Sonos Favorites NEEDS the Line-In as a selection!! It's easier for family!

• 21 February 2013
  • 64 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

64 replies

Just to throw something into the pot, I wonder if it has something to do with the fact that the "line in" option doesn't even appear as an option unless there's something plugged in? Might be a "logic" issue in the software, although I could imagine there would be ways around it. But I agree that I think it's a fringe case, although I could see some people using it.
I was just proposing a hypothetical situation that assumes you want to select the tuner without being in the room it is in so it needs to be already running. I only use line-ins for my reel-to-reel and my Nakamichi Dragon cassette deck so AutoPlay works fine for me.

Personally I would call that a fringe case. Probably also why this thread is over 3 years old and less than two pages.
I was just proposing a hypothetical situation that assumes you want to select the tuner without being in the room it is in so it needs to be already running. I only use line-ins for my reel-to-reel and my Nakamichi Dragon cassette deck so AutoPlay works fine for me.
I'm not sure you can call it logical to have a tuner playing into a Connect at all times. Who would leave something powered on and playing at all times just so you can choose it as a favorite? In addition, the line-in is meant for legacy equipment. Indeed, there seems to be more and more people using it because they are technophobes and are uneasy about transitioning to Sonos. Wouldn't the legacy operation of turning the tuner on and the sound comes out of the speaker seem more in line with those wishes, than leaving it on constantly and choosing a favorite?

But then again, I was just offering an opinion. Agree to disagree. Nobody knows for sure why Sonos does not include it in favorites, and probably never will.
I could see a scenario where a tuner is always on and tuned to a station that is not available on the internet and Autoplay is disabled. Having a favorite to select that source using a Harmony remote would seem logical in that situation.

I was just thinking about this as well... Harmony only allows you to add items in Sonos Favorites to its own interface. Since you can't add Line-in to Sonos Favorites, it is not easily accessible through Harmony controls/systems.

I'm fairly sure the reason Line-in is not on favorites is because it requires some sort of manual manipulation to get going, and Sonos already provides Autoplay to automatically get the line-in source playing on a designated speaker whenever it senses the source in use. So the option of "Put on CD/LP, press play/lower needle, choose room groupings" is not that much different (in fact it is easier) than "Choose line-in, Put on CD/LP, press play/lower needle, choose room groupings.", which is only a single click away from "Choose line-in favorite, Put on CD/LP, press play/lower needle, choose room groupings."

Indeed, with Autoplay you can get a line-in source playing without touching a remote at all, Harmony or otherwise, and since it seems logical that a manually attended source will default to playing where that source is located, I guess the "one-click" saved by making it a favorite is not worth the effort.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Please add my voice to this request. I need both line-in and playlists to be added to favorites so they can be used with Logitech Harmony.
You can add playlists to Favorites now.

I was just thinking about this as well... Harmony only allows you to add items in Sonos Favorites to its own interface. Since you can't add Line-in to Sonos Favorites, it is not easily accessible through Harmony controls/systems.
Please add my voice to this request. I need both line-in and playlists to be added to favorites so they can be used with Logitech Harmony.

You can add playlists to Favorites now.
Yes. Please allow adding Line-In to Sonos Favourites.
Please let us add Line-In as a favorite within the Sonos app to be able to automate it with Logitech Harmony. This would be so awesome and I think as you can see, A LOT of people have the same need like myself.

Please listen to your customers!
Badge
Also been wanting this for my Logitech setup for about 6 months now. This seems like the most basic thing to include and that it should already be there.
No, we don't have any indication. Sonos rarely gives any indication it is working on something, and even then it is only when it involves a major partnership.
Just went through all the updates with the latest 7.0 Sonos revision and, much to my disappointment, the line-in function is not there. Do we have any idea if Sonos is planning on allowing Line-in functions to be part of the favorites list? And, if so, when?
this post is 3 years old and still no line in as a favorite. Please, this should be a simple feature and would make it so Alexa can control Sonos through harmony. Huge feature that would make Sonos even better.
+1, i just bought a logitech pop button bundle and i cannot set a scenario to play the line-in (which I use with my home cinema)

useless
Just FYI, the lack of the ability to add the line-in sources to the favorites has just shut down the possibility of using the Sonos system in our designs. We were very excited to see that Crestron and Sonos had chosen to team up and were planning on converting all of our designs to use Sonos exclusively. That was right up to the point that we learned that the connect and connect amp were useless in the deal. Please add this simple function to allow us to implement your system into our designs. Thanks!
Badge
+1 for the proposed functionality

Due to the limitations of the Sonos API, this functionality will allow the Sonos CONNECT/CONNECT:AMP to be part of an automation "activity".
This will help massively in setups using Logitech Harmony activities, Echo Dots or even IFTTT actions.

Thanks and let's hope this feature get prioritized 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I agree with the needing to be able to easier access line in.

In your case Calforhelp your wanting to group speakers together more automatically (having supergroups would help here).

You already have automated line-in where your Airplay will automatically play to a zone and any grouped to that zone. A supergroup that included all zones that could be autoplayed to would be what you want.
I also created an account just to add one to this request. I contacted customer service and they pointed me right to this thread.

I need this feature for the same reasons others have expressed. I use the app Yonomi with my Sonos and Harmony Hub to allow my Amazon Echo to start and stop music throughout my whole house. Currently it requires many taps and actions to get AirPlay going in all rooms but if line-in could be set as a favorite I could simply say "Alexa turn on music everywhere" and my home would be filled with my AirPlay music instantly.
I want it. Like Bruce_28 I have a Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and can only use it to play Sonos favourites. Until Sonos enable this I can't use my Harmony remote fully. Please Sonos, your assistance here would be much appreciated

Thanks
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Why is this feature easy to implement? Who wants it?
+1 I created an account just to +1 this. Come on Sonos this is an easy feature request to implement. It is entirely vital for home integration/automation purposes. You obviously see the value in that, as you have opened Sonos control too many platforms. Namely harmony, I want to create a "airplay activity" on the Harmony that I can then trigger using a physical remote and Alexa. Using AirPlay is very annoying as it's presently implemented
Badge
+1. I just added an airport express to my Sonos line-in for my daughter to stream music from the music apps on her iphone. IT would be much easier to send her to favorites vs. line-in.

Setting a Line-In as a favorite would also allow me to set up a Yonomi routine to play line-in via an Alexa command. I am going to try to accomplish this via a Harmony activity but that is less elegant.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi everyone,

Thanks for suggesting we add the ability to use line-in sources as Sonos favorites. We will forward this suggestion to our development team as a feature request.

Though we can't comment on possible features we will be sure to make an announcement if we add this feature or start a beta test.