"Sonos was unable to add the music folder"

• 12 August 2013
  • 57 replies

Hi Just installed Sonos and can stream radio etc fine. However I can't seem to add folders to my music Library. I'm trying to add a music folder that's on my internal hardrive and I keep getting the message "Sonos was unable to add the music folder, Reason: The computer "BATEMAN-Laptop" cannot be found. Thanks, Matt

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

57 replies

I started getting the message "Sonos was unable to add the music folder. Reason: The computer refused to let Sonos access it." yesterday. I don't know how to fix it. Please advise me. I am using Windows 10 64-bit and my music folder is g:/Sonos.
I had this issue recently, disabled all firewall and all went ok
Just wanted to add my 2 cents...

My free "Avast Anti-Virus" was the culprit.  The Sonos support tech took control and tried all sorts of things, but it required uninstalling the Avast, then adding my music library.  This time it worked!  After my music was indexed (added), we re-installed Avast and now everything works as advertised.

Keeping my fingers crossed..

You can always rely on the Sonos Support team to make a vast difference.

I can hear the groans from here.....
Just wanted to add my 2 cents...

My free "Avast Anti-Virus" was the culprit.  The Sonos support tech took control and tried all sorts of things, but it required uninstalling the Avast, then adding my music library.  This time it worked!  After my music was indexed (added), we re-installed Avast and now everything works as advertised.

Keeping my fingers crossed..
Dear all,

apparently I solved this problem by following these steps:

- go to system preferences
- go to sharing
- enable file sharing
- then, go to options…
- enable share files and folders using SMB (windows)
- enable an account, you have to enter your password
- then click done, close sharing, close preferences

this worked for me. Hopefully it will work for you.

You little genius!!! Worked for me too!
Am also having problem with music library on Mini Mac running Yosemite 10.10.1. Suggestions ?

Hi Larry.  This probably isn't the solution you are looking for, but assuming this is an external drive that connects to your PC that's just not a great way to store your music for Sonos.  I'd suggest getting a cheap NAS drive to connect to your router instead.  (If you want your music to be portable too it's not hard to keep the two drives in sync.)
Have had this issue every time I unplug an external drive that has a music library on it and try to have SONOS locate the library on my computer.  Recycling my router and SONOS device ALWAYS fixes it.  Shouldn't be this way but it does quickly fix the problem and I love my SONOS system.  Sony sound bars??!!  Only SONOS keeps every room I play music in perfectly in sync with no echo.  A home filled with music and it's all easily accessible.  If that's what you want nobody else does it.  Can't replace that...  Wish they would address this sync problem though with the router...
The Controller is IMHO - not the hardware, the Play1's I have are nice little units. I have tried all the suggestions in this thread and elsewhere. Thought I'd cracked it a few posts back but it's being a right royal PITA again and refusing to even connect to my MacBook or to the Sonos 'players'.

I'm not alone in having issues with the Controller - these support pages are full of similar problems. My head is hurting from banging my head against this wall - just going to use my iOS devices to play music over the Sonos system. It seems to accept that route (in fact I'm listening to something now using my iPhone).

I recently replaced my hifi amp and will just use my MacBook plugged into it to play the contents of iTunes...

John,
I appreciate your input. When the dust has settled and I feel like tackling the issue again (once my blood pressure has dropped!) I'll send in diagnostics.
I'm frustrated with this small but important part of the Sonos system - if there is a conflict with my MacBook and or wifi network and Sonos then why does it work some of the time?
You'd expect it to refuse to 'play' completely yet I could go for days with no problems. And I've checked the 'usual suspects' and nothing has leapt out to say "It's me!!!"

So....

...as I wrote this, I thought, "let's give it one more go" (as I can't submit diagnostics if the Controller isn't working?). Lo and behold, after trying unsuccessfully for a good part of yesterday afternoon and evening to get the Controller to even find any components, let alone my Library, I opened the Controller and it has recognised the Sonos system and is now indexing my Library!!!

âś“
"This controller is now connected to your system"

And it is now playing the contents of my MacBook iTunes library...

I'll give it a chance to 'rebuild' any activity log for the diagnostics then will contact Support..

Thanks.
The Controller is IMHO - not the hardware, the Play1's I have are nice little units. I have tried all the suggestions in this thread and elsewhere. Thought I'd cracked it a few posts back but it's being a right royal PITA again and refusing to even connect to my MacBook or to the Sonos 'players'.

I'm not alone in having issues with the Controller - these support pages are full of similar problems. My head is hurting from banging my head against this wall - just going to use my iOS devices to play music over the Sonos system. It seems to accept that route (in fact I'm listening to something now using my iPhone).

I recently replaced my hifi amp and will just use my MacBook plugged into it to play the contents of iTunes...

Hi Bob.  I don't think the original point of my post is changed.  Why have you been banging your head against a wall trying to fix this instead of getting Sonos Support to look at what is going wrong with YOUR system.  Yes there are others on this forum with similar issues, but judging Sonos on that basis is like judging the health of a nation by the people in its hospitals.

And I suspect you are missing the point in blaming the Controller for Mac, although I don't have enough info to be sure.  It sounds like a problem in the way your MacBook is connecting to Sonos. 

The most robust solution, with many other advantages, is to have your iTunes library on a NAS drive anyway, but I doubt that you have to go down that route.

I urge you to call Sonos Support, and will now butt out.

Hi Bob.  Sorry to hear of your problems, but have you tried submitting a diagnostic to Sonos Support?  Sonos isn't (IMHO) a POS.  If you don't seek the help that's freely offered how do expect to resolve an issue?  Is your Mac with iTunes connected wirelessly to your network?  If so then wireless interference may be the issue. But if you get Sonos support involved they will most likely resolve the issue.  I hope so.
I give up.

The controller on my Macbook Pro is now constantly losing the connection to my iTunes library. One minute it is there - next an error message. I can stream internet music all the time.
I don't have the will or inclination to try and make this POS work with my MB library anymore.

Use my iPhone or iPad as the source for the music and it works without a problem.

Fed up and out of here...
Userlevel 1
I had this problem on my Mac, and here's how I fixed it:

System Prefs-->Security & Privacy.  Click the lock to make changes on your Firewall, go to Firewall Options.  Scroll down to "netbiosd" and make sure it is set to allow incoming connections.  If "netbiosd" isn't in the list, simply add it.

Try adding your library again.
Am also having problem with music library on Mini Mac running Yosemite 10.10.1. Suggestions ?

no sub folders.....
root only..... \\mydrive\music
Dear all,

- go to sharing
- enable file sharing
- then, go to options…

This worked for me!  Had the "icant find Mac" error when adding the library.  Once I did this it was OK!
Thanks! My Sonos system freaked out yesterday and lost the music library. I tried pointing it to the mapped drive (NAS) under My Computer and it failed. Based on your suggestion I pointed to the NAS under Networks and it's loading instead of getting an error message.

only got it to work slaving an old mac book not running yosemite. fyi

mate i havent figured it. play perfect flac from samsung phone. but cant add the folder from my yosemite mac. what a downer
have you resolved this problem?  Same problem here.
didn't  work for me.
I had the same problem on a PC with Windows 7 64 bit. I solved it by sharing my Music folder manually (added Read permissions to Everyone and disabled password settings because in my local network I'm safe with such settings) and then entering full IP and path to it in Sonos Music Library Settings. It looks like this:
\\192.168.1.2\music
And it works.
It seems, for some reason in some specific occasions Sonos device cannot resolve Windows computer name to its IP address, that's why you might need it to enter it manually. This solution has some drawbacks: IP address might change if you happen to restart your home router and you'll have to readd your library again with new IP. But I think this should rarely happen. To be sure, you can configure your main media sharing computer to have static IP with your router, if you know how to do it.
Badge
I have enabled all of the sharing in the preferences and this still is not working on 10.10.1. Any news?
Hi All,

I've been wrestling with this for some hours now too. I'm completely new to Sonos, and was unable to set up my music for the first time. I'm running on an old Macbook with OSX 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard). I tried disabling my firewall (didn't work) and set up the firewall following the Sonos instructions (didn't work). Tried Jero's advice above (didn't work), but then, returning to File Sharing, I right clicked the 'Music' folder (which I had added to the Shared Folders list), and clicked 'Apply Permissions to Enclosed Items'. After doing this, I've managed to get the Sonos working.

Not sure if this will be the end of my troubles, but thought I'd share in case it helps someone else..
Dear all,

- go to sharing
- enable file sharing
- then, go to options…