"Sonos was unable to add the music folder"

• 12 August 2013
  • 57 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

57 replies

Having similar problems with locating my iTunes Library on my MacbookPro (10.8.5). Sonos worked fine until the latest software update and about the same time I renewed my router. Numerous reboots, uninstalls, unplugging, just to get the system working again.
Streams internet music fine but try and add my iTunes music that is on the Mac and it doesn't want to know. On the other hand I can play the content on another device (iPad mini and iPhone 6 both work). Firewall is off.
From what was a problem free introduction to the Sonos system things are becoming frustrating. Thankfully have only invested in two Play1's and the Bridge was free.
May have to revert to good old hard wired technology and get a new amp for my hifi system and turn the Play1's into bookends...

Update
Having 'loaded' the "Queue" with tracks from my iPad mini and left the system playing for a couple of hours, I again tried to link my iTunes Library to the Sonos Controller on my MB. Blow me, it recognised the library and seems to be back on an even keel!

Odd......
Userlevel 2
I also have had numerous issues with the system. Every time I want to use it when we have guests over it seems to not want to work. I have several rooms on several devices hooked up and am way too deep into this to back out. I may have found this issue as there was an apostrophe in my computers name which is said to cause issues. I corrected this last weekend and so far so good but with all the problems I have had over the years my hopes are rather low. One thing for sure is none of my friends will ever buy a Sonos after seeing my system on the blink time and time again. In fact my best friend just went out and bought a Denon Heos system.
I'm having the same issue but I'm running OS X Yosemite as I'm beta testing it. Sonos may want to look into Yosemite as something in the new OS doesn't allow Sonos to share the Music folder I keep getting denied. I even tried manually.
not too sure what everybody problem is , i admit i had issues when i used Yosemite in the Beta version , but since the general release of the OS everything is working just fine , i have 2 mac on the network with their individual itunes library , adding them was a breeze , no problem at all .
I am giving up. Sonos is just not serious about making their software work. It is simply ridiculous how difficult it is to get their stuff to work. Sonos, it you will give me my money back, I will gladly return your equipment.

Apple users, you are better off installing an apple TV and attaching a sound bar. I have had excellent luck with the Samsung sound bar. For about the same price as one Sonos Play 1 you can have a _stereo_ unit _with_ a sub-woofer and none of the problems of Sonos on a Mac.

Sonos, your stuff is just a joke. You should have fixed this long ago.
Anyone know if there's a difference between "another location on my computer" and "networked device"?  They both appear to try to hit up \\hostname\iTunes for me.  Win7-64.

I wonder why if the library is on R:\iTunes it needs to know the hostname... and why it can't find it (I can navigate to both R:\iTunes as well as \\hostname\iTunes)
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Look for Firewall rules that read like "Enable/Allow UPnP / DLNA". Assure you allow incoming as well as outgoing. This is often disabled by default as Torrent clients use UPnP to get through a firewall.

If you are attempting to add music files from a network share/drive assure NetBIOS ports are enabled as well.

For Mac users, if you installed Bonjour the ports should already be configured correctly.
First, Sonos tech support was very responsive. However, I corrected the issue without their assistance. Which isn't to suggest that this issue is NOT an issue. It is a massive pain-in-the-ass issue that needs to be solved by Sonos.

Here's what I found in my trial and error ... 

Note: it's worth mentioning that I replaced my iMac with an MPB during this process. The issues began with the upgrade to Mac Yosemite on my iMac and continued with a brand new Macbook Pro. 
- I followed every single suggestion I could find on the Sonos forums and support message boards to correct the issue. None worked.
- Changing the computer name. Changing the WIN name in network settings. Did not work.
- I tried mapping the controller to an external drive. This worked. Then stopped working. 

What I found with the new Macbook Pro:
- I ported over Sonos and all the support files
- Sonos found both libraries - external and local folder
- but NONE of the songs mapped - which means that all the playlists I had created couldn't find either local folder because it was still looking for the old mac.
- I deleted both libraries in Sonos. Unplugged Bridge. Unplugged my router. Plugged back in the router. Plugged back in Bridge. 
- Relinked the music libraries.
--- With the new Mac Sonos found the local Music folder. (I turned off the external HD to prevent Sonos from finding the backup music folder.)
- Even after all of this, I found that all of my playlists were jacked up. Half of the library played without a problem and half of the library would throw an error looking for music on the old (iMac) computer. 
- This is when I realized that Sonos has a problem overwriting playlists (paths to the music folder). It doesn't automatically update the song pathing either. 

In the end, I went through the entire process (three times) of resetting bridge, resetting my cable modem, resetting my router, deleting and relinking the music library in Sonos, and then REBUILDING ALL of my playlists to get the bloody Sonos app to read my music library. 

And I have no idea where along the line any of these steps "corrected" the issues that the Sonos app has "seeing" the local computer or the music library. But the entire process had me angrier than I've been in a long time. Especially because the very first time I set up Sonos, it took five minutes.

I wasted days trying to correct this problem after the upgrade to Yosemite and subsequent set up on a new machine. 

Sonos. This is a problem that needs to be corrected. And while you're at it ... let's get Spotify playlists hooked up too, shall we?
I'm having the same issue but I'm running OS X Yosemite as I'm beta testing it. Sonos may want to look into Yosemite as something in the new OS doesn't allow Sonos to share the Music folder I keep getting denied. I even tried manually.
There appears to be no solution, and none forthcoming. I have stopped using Sonos completely. If you are a Mac user, you are on your own. The last conversation I had with Sonos was I needed to call them on the phone from my home during their business hours and then give them access to my Mac to fix the problem. Basically, if you want to use a Sonos, get a windows machine.
I have the same problem and I have turned the firewall off!! is there a solution?
Just upgraded to Yosemite. Sonos took a dump. Not only can it not read the library folder, but it doesn't even recognize the computer. 

Get this shit fixed SONOS.
Userlevel 2
John,

It has been awhile since I added libraries (and the restriction may have changed), but from what I remember, the music library can only be a "top/first level" node. For example, these are ok:
//myServer/MyMusic
c:\MyMusic

And these are not ok:

//myServer/first-node/second-node/MyMusic
c:\first-node\second-node\MyMusic
Using a PC and followed every instruction. I can add individual folder but not add the entire library at one time .
Well, as of the latest version of Mac Yosimite, the Sonos app now works. It now finds the default Music folder. Takes a while to index, but it's working.
Hi Gunnar, I have a Mac with Retina display running OSX 10.9.4 and I just can't add the music folder from my iTunes... I already turned off the firewall and I still have the problem. Please I need some help. I have both Play5 and Amp Connect...
I have OSX 10.9.4 and still can't add the music folder... what should I do??
Userlevel 2
I had a similar problem (after upgrading to PC controller 5.1). I have two libraries on an external hard drive, and one library on my internal (C:\) drive. The libraries on external drive played without any problem.
When I tried playing a track from the library on internal drive, I got a message that the file could not be opened. I (temporarily) disabled my firewall ... problem remained.

I deleted the library from PC controller, and then tried to re-add it. Got message that Sonos was unable to add the library.

Without boring you with the details, I finally found this page:
https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/266

I followed the instructions, and the problem was solved ... I was able to re-add the library, and play tracks from it.

I used the ERROR-900-fix.reg script (downloaded from the above-mentioned page), and I followed the instructions to restart the Server service (which also caused the Browser service to be restarted).

Hope this works for others having a similar problem.
Windows 7 64 bit. Same issue. No resolution.
I am on 10.9.4, and having the same issue
Same problems here. Sonos controllers aren't seeing the local file, or the machine in general that it is installed on. Can't connect with networked drives either. Regardless of security settings. I thought 5.1 was supposed to fix this?
This just cropped up today, win7 64bit sp1, music folders on one internal drive, three folders were added effortlessly at setup, another folder on a USB attached Drobo was added as well, now I can't any other folders and the existing ones are no longer accessible.  I've tried with both the windows firewall on with ports open and firewall off on private networks.

Sonos bridge via Ethernet on the wireless router, pc attached via Ethernet to wireless router, Sonos playbar and sonos 5 attached.....Help..
Userlevel 2
Yeah same issue here. We may need to wait until Yosemite is officially released before we can expect full compatibility and support. These are the risks we take running beta...
Userlevel 2
Yosemite definately a no go. Everything else works fine but no access to library.
I moved my music folder to a new user account on my mac so that I could delete the other user. I've tried adjusting the permissions, repairing the permissions, checking for firewalls, etc. and I can't re-add the same folder to my Sonos library. Please help!
me too
same here