The New Sonos App and Future Feature Updates

Show first post

1522 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Im very very upset for spending my hard earned money for a product that I supposedly deserve. I will never ever buy any product from Sonos again and will not recommend getting or even trying this to any one. I just really wish that I could go back and fix my mistake for purchasing this. Im so frustrated.

I almost want to say that but I would rather have everything working again. I have no music in the house at all, but I’m surprised that my Arc and two Play Ones are working with my Living TV. Otherwise I would be really pissed. I hope that doesn’t change here soon but I don’t expect that since the damage is done. I hope Sonos comes out with a quick fix here soon or allows us to download the S2 app which worked for about two years. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Dear Sonos: I bought your stock and products starting in 2018.  After the last update I have lost my library of over 309 cds and playlists.  I have since sold my stock in the company at a loss and now have 14 products that are worthless.  I do not want to stream music and pay.for songs I already own.  I want my music!! 

You really have pissed off a lot of people and forgot your original purpose that you were successful at.  Now not so much..

From what you just stated I am under the impression that Sonos now is going to want my locally stored music to place in the cloud and stream. If that’s the case I am disconnecting all my Sonos equipment and say goodbye to Sonos. 

The new app is absolutely terrible. I have been a loyal sonos user for over 10 years and the app has always been just fine. I can’t tell you how badly you screwed up a good thing with this latest release. Put it back to the last version and start again because you wrecked the sonos experience. The app is hard to navigate, can’t delete previously played speaker playlist widgets, glitches non stop, drops the network, etc. Please fire the developers who punched this piece of crap out.

Userlevel 1

The obvious solution here is to make the previous app version easily available on the Sonos website. I've just spent an hour with tech support, who can do nothing more than give canned "We're working on it answers." The Android problems are particularly egregious and have no resolution in sight. Time for Sonos to swallow its pride and admit that, for many of its most loyal customers (those likely to want more than basic streaming), the new app isn't working. Even the NYT Wirecutter has placed an editor's note on its reviews, which I saw because I'm already shopping for a new system.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

How about roll back to the old version.  Fix all the stuff, and then release it after June!  Make a dang headphone only S3 version if you must.  Try to win back some good will by doing it right!

Upgraded app and now can’t play or find any of my music. All Sonos speakers in my house are quiet.  

The new version of the app is basically unusable. Almost impossible to select my TV as the input for various zones now. Not sure who QAed this, but it missed the mark. I’m looking to revert back to the previous version which was straight forward and simple.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Now my local news picked this up 

Sonos boss sounds off on high-stakes headphones, app backlash (theage.com.au) [subscription required]

This is getting insane

“People expect us to have an app that operates more like Spotify, or Apple Music or Uber,”

Who?, I know I dont need/want this.

“and there’s been some bumps as we’ve gone through it. There was some stuff we didn’t pick up in testing, but we are working 24/7 to make sure we are addressing any bugs that come up.”

Bumps. lol

The new version of the app is basically unusable. Almost impossible to select my TV as the input for various zones now. Not sure who QAed this, but it missed the mark. I’m looking to revert back to the previous version which was straight forward and simple.

How did you set the TV as the audio input previously? Also why can’t you play the TV audio to your ‘other’ Sonos rooms🤔?

Userlevel 1

I was the biggest proponent of Sonos.   Sold my friends and family on going all in on Sonos.  

I use Sonos in 10 rooms of our house.  

with this new app-i just won’t recommend Sonos to anyone.  Or add any new systems myself.  

just horrible !!!

The latest app was bad enough based on the downgraded user interface but this morning, the entire system disappeared from the app.  No one in our family can access any of our ten speakers.  This latest app has been a colosal failure.  Go back to the previous version that actually worked!

Userlevel 1

Rollback to prior version of the app until this new one is fixed. Thanks.

I am over 80 and not into all this stuff but I have a soundbar on my Samsung TV that has worked for years - no problem Then suddenly for no reason it doesn’t. The Soundbar didn’t, catch COVID  - perhaps all the software developers did and started to work from home. The left hand doesn’t seam to know what the right hand is doing!!.

For good measure my Sonos music system has lost my playlists from my Apple iPad 

Other user suggestions to back out and start again to fix the myriad of other problems with this release would appear to be appropriate Maybe it would also be a good idea to let every user know by email what is happening 

Rayejb

@Rayejb 

It maybe best to perhaps contact/chat with Sonos Support via this LINK to discuss the matter in detail and see what the Staff can perhaps then suggest to resolve the matter.

Userlevel 1

Sonos is just a huge dumpster fire now. Can't add songs to the queue now?! Can't search my music library anymore? What are you thinking? SMH.

Not being able to manage networks is ridiculous. Moved and can’t use anything. Give up on this release and rollback until you get it working. Rollback now!

Userlevel 1

I found a way to listen to my Sonos speakers with files that were in my Sonos Windows Library.

The latest version of itunes works as a player.

Yes, the latest version of itunes with my windows computer communicates with my Sonos devices.

First, I copied all my music files from the hard drive on my computer to itunes.

Then, I clicked the small icon located top center leftish on itunes which allows me to see my Sonos speakers in a window.

I’m able to use the new crappy sonos app to group all speakers and adjust volume etc.

The itunes app also works to group all speakers and adjust volumes.

The SonoPhone app also works well as a controller.

One thing to keep in mind is that I’m using a Windows 11 computer and an iphone 13.

Not sure if other devices will work the same.

Updated by Tooting Jools: Update: I have found that my “iTunes Remote” app on my iPhone gives me full access to my music library in my W11 laptop via iTunes. So I have full access to my music on my laptop using my phone as a controller without using the Sonos app

I hope others are able to enjoy music again using their Sonos speakers.

Please, just take the loss and rollback to the last working version!

My iPad app updated automatically and now nothing works correctly. I chose a podcast we wanted to listen to and it ignored my request and played a different episode. Then when I tried to pause it and select the correct one again, it repeatedly played something I did not select. I couldn’t even use the pause button on the speaker, it just kept playing. I finally used my iPhone so I could use the old app, which is not update automatically. What the heck? 

When will the facility to downgrade speakers to S1 be re-introduced to the “new experience” Sonos App?  

For my setup this seems to be the only option I have to get me back to pre-May update functionality. My music library is on an old (but working perfectly) NAS, and without replacing it the new Sonos App will never give me access to my own music. Fortunately all of my Sonos components are still S1 compatible. 

I still find it incredulous that a worldwide tech business can release a seemingly untested product with reduced functionality that has trashed many long term customer systems. Why not bring back S2 till you have got right, instead of asking your customers to wait with a promise their previous functionality may be included at some indeterminate point in the coming weeks / months. 

Userlevel 1

After a few days thinking about this situation, I'm now convinced that this app was not launched early or had not been seriously beta tested.

This launch was a purely commercial decision because the new headphones were ready.

Whichever Sonos Product Manager that made this decision needs firing because he/she has made a decision that will have upset ALL of their existing users !

AS a Long Long time dealer of Sonos Products as a Audio Video Integrator, this App and its roll out has been extremely disappointing to say the least.  Not only have they alienated their consumer base, but we as integrators were not even given a legitimate heads-up or cut doc on the support/unsupported features other than “app upgrade”.  Now I have technicians installing current product blind being told by tech support they need to use their Laptops to update software on sound bars.  Why did they force the App when they knew it was not only incomplete, but seriously buggy and lacking.  Terrible roll out.  Looks like we will be looking for other options.  Not out of desire but out of necessity.

Userlevel 2
Badge

What would be better is an honest update, hold your hands up and say you goofed, explain why this has messed up and the thought process - you’ve launched an app that is nowhere near even an MVP and treated your customers as either fools or crash test dummies.   You need to rebuild a lot of trust.   Even now with a 100GB internet connection, after 3 minutes of waiting I just see an empty tray other than one of your ads - and even that is stretched?!!   

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Im very very upset for spending my hard earned money for a product that I supposedly deserve. I will never ever buy any product from Sonos again and will not recommend getting or even trying this to any one. I just really wish that I could go back and fix my mistake for purchasing this. Im so frustrated.

I almost want to say that but I would rather have everything working again. I have no music in the house at all, but I’m surprised that my Beam and two Play Ones are working with my Living TV. Otherwise I would be really pissed. I hope that doesn’t change here soon but I don’t expect that since the damage is done. I hope Sonos comes out with a quick fix here soon or allows us to download the S2 app which worked for about two years. 

Userlevel 2

We set out to create a more personalized and effortless listening experience with the updated Sonos app. It was rebuilt from the ground up to ensure it could support future innovation in the years to come. For its initial rollout, we focused on how we could answer some of the most common requests from our customers, including increased reliability, performance, and faster access to music.

Many of you have shared valuable feedback on both the improvements that have made your experience better, as well as the areas where we fell short. We are listening to all of your comments and working to address them as quickly as possible. Over the coming weeks, we will reintroduce the below features, while fixing bugs and performance issues. Thank you for your engagement and we look forward to building upon this first step to create a listening experience that meets everyone’s needs.

Available now

To access these changes, check for updates in the iOS / Android app store to download the latest version of the Sonos app. Make sure your Sonos products are also up to date.

Last updated: May 21, 2024. See release notes.

• VoiceOver on iOS now properly interacts with individual elements of the Sonos app's home screen - and now adds improved VoiceOver support for allowing for navigating and controlling the Now Playing Screen, System View, Output Selector, Queue, Volume Sliders, and Add Product
  • Improved TalkBack support for the Now Playing Screen, System View, and Add Product
  • Improved Local Music Library playback of folders
  • Adding and editing alarms with the ability to Search for content

Coming soon

• Continued improvements to navigation for visually-impaired customers: mid-June
  • Adding to queue and playing next: early June
  • Sleep timer: mid-June
  • Local music library search and playback: mid-June
  • Update WiFi settings: mid-June
  • Snooze alarms: TBD

Known issues and workarounds

"Sign in as the System Owner" error while updating products during setup

• Workaround: No workaround currently available.

Our latest update resolves some of the most critical known issues, but know we have more to do. We hear your feedback and are working hard to deliver the experience you expect and deserve.

Are you planning  on encrypting our personal music libraries to a “Sonos only” format?

We set out to create a more personalized and effortless listening experience with the updated Sonos app. It was rebuilt from the ground up to ensure it could support future innovation in the years to come. For its initial rollout, we focused on how we could answer some of the most common requests from our customers, including increased reliability, performance, and faster access to music.

Many of you have shared valuable feedback on both the improvements that have made your experience better, as well as the areas where we fell short. We are listening to all of your comments and working to address them as quickly as possible. Over the coming weeks, we will reintroduce the below features, while fixing bugs and performance issues. Thank you for your engagement and we look forward to building upon this first step to create a listening experience that meets everyone’s needs.

Available now

To access these changes, check for updates in the iOS / Android app store to download the latest version of the Sonos app. Make sure your Sonos products are also up to date.

Last updated: May 21, 2024. See release notes.

• VoiceOver on iOS now properly interacts with individual elements of the Sonos app's home screen - and now adds improved VoiceOver support for allowing for navigating and controlling the Now Playing Screen, System View, Output Selector, Queue, Volume Sliders, and Add Product
  • Improved TalkBack support for the Now Playing Screen, System View, and Add Product
  • Improved Local Music Library playback of folders
  • Adding and editing alarms with the ability to Search for content

Coming soon

• Continued improvements to navigation for visually-impaired customers: mid-June
  • Adding to queue and playing next: early June
  • Sleep timer: mid-June
  • Local music library search and playback: mid-June
  • Update WiFi settings: mid-June
  • Snooze alarms: TBD

Known issues and workarounds

"Sign in as the System Owner" error while updating products during setup

• Workaround: No workaround currently available.

Our latest update resolves some of the most critical known issues, but know we have more to do. We hear your feedback and are working hard to deliver the experience you expect and deserve.

Give me add to a q queue and browse artist and. Ross’s similiar artists and allow me to add tracks to a queue ……nothing new just what I had before !!!!!! Or I’m going Bose….get your units on eBay quick before the mass dumping of Sonos drives price down!