Skip to main content

We set out to create a more personalized and effortless listening experience with the updated Sonos app. It was rebuilt from the ground up to ensure it could support future innovation in the years to come. For its initial rollout, we focused on how we could answer some of the most common requests from our customers, including increased reliability, performance, and faster access to music.

Many of you have shared valuable feedback on both the improvements that have made your experience better, as well as the areas where we fell short. We are listening to all of your comments and working to address them as quickly as possible. Over the coming weeks, we will reintroduce the below features, while fixing bugs and performance issues. Thank you for your engagement and we look forward to building upon this first step to create a listening experience that meets everyone’s needs.

Available now

To access these changes, check for updates in the iOS / Android app store to download the latest version of the Sonos app. Make sure your Sonos products are also up to date.

Last updated: Sept 24, 2024. See release notes.

Last week we released a new version of the Sonos app for iOS.

As announced, today we are releasing a new version for Android as well.

iOS - (Released on September 19)
Version 80.09.05

• Improvements to setup flow
  • Improved performance when browsing content in Home and in Browse
  • Improved queue management including ability to delete, reorder and scroll
  • Added ability to set appearance between light mode/dark mode/system default
  • Continued improvements to the user interface
  • Added Trueplay support for iOS 18

iOS Service Pack - (Available starting today)
Version 80.09.07

• Resolved a bug affecting users with multiple language keyboards configured
  • Resolved a bug preventing users with VoiceOver enabled from accepting the terms and conditions during setup

Android - (Available starting today

Version 80.09.04

• Improvements to setup flow
  • Added ability to set appearance between light mode/dark mode/system default
  • Added setting to change the Alexa wake word language

You can also follow along with updates in this article: 

Another missing feature: you cannot change the sonosNet channel after the update. Need to restore this feature, my network is unstable and can´t find the way to fix it.

• SonosNet channel can only do so much to stabilize the network environment, have you explored other avenues there, like:
    - Do you have any other network devices Ex: Extenders or repeaters they usually create issues while in use with Sonos.
    - Do you have the unit wired in the router or into another network device? 
    - Can you describe the “issue / issues” a bit more maybe we can help. 

Okay, Sonos team.  I was HIGHLY critical on rollout, and I’m still not entirely thrilled with the missing features, but since I pulled the Boost out of my system, things have settled down and become as reliable as they were, if not better.  It handles switching between my installations much better than the S2 app, and the album art display from my library is NOTABLY speedier on my iPhone.  I mean, it’s dramatic. The app design is, so far, an improvement from what you had before WITH THE FOLLOWING EXCEPTIONS

1.  Queue management.  It remains wholly inextricable to me that this shifted down in importance.  Early Sonos (like in the 2011s) was FANTASTIC in how it handled adding and moving songs and it’s only gotten worse since.  I see the roadmap says June, so I’ll be patient, but THIS FEATURE IS IMPORTANT!!
  2. Local libraries - I have added new music but can’t rescan the library without a PC/Mac.  That, frankly, really sucks.  I appreciate that it is still technically possible, but not being able to do it in your app isn’t a great look.
  3. Sleep timer - you’ve been beaten to heck over this so I won’t do it again.  It’s sorely missed.
  4. Boost - don’t abandon SonosNet, please!  I have a LOT of speakers on the network and like keeping as much of the music traffic off my main network (to the point of plugging the NAS into a Boost) so as not to bog it down. I know the newer speakers are WiFi/Wired only.  I don’t like it, but that’s the new reality - but please don’t leave us legacy folks behind.  ALL of my major problems originally with the new app were Boost-related.  ALL OF THEM.  Please fix this!!

That being said, I want to say that I see what you’re aiming for and why the clean sheet was required.  I also now see why you HAD to ship it on a date (headphones, Roam 2).  I disagree with the approach, but I get it.  Please keep working to make the app better. 

This is why I have invested so much in your products - you try to do well and when you fail, you promise to make it right.  I have the basics now and it all works pretty well.  Keep adding stuff at this level of reliability, and you can count me as delighted and trusting you again.  I can wait until July now that you have the basics all working.

Feeling hopeful again - good job, Sonos.

Mike D

Just a huge backward step, received like the forced upgrade of kit a few years ago, only think that like Apple they only like new customers….

We set out to create a more personalized and effortless listening experience with the updated Sonos app. It was rebuilt from the ground up to ensure it could support future innovation in the years to come. For its initial rollout, we focused on how we could answer some of the most common requests from our customers, including increased reliability, performance, and faster access to music.

Many of you have shared valuable feedback on both the improvements that have made your experience better, as well as the areas where we fell short. We are listening to all of your comments and working to address them as quickly as possible. Over the coming weeks, we will reintroduce the below features, while fixing bugs and performance issues. Thank you for your engagement and we look forward to building upon this first step to create a listening experience that meets everyone’s needs.

Available now

To access these changes, check for updates in the iOS / Android app store to download the latest version of the Sonos app. Make sure your Sonos products are also up to date.

Last updated: May 21, 2024. See release notes.

• VoiceOver on iOS now properly interacts with individual elements of the Sonos app's home screen - and now adds improved VoiceOver support for allowing for navigating and controlling the Now Playing Screen, System View, Output Selector, Queue, Volume Sliders, and Add Product
  • Improved TalkBack support for the Now Playing Screen, System View, and Add Product
  • Improved Local Music Library playback of folders
  • Adding and editing alarms with the ability to Search for content

Our latest update resolves some of the most critical known issues, but know we have more to do. We hear your feedback and are working hard to deliver the experience you expect and deserve.

Not true, 

the alarm now can be set selecting only from Sonos favorites, and continue non showing the service selected.

Did not resolve the impossibility to add a new o resetted component

added in local Library the folder selection bus still non find enabled, and impossible to scroll quickly

Hope that now after the launch of your last product, can you switch to resolve all the problem that you invented

The New company claim may be less than yesterday more than tomorrow

With compliments to all’ the team, well done Patrick Spence.

Every time I start the app the app tells me I have no system, wait 2 mins and suddenly bursts into life, not really what i wanted from an upgrade….

Why not change the message to “Your Sonos system is up to date but not functioning. Pleas check back in mid-June.”

I posted this tongue in cheek reply because like many Mac desktop/iPhone users who use their local library as their primary if not only source for music, Sonos won’t connect with my Mac’s Music folder rendering the system useless. I’ve tried every work around posted so far and no joy, so I’m listening to my entire music library on my Ultimate Ears speakers using all the functions I want and thoroughly enjoying my music library. Sonos has made this experience so absurd that it’s now comical - hence the post above. Your results may vary.

Coming soon

• Continued improvements to navigation for visually-impaired customers: mid-June
  • Adding to queue and playing next: early June
  • Sleep timer: mid-June
  • Local music library search and playback: mid-June
  • Update WiFi settings: mid-June
  • Snooze alarms: TBD

Known issues and workarounds

"Sign in as the System Owner" error while updating products during setup

• Workaround: No workaround currently available.

Our latest update resolves some of the most critical known issues, but know we have more to do. We hear your feedback and are working hard to deliver the experience you expect and deserve.

Really? I think you meant “Our latest update created some of the most critical known issues...” Did it ever occur to you all to complete all the above before issuing the irreversible update? (ie before destroying a workable version of the platform?) 

Keith

as a fellow ceo of a software company I understand challenges of a new release. And have to say your note is tone deaf to how badly the new app is performing . No need to relist all of the problems.

As many other people have said, please give your customers the option to use the prior S2 controller now.   It will take weeks if not months to debug and fix your new app. Why continue to damage your brand and create unhappy customers by forcing us to use a sub par, non functional app?

thank you

david 

Keith

as a fellow ceo of a software company I understand challenges of a new release. And have to say your note is tone deaf to how badly the new app is performing . No need to relist all of the problems.

As many other people have said, please give your customers the option to use the prior S2 controller now.   It will take weeks if not months to debug and fix your new app. Why continue to damage your brand and create unhappy customers by forcing us to use a sub par, non functional app?

thank you

david 

I assure you Keith is not the CEO, and had nothing to do with the decision to release the app in the condition it is.  He’s a messenger.  The decision was made at an executive level far above the Development/QA/Support staff, and had nothing to do with customer satisfaction (obviously).

Okay, Sonos team.  I was HIGHLY critical on rollout, and I’m still not entirely thrilled with the missing features, but since I pulled the Boost out of my system, things have settled down and become as reliable as they were, if not better.  It handles switching between my installations much better than the S2 app, and the album art display from my library is NOTABLY speedier on my iPhone.  I mean, it’s dramatic. The app design is, so far, an improvement from what you had before WITH THE FOLLOWING EXCEPTIONS

1.  Queue management.  It remains wholly inextricable to me that this shifted down in importance.  Early Sonos (like in the 2011s) was FANTASTIC in how it handled adding and moving songs and it’s only gotten worse since.  I see the roadmap says June, so I’ll be patient, but THIS FEATURE IS IMPORTANT!!
  2. Local libraries - I have added new music but can’t rescan the library without a PC/Mac.  That, frankly, really sucks.  I appreciate that it is still technically possible, but not being able to do it in your app isn’t a great look.
  3. Sleep timer - you’ve been beaten to heck over this so I won’t do it again.  It’s sorely missed.
  4. Boost - don’t abandon SonosNet, please!  I have a LOT of speakers on the network and like keeping as much of the music traffic off my main network (to the point of plugging the NAS into a Boost) so as not to bog it down. I know the newer speakers are WiFi/Wired only.  I don’t like it, but that’s the new reality - but please don’t leave us legacy folks behind.  ALL of my major problems originally with the new app were Boost-related.  ALL OF THEM.  Please fix this!!

That being said, I want to say that I see what you’re aiming for and why the clean sheet was required.  I also now see why you HAD to ship it on a date (headphones, Roam 2).  I disagree with the approach, but I get it.  Please keep working to make the app better. 

This is why I have invested so much in your products - you try to do well and when you fail, you promise to make it right.  I have the basics now and it all works pretty well.  Keep adding stuff at this level of reliability, and you can count me as delighted and trusting you again.  I can wait until July now that you have the basics all working.

Feeling hopeful again - good job, Sonos.

Mike D

I STAND CORRECTED.  My previously scheduled automatic music library update is still going on each night.  So I can add new music just as before.  (Now let me queue it...please...)

After a week of the unusual punishment of being woken up by a rogue machine at 6:42 am - the Sonos team courageously showing me what it would be like to live in a dystopian future where the AI tells me when to wake up - I have been granted back control of my own sleeping pattern.

That said, I was starting to like the routine and comfort of not having to think for myself - maybe it would be better if Sonos decided when I should and should not wake up, a future feature perhaps?

Anyway, for now I'd say just focus on getting to queue and playing next back and we'll take another step towards iPod level functionality!

you have a dangerous mind - don’t give Sonos this kind of ideas...🤣

I use my app 90% of the time for simply changing the volume on my TV line in. Why does the new app literally take 30 seconds to load before I can do that? And even then it is very balky and delayed, making it very hard to simply change the volume. We should have the ability to configure the app to ONLY show the options we want, and if just TV volume only it would be much simpler. 

I don't trust any updates anymore. I got the v16 back on my android and disabled all automatic updates. Will check back end of the year. In the meantime I will think if I want to continue with sonos.

I’m pretty sure that both tech and business schools will be using this SONOS debacle in classrooms for years to come.  

In an overall marketplace where businesses want long term relationships with customers, and who very much appreciate and respect the investment customers make in that business’ products, it’s hard to fathom a one that replaces, one already buggy software system, with one that INTENTIONALLY removes MAJOR functionality for most of their customers.   No warning, no compassion, and absolutely no internal corporate strategy/coordination/planning.    Think about it: SONOS products let people play their music on a good sounding system.  So why, in ANY universe, would it make sense to intentionally take away their customer’s ability to access the very music they have building now for years and years, and try to spin that like it’s some kind of a “plus?”

Kind of a big assumption that music lovers, who’ve paid in many cases, thousands for SONOS speakers, and additional thousands for their music libraries, won’t mind taking away their libraries, right?

I’m pretty sure that both tech and business schools will be using this SONOS debacle in classrooms for years to come.  

In an overall marketplace where businesses want long term relationships with customers, and who very much appreciate and respect the investment customers make in that business’ products, it’s hard to fathom a one that replaces, one already buggy software system, with one that INTENTIONALLY removes MAJOR functionality for most of their customers.   No warning, no compassion, and absolutely no internal corporate strategy/coordination/planning.    Think about it: SONOS products let people play their music on a good sounding system.  So why, in ANY universe, would it make sense to intentionally take away their customer’s ability to access the very music they have building now for years and years, and try to spin that like it’s some kind of a “plus?”

Kind of a big assumption that music lovers, who’ve paid in many cases, thousands for SONOS speakers, and additional thousands for their music libraries, won’t mind taking away their libraries, right?

Why is this argument still being trotted out, even now ??  Yeah I get that there now many thousands of posts to wade through but it doesn’t take long to scratch under the surface to find out what has gone on.

the app has been rewritten from the ground up.  Local libraries haven’t been removed for ANYONE.  Some local library functionality (such as configuring the network location and local libraries search have not yet been implemented in the rewritten app.  But we already have very short timescales for these to be added back in.  This is categorically not the same as somebody sitting down snd specifically removing that function as they were not in the new app to begin with.

This has been complucated by the fact that SMBv1 protocol has been removed for reasons that are well covered elsewhere and also because some bugs have prevented some people seeing their library some of the time.  But just to be clear — this is not *** IS NOT *** the same thing at all as saying that local libraries have been removed.  

Can we put this one to rest now, please ?

INTERMITTENT ISSUE SINCE THE APP UPDATE:  A specific set of my Sonos speakers (a paired set of Ones in my office with a mini subwoofer) keep dropping out. A song will suddenly just stop playing over the speakers (although it’s still playing on the player). Then it’ll either jump to the next song, which may or may not start playing. I then have to close the desktop app. Close my iphone app. Some times unplug and plug the speakers back into power. I’ve also rebooted my router numerous times. This has happened to me numerous times today while working. All was fine before the app update.

I have a mesh wifi system (main Orbi router with two satellites, one within five feet of my office), two Sonos Boosts (one on either end of the house - one is actually in my office), a Sonos Home Theater setup in living room (Arc, subwoofer and a pair of Ones) and two Roams in bedrooms.

Any ideas on how to fix?

Glad to hear I’m not the only one! Have loved and been a massive advocate for Sonos, but this new version is truly awful - it has a mind all of its own - is that AI features introduced? Or just bad software development. 
The app now has a mind of its own, I don’t seem to be able to control anything - what is playing where and what volume - when it was all so beautifully simple. 
get a grip and please sort out - soon. I’ve got a big party coming up, Sonos the perfect solution for controlling what is playing everywhere and what volume - well it was, until now

Available now

To access these changes, check for updates in the iOS / Android app store to download the latest version of the Sonos app. Make sure your Sonos products are also up to date.

Last updated: May 21, 2024. See release notes.

• VoiceOver on iOS now properly interacts with individual elements of the Sonos app's home screen - and now adds improved VoiceOver support for allowing for navigating and controlling the Now Playing Screen, System View, Output Selector, Queue, Volume Sliders, and Add Product
  • Improved TalkBack support for the Now Playing Screen, System View, and Add Product
  • Improved Local Music Library playback of folders
  • Adding and editing alarms with the ability to Search for content

Not true, 

the alarm now can be set selecting only from Sonos favorites, and continue non showing the service selected.

Did not resolve the impossibility to add a new o resetted component

added in local Library the folder selection bus still non find enabled, and impossible to scroll quickly

Hope that now after the launch of your last product, can you switch to resolve all the problem that you invented

The New company claim may be less than yesterday more than tomorrow

With compliments to all’ the team, well done Patrick Spence.

MIRACLE

With the last update after only 3 Hours from previous, a was a le to reconnect to factory restored play3,

also the selected source for alarm is show, not in the alarm list, but setting a specific alarm but now you can select only fron Sonos favorits, what happens if I remove radio from favorit?

all’ the other issue remain.

Please insert the funcion that enable  the transfer to s1, 

I should add that my integration/access to Spotify and ease of playing my playlists is destroyed- that’s where all my music is - no party then!

My Sonos alarms are set for 8pm, and instead they come on at 4pm. What the … it’s almost like the Sonos app thinks we’re on a different time standard, and it’s set to UTC regardless what time user has.

Any updates on what they are doing to fix the issues with hardware not connecting? Is the Boost (Sononet) no longer going to be supported?

Cute headphones. But how about letting us play songs? 

Any updates on what they are doing to fix the issues with hardware not connecting? Is the Boost (Sononet) no longer going to be supported?

I have two Boosts on my system. I put them on because the speakers were interfering with my Orbi mesh wifi system. Wondering the same thing now that I’m having intermittent connectivity issues since the app update. Are the Boosts and Sononet still a thing? Should I remove the Boosts? Is that the problem?

I have two Boosts on my system. I put them on because the speakers were interfering with my Orbi mesh wifi system. Wondering the same thing now that I’m having intermittent connectivity issues since the app update. Are the Boosts and Sononet still a thing? Should I remove the Boosts? Is that the problem?

My Boost is still showing as working (by looking on my actual Router web page), so I think they still do work even though they don’t show in the app. Very confusing though I agree. I would like Sonos to confirm this.

Sonos is making a mess of it. They should have introduced a parallel version of the new app software instead of using the owners as guinea pigs.

The convenience and stability that Sonos has made its name with can no longer be taken for granted.  

I will no longer buy Sonos speakers and will gradually switch to another system.