started after the upgread.

Before we used to press tv on sonos app as a source and rhe sound was coming fine.

Not anymore.

So annoying. 

Please fix it and let me know the solution.

@LJG777,

Also in the desktop controller App, under the Alarms section, does the time/date show correctly for your Sonos system?

Yes it shows the correct time….

@LJG777,

If you have a PC/MAC - you can likely correct your system time with Sonos Controller Desktop App. Maybe that will resolve your date/time issue🤔?

Ok I’ll try that - I have a MAC - so should I open the WebApp - or the MacOS app?

@Ken_Griffiths  - Couldn’t find a way to change the date time,  FYI - this is what my app looks like...you can see Sonos Voice Control added - but when I click ‘ add a voice assistant’….

I get this sayin Alexa is already added (which it isn’t as it would appear in the above list)

What’s odd in your App screenshot @LJG777 is the Alexa assistant is showing as though it has already been added to your speaker - just wondering if you have some kind of corrupt install in your case. Have the Sonos support staff commented on that issue when you spoke to them previously? 

Both speakers came with Alexa and have worked fine for years - I have tried every fix under the sun myself - but when I contacted support they immediately said it was a known issue - ie the date/time needing to be added to the new app…….

Giving dates means nothing if you don’t actually adhere to them. My Android app in the Play Store hasn’t had a new release since the 17th…

This means your first two dates were completely missed.

We beg you, please provide the old app experience back. Many of us are having significant issues since the update and have spent thousands on our Sonos setups. I don’t want to wait a month for my audio system to work reliably again.

As has been said by lot’s of other posts, this upgrade is a backward step for many and you should have the old version available for those of us who have lost the functionality that we use.

In particular, we now have alarms coming on that we can’t turn off, I can’t use the sleep timer function that I relied on, I can’t see the battery percentage remaining on my Roam and Playlist are harder to find. By the way adding a notification when the Roam battery goes below 20% would be helpful.

The new App is slow and doesn’t always work first time. Give us an alternative.

This update turned a perfectly fine home sound solution - across spotify, a local music library and internet radio via TuneIn - much less enjoyable.

Falling asleep to calm music and knowing the music will automatically switch off? Gone. (not going to get out of bed, onto the laptop just to set the auto-off timer).

Easily looking up some music in my local music library? Gone. 

Trust in a SONOS to provide a solid and trustworthy approach to updates of products? Completely vanished. The approach taken gives the impression of arrogance and incompentence; I’m moving house soon and SONOS was basically a made decision to put into it. 
Now, I don’t know yet what I will put into it, but SONOS won’t be it.