Sonos Favorites NEEDS the Line-In as a selection!! It's easier for family!

• 21 February 2013
  • 64 replies

Userlevel 2
Please add where we can use the Line-In selections as a Sonos Favorites! It's easier for family to select a Favorite than to know what Line-In means. Thanks!!!!!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

64 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
It would be nice to be able to instead of hitting Line In and getting options to just be able to put all of those options as squares on the first music source page (and name them what you like).  Right now you can give it a name but it also always carries the Zone name along with it.  I don't care for their to be a zone name - if I want to say the zone name I can type it in the name I create.
+1, i just bought a logitech pop button bundle and i cannot set a scenario to play the line-in (which I use with my home cinema)

useless
I could see a scenario where a tuner is always on and tuned to a station that is not available on the internet and Autoplay is disabled. Having a favorite to select that source using a Harmony remote would seem logical in that situation.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Harmony actually allows the option of choosing a Sonos Favorite to start playing when you start the "activity"... so one could set up a "Listen to Turntable" activity that automatically starts a Line-in connection if it were possible to add a Line-in to Sonos Favorites.
+1 on this. My TV is plugged in to line in on a connect:amp but I don't always want to use sonos for sound. Being able to select line in as a favourite would allow me to use Alexa (via Yonomi) to make the switch. Much easier than digging out a phone...
+5 Another reason. I have a Luton Pico remote for sonos in my kitchen. I like to listen to the TV through the line in input. The Pico remote for sonos works great for quick access to sonos. Unfortunately the source button on the Pico remote will only access favorites. 99% of the time I want to listen to my TV (football, UFC, etc..) while in the kitchen. For some reason that is where everyone ends up.
+5 Another reason. I have a Luton Pico remote for sonos in my kitchen. I like to listen to the TV through the line in input. The Pico remote for sonos works great for quick access to sonos. Unfortunately the source button on the Pico remote will only access favorites. 99% of the time I want to listen to my TV (football, UFC, etc..) while in the kitchen. For some reason that is where everyone ends up.

This is precisely why I'm adding my name to the [relatively long] list of people requesting this feature!

I have two ConnectAMPs (along with many other Sonos devices) driving ceiling speakers in my kitchen and in my breakfast room (normally grouped together) where there is a television output connected to one of the ConnectAMPs. I use Lutron Pico remotes in both rooms for quick and easy access to volume, etc. and they work very well.

My family isn't very tech oriented so it would be REALLY helpful if the line-in for the TV output could be added as a Sonos favorite so it could be quickly selected via one of the Pico remotes. Also, even though I am tech oriented, it would be a huge convenience and time-saver if I didn't have to grab a phone or tablet to select the line-in if the last thing that played was something else...

I'm not an expert on how hard it may be to implement this feature in the software but it's hard for me to believe that it would be terribly difficult or impossible.

Please, please, please Sonos, help us out with this long-standing request that's been around for over 4 years!!

Thanks!

Rudy
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi everyone,

Thanks for suggesting we add the ability to use line-in sources as Sonos favorites. We will forward this suggestion to our development team as a feature request.

Though we can't comment on possible features we will be sure to make an announcement if we add this feature or start a beta test.
Badge
+1 for the proposed functionality

Due to the limitations of the Sonos API, this functionality will allow the Sonos CONNECT/CONNECT:AMP to be part of an automation "activity".
This will help massively in setups using Logitech Harmony activities, Echo Dots or even IFTTT actions.

Thanks and let's hope this feature get prioritized 🙂
Just FYI, the lack of the ability to add the line-in sources to the favorites has just shut down the possibility of using the Sonos system in our designs. We were very excited to see that Crestron and Sonos had chosen to team up and were planning on converting all of our designs to use Sonos exclusively. That was right up to the point that we learned that the connect and connect amp were useless in the deal. Please add this simple function to allow us to implement your system into our designs. Thanks!
this post is 3 years old and still no line in as a favorite. Please, this should be a simple feature and would make it so Alexa can control Sonos through harmony. Huge feature that would make Sonos even better.
Just went through all the updates with the latest 7.0 Sonos revision and, much to my disappointment, the line-in function is not there. Do we have any idea if Sonos is planning on allowing Line-in functions to be part of the favorites list? And, if so, when?
No, we don't have any indication. Sonos rarely gives any indication it is working on something, and even then it is only when it involves a major partnership.
Badge
Also been wanting this for my Logitech setup for about 6 months now. This seems like the most basic thing to include and that it should already be there.
Please let us add Line-In as a favorite within the Sonos app to be able to automate it with Logitech Harmony. This would be so awesome and I think as you can see, A LOT of people have the same need like myself.

Please listen to your customers!
Yes. Please allow adding Line-In to Sonos Favourites.
Please add my voice to this request. I need both line-in and playlists to be added to favorites so they can be used with Logitech Harmony.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Please add my voice to this request. I need both line-in and playlists to be added to favorites so they can be used with Logitech Harmony.
You can add playlists to Favorites now.

I was just thinking about this as well... Harmony only allows you to add items in Sonos Favorites to its own interface. Since you can't add Line-in to Sonos Favorites, it is not easily accessible through Harmony controls/systems.
I want to use the new iPort xPRESS keypad to control a pair of PLAY5 that I to feed a line input source from a CONNECT in another room. Problem is it will only choose from the favorites list. I could use autoplay but that would make it come on whenever that source were active - NOT what I want. Sonos please update software so line input can be on the favorites list!
Userlevel 2
+1 Add my voice too for this option too. This needs to be included for the simplicity of using Harmony, Alexa, Yonomi, etc when trying to not dig out a phone when you can just set up a scenario and say it. Most of the time im making food in the kitchen, and don't want to touch my phone when I can just use Alexa to start everything. Plus when you have some of the guys over and see the home automation it blows their minds how technology works now-a-days.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Why would the "ability to obtain access to the line-in be lost?" The line-in source choice is right on the Source menu, a click higher than Favorites. Are you saying it is easier to click Source Menu->Favorites->Line-in than Source Menu->Line-In?
By adding a Line In connection to Sonos Favorites, it's three clicks/taps either way. Source menu > Favorites > Line In - Sonos Connect, or Source Menu > Line In > Line In - Sonos Connect.

Remember that the Line In source selection is a menu that lists out all available Line In connections on your Sonos system. Being able to add one particular Line In connection to the Sonos Favorites puts that single connection in with your other Sonos Favorites, making it easier to find a particular input, as well as allowing other devices that make use of Sonos Favorites be able to connect to that Line In as well.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I have been wishing for this feature for years. I can conveniently switch away from line-in to any of my favorites but then it takes more steps to switch it back. I have never understood why this was the case.
Userlevel 1
I'm another person who created an account just to ask for this feature. As others have pointed out, it's not so much about the convenience of quickly accessing Line-In while using the Sonos app, it's about the ability to have Line-In accessible through the API. I'm using Sonos in my home automation system and lacking this ability is a serious drawback.

Sonos, If you're not willing to offer Line-In as a favorite, please open it up in the API!!!
Userlevel 2
Sorry......please???
Userlevel 2
I've had several people ask what the Line-In means. If we can add the Line-In as a favorite, example, Line-In is labeled CD Player as a favorite, then it would be great!