Sonos Favorites NEEDS the Line-In as a selection!! It's easier for family!

• 21 February 2013
  • 64 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

64 replies

it's a no brainer! what a great idea
Userlevel 2
Added a Sonos today at an neighbors home for his deck/pool area and we added the cable TV sound into the line-in on the back of the Sonos. This way he can listen to his sport channels outside as well as Pandora, etc. The first thing he asked was, "What's Line-In mean?" All I could do was laugh. I named it TV Sound but trying to get him to remember to go to Line-In, then TV Sound was for some reason, hard. Easy for me & most but if we could just make the Line-In a Favorite, it would be fantastic! Imagine if he had several Sonos devices.
I just added a Play3 to my kitchen. I would like this feature for baseball games. I have a TV connected to a Play5, and when I want to go to the kitchen during an inning, I would be great to be able to go to favorites to turn it on in the kitchen. I have found a few good workarounds using 3rd party apps, but would still like this feature.
Userlevel 2
Title should read "Line-in as a Favorite". My bad! Really wish this would happen.
Definitely need this.  I have multiple TV's in my man cave.  Each one has its own DirecTV box attached to a Sonos box on the line in jacks.  Would like to be able to have a quick remote control type of favorites screen that includes line in feed and switch between them with one button click.  It takes several clicks today.
This would be specifically useful for AirPlay usage.  I strongly support this and would directly benefit from this feature.
Userlevel 2
Yes!!! these would be great. Then i only have to have my Favorites open all day. I don't know why this in not already this way.
Userlevel 2
Sonos has done some of the best work ever with these devices. Others are "copying" but we know the real deal having SONOS. If we could just tweak a few things like this it would be even more helpful. Please keep this under consideration on your next update.
Yes, please. I've been looking for this feature on every upgrade and beta and really hope it will be added.
Userlevel 1
I also really need a Sonos Linein to be a favorite. I'm using a Logitech Harmony Ultimate with a Hub as a remote control for all my entertainment. With this, I can set up an activity called "Listen to Sonos". When I press "Listen to Sonos" on my Harmony remote, I get a screen listing all my Sonos favorites. I can tap any of them to listen to that favorite. However, to listen to my TV, I need to listen to the Linein of one of my many Sonos Connects. I cannot listen to the Linein because the Harmony remote only lets me choose Sonos favorites. There isn't any way to use the remote to play a Linein unless the Linein can be turned into a favorite.

I also have the same problem playing my Sonos playlists. The Harmony remote only lets you play favorites, not Linein or playlists.

Sonos, please make it possible to make Linein a favorite. This should have Top Priority for Sonos because I won't buy any more Sonos equipment until this problem is solved.
another upvote for this ... I have been wanting this for a year. I made a request to their customer support, and they referred me here.
Badge
+1. I just added an airport express to my Sonos line-in for my daughter to stream music from the music apps on her iphone. IT would be much easier to send her to favorites vs. line-in.

Setting a Line-In as a favorite would also allow me to set up a Yonomi routine to play line-in via an Alexa command. I am going to try to accomplish this via a Harmony activity but that is less elegant.
+1 I created an account just to +1 this. Come on Sonos this is an easy feature request to implement. It is entirely vital for home integration/automation purposes. You obviously see the value in that, as you have opened Sonos control too many platforms. Namely harmony, I want to create a "airplay activity" on the Harmony that I can then trigger using a physical remote and Alexa. Using AirPlay is very annoying as it's presently implemented
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Why is this feature easy to implement? Who wants it?
I want it. Like Bruce_28 I have a Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and can only use it to play Sonos favourites. Until Sonos enable this I can't use my Harmony remote fully. Please Sonos, your assistance here would be much appreciated

Thanks
I also created an account just to add one to this request. I contacted customer service and they pointed me right to this thread.

I need this feature for the same reasons others have expressed. I use the app Yonomi with my Sonos and Harmony Hub to allow my Amazon Echo to start and stop music throughout my whole house. Currently it requires many taps and actions to get AirPlay going in all rooms but if line-in could be set as a favorite I could simply say "Alexa turn on music everywhere" and my home would be filled with my AirPlay music instantly.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I agree with the needing to be able to easier access line in.

In your case Calforhelp your wanting to group speakers together more automatically (having supergroups would help here).

You already have automated line-in where your Airplay will automatically play to a zone and any grouped to that zone. A supergroup that included all zones that could be autoplayed to would be what you want.
Please add my voice to this request. I need both line-in and playlists to be added to favorites so they can be used with Logitech Harmony.

You can add playlists to Favorites now.

I was just thinking about this as well... Harmony only allows you to add items in Sonos Favorites to its own interface. Since you can't add Line-in to Sonos Favorites, it is not easily accessible through Harmony controls/systems.

I'm fairly sure the reason Line-in is not on favorites is because it requires some sort of manual manipulation to get going, and Sonos already provides Autoplay to automatically get the line-in source playing on a designated speaker whenever it senses the source in use. So the option of "Put on CD/LP, press play/lower needle, choose room groupings" is not that much different (in fact it is easier) than "Choose line-in, Put on CD/LP, press play/lower needle, choose room groupings.", which is only a single click away from "Choose line-in favorite, Put on CD/LP, press play/lower needle, choose room groupings."

Indeed, with Autoplay you can get a line-in source playing without touching a remote at all, Harmony or otherwise, and since it seems logical that a manually attended source will default to playing where that source is located, I guess the "one-click" saved by making it a favorite is not worth the effort.
I'm not sure you can call it logical to have a tuner playing into a Connect at all times. Who would leave something powered on and playing at all times just so you can choose it as a favorite? In addition, the line-in is meant for legacy equipment. Indeed, there seems to be more and more people using it because they are technophobes and are uneasy about transitioning to Sonos. Wouldn't the legacy operation of turning the tuner on and the sound comes out of the speaker seem more in line with those wishes, than leaving it on constantly and choosing a favorite?

But then again, I was just offering an opinion. Agree to disagree. Nobody knows for sure why Sonos does not include it in favorites, and probably never will.
I was just proposing a hypothetical situation that assumes you want to select the tuner without being in the room it is in so it needs to be already running. I only use line-ins for my reel-to-reel and my Nakamichi Dragon cassette deck so AutoPlay works fine for me.
I was just proposing a hypothetical situation that assumes you want to select the tuner without being in the room it is in so it needs to be already running. I only use line-ins for my reel-to-reel and my Nakamichi Dragon cassette deck so AutoPlay works fine for me.

Personally I would call that a fringe case. Probably also why this thread is over 3 years old and less than two pages.
Just to throw something into the pot, I wonder if it has something to do with the fact that the "line in" option doesn't even appear as an option unless there's something plugged in? Might be a "logic" issue in the software, although I could imagine there would be ways around it. But I agree that I think it's a fringe case, although I could see some people using it.
For the Logitech Harmony people: You can add a step to your activity to select Line In. For reference, I do this in the last step of my activity after the receiver has changed to the correct input. Hope this helps!
+1 Add my voice too for this option too. This needs to be included for the simplicity of using Harmony, Alexa, Yonomi, etc when trying to not dig out a phone when you can just set up a scenario and say it. Most of the time im making food in the kitchen, and don't want to touch my phone when I can just use Alexa to start everything. Plus when you have some of the guys over and see the home automation it blows their minds how technology works now-a-days.

Since the Line-in function by very definition requires a physical action to start it playing (putting needle down on turntable, inserting CD and pressing play, turning on radio, etc.) the Autoplay feature should be used. That way, whenever action "X" causes audio to output to the Line-in, the Line-in source is selected automatically and the line-in is played on the designated speaker.