The New Sonos App and Future Feature Updates

Show first post

1602 replies

Just wanting to throw in my own $.02 about the local library thing. It was 90% of what I used the Sonos system throughout my home for.  I listen to a broad range of Podcasts, and once a week or so, I would cue up a nice mixed list of all the episodes I had downloaded through the week and enjoy going from one to another as I cleaned house and cooked or whatever.  Sonos has been silent this entire weekend, and the 8 speakers I have right now are nothing more than very expensive paperweights, and apparently will remain so for another month. Nice.  Just wow.

Thanks for the ‘upgrade’.

Yes, I can listen to my Streaming music services, but that is NOT what I used it for, as I said, 90% of the time. So now I can use it for about 10% of the functionality that I had grown used to over the last 5 years.

@Ken_Griffiths

I use sonosnet but all my devices are on my mesh router either wireless or via my 16 port switch and I reserve IPs on all my devices not just Sonos 👍

my 5g router is always in bridge mode 

I don’t understand, I thought you said you were using double Nat?

Nope the isp on 5g does but I circumvent it mainly because of the Xbox as it affects gaming but I have worked around it

I can only add if I had an ISP issue, then I’d just change ISP.

The link up-to and including any modem is the ISP’s issue …after that it’s my issue and up to me.

If I want to use any of these configurations…

• A single router (ISP provided)
  • Two routers (Double NAT) (ISP provided …and my own Router/Mesh)
  • Two routers (ISP provided in ‘bridge’ mode or ‘modem’ mode …and my own Router/Mesh)
  • Two routers (ISP provided in router mode and my own Router/Mesh in bridged AP mode)

I find Sonos works perfectly - my system also works fine on SonosNet too with any of these configurations above.

My current preference is to run all my Sonos products on my own Router/mesh WiFi with the ISP router in modem mode. I moved away from SonosNet as it’s 2.4Ghz band is too slow these days, comparatively speaking.

Somewhat irrelevant, the home is gigabit wired anyway (which I did myself years ago) and has 3 x 16-port gigabit switches, plus to 2 x PoE switches for security cameras etc.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Ken_Griffiths 

all cellular providers run some sort of Nat and I never said my speakers don’t work I am using 16.1 and listening to black sabbath vol1 on vinyl while I am typing this 😊

Just wanting to throw in my own $.02 about the local library thing. It was 90% of what I used the Sonos system throughout my home for.  I listen to a broad range of Podcasts, and once a week or so, I would cue up a nice mixed list of all the episodes I had downloaded through the week and enjoy going from one to another as I cleaned house and cooked or whatever.  Sonos has been silent this entire weekend, and the 8 speakers I have right now are nothing more than very expensive paperweights, and apparently will remain so for another month. Nice.  Just wow.

Thanks for the ‘upgrade’.

Yes, I can listen to my Streaming music services, but that is NOT what I used it for, as I said, 90% of the time. So now I can use it for about 10% of the functionality that I had grown used to over the last 5 years.

Others have mentioned a similar thing, but I can’t see what might change in a month as far as a local library is concerned as the Sonos plan there is focused on being able to search/index the local library that’s showing in the new Sonos App now.

If your library is ‘perhaps’ not available now, then perhaps check the library is being shared using the SMBv2 (or higher) protocol, as widely mentioned here in the community. See this link as an example, albeit it applies to a windows shared library…

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-and-music-services-229131/adding-a-windows-smb-share-step-by-step-6892060

Userlevel 1

What about adding songs to existing playlists. Seems like a basic thing you guys have skipped over. 

What about adding songs to existing playlists. Seems like a basic thing you guys have skipped over. 

Yes that needs sorting too, not that I personally use that feature very much, as I tend to create and store them in the MSP Apps and use my own .m3u playlists for local library stuff. I’m guessing though it’s somewhere on the Sonos ‘to do’ list. The priority though I think should be the accessibility features and voice over that some users need asap.

They didn’t just skip it over they left it out. They didn’t care to put it in and have only announced it’s probably coming back in a month or two. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Yes that needs sorting too, not that I personally use that feature very much, as I tend to create and store them in the MSP Apps and use my own .m3u playlists for local library stuff. I’m guessing though it’s somewhere on the Sonos ‘to do’ list. The priority though I think should be the accessibility features and voice over that some users need asap.

I agree, they need to sort out accessibility issues, their absence is a total betrayal of the users who need them.

I agree, they need to sort out accessibility issues, there absence is a total betrayal of the users who need them.

Yep, it would be my priority - and I’ll happily wait for the features I’m personally missing from the App, whilst Sonos undertake that work first.

Eventually got my ITunes library back into the app after allowing sharing access, but still have issues with some content not playing when using the iPhone app, will only play from the PC app. This is a mess of an upgrade. Please roll back then sort the issues.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I agree, they need to sort out accessibility issues, their absence is a total betrayal of the users who need them.

The App should never, ever, ever, ever have been released without them.  Sonos put out a very belated message about how important such users are to them but it literally proved such users hadn't been involved/had been ignored/weren't important enough to matter and they still hastily released the abomination they forced on us - while stating nothing would be lost in the update and it would be just like it was pre-update….

Eventually got my ITunes library back into the app after allowing sharing access, but still have issues with some content not playing when using the iPhone app, will only play from the PC app. This is a mess of an upgrade. Please roll back then sort the issues.

What are you using to share the library is it an http share via the Sonos desktop controller perhaps? If using Windows you need to upgrade the share as outlined in this link by the user @press250:

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-and-music-services-229131/adding-a-windows-smb-share-step-by-step-6892060
The alternative is to only use the Desktop controller to play tracks in your library, as it still currently supports SMBv1 and http shares.

@Mark.B 
Note the desktop controller App ‘may’ only work to play your library tracks ‘for some months’ too as mentioned in the Sonos messages and notifications (see attached).

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

While we’re making enhancement suggestions I have a few.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

While we’re making enhancement suggestions I have a few.

Apologies if I missed something but is your suggestion re-adding functionality that non-updated users still have?…. (and good sound choice BTW…)

I WANT MY MUSIC LIBRARY NOW!!!

@BVRBVR,

It should eventually look something like this (attached), based on the animated preview screens published on Sonos.com. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

@BVRBVR,

It should eventually look something like this (attached), based on the animated preview screens published on Sonos.com. 

Can’t wait for “eventually” to get here. 

Userlevel 1

+1 to all that has been written — this update experience has been horrible. 

I’ll add that the last thing I want right now is free shipping — so QUIT IT with the free shipping offers, unless it’s to send back all my kit for a full cash refund. 

I mean, come on — I’m logging tech support issues, and Sonos wants to know if I’d like fries with my pile of now useless audio gear.

This will be B-school case study material for decades to come. 

Userlevel 4
Badge

The main post mentions no workaround to the “sign in as system owner” bug. Does that mean there is no fix? I have over a dozen speakers completely unusable by the update - this is not acceptable. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I’m sorry, I didn’t read the entire thread but want to make a simple statement: if basic functionality is not ready until June, then *don’t release the app until June*! It’s not that hard, is it?

Is there any new product or feature release that made the release at this moment absolutely essential? 

This release is so botched that I expect an email from the CEO to all users apologising for neutering the functionality of their audio systems without sufficient warning.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

@BVRBVR,

Can’t wait for “eventually” to get here. 

I'm a time traveller and already at ‘eventually’…. (I didn't update and have core, been there for years, expected, why would a music app not do this, functionality….)

Userlevel 2

WHY did you break Folders?! What’s the point? Both the Controller and App are already the most user-hostile software I continue to use. Do you also not understand regression testing, so you don’t break existing function while “improving” it?

/rant

WHY did you break Folders?! What’s the point? Both the Controller and App are already the most user-hostile software I continue to use. Do you also not understand regression testing, so you don’t break existing function while “improving” it?

/rant

Folders (I assume you mean local library) are working, that’s if you are sharing the local library using SMB v2 (or higher). The new Sonos App does not support SMB v1 or http shares, by design, as mentioned elsewhere in the community.

The only issue I’m seeing is that some artwork is missing on some screens, but otherwise things should be working okay. I’m using an iOS controller in the attached example, but Android is working here too.

Userlevel 2

/rant

Folders (I assume you mean local library) are working, that’s if you are sharing the local library using SMB v2 (or higher). The new Sonos App does not support SMB v1 or http shares, by design, as mentioned elsewhere in the community.

The only issue I’m seeing is that some artwork is missing on some screens, but otherwise things should be working okay. I’m using an iOS controller in the attached example, but Android is working here too.

I’m not talking about the Sonos App.

The Sonos Controller is on the same machine and main drive as the Music Folder I’m trying to add to the Controller’s Library. When I try to do that, it says it can’t, with “(913)” appended to the message.

I get the same error when I try to add any subfolder of the main Music folder.