SMB2 (or SMB3) support must be supported NOW!

Show first post

281 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Oh, forgot to add, I don’t work for Sonos and I have not been quiet or kind to them over many of their decisions that have had negative impacts on me.

A 20 minute / 20 buck fix to a minor problem just doesn’t rise to that level.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Take the time to go back and read the history on this issue. I’m not going to re-do all the work I’ve put in in the past and I expect others feel the same just to save you looking it up.

I will sum it up quickly, Sonos has long used an unsupported version of Linux that they have manually patched with the bare minimum stuff needed to stay secure. SMB didn’t make the cut because it required a newer kernel that wouldn’t fit on the older hardware. Making it worse the newer SMB is bigger too.

There is hope but it involves Sonos doing a new kernel and that is mind-bendingly difficult. Then they have to port all their patches and tweaks to the new kernel. Then they have to do the applications. And finally when the core is complete they need to port the Sonos software onto the kernel/GPL base.

Userlevel 1

Come on Sonos, where is SMB2/3support for S2 hardware?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

SMH. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Do I think SMBv1 is a good idea? No. Do I think Sonos will fix it? Hmm probably not IMHO. Engineering decisions are driven by various criteria, such as number of customers affected (tiny), complexity of fix (low for S2 assuming the Linux kernel has already been updated and I have no idea if that has happened, high if not), availability of work arounds (there are lots) and risk of the security issue (debatable).

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

LOL!  Exactly. Defending Sonos for obvious reasons. Like I said, take a look at the boards and understand what Sonos’s customers want. Step into the 21st century and give your customers something other than SMB1.   Otherwise people will leave. 

I have spent $1,000+ on Sonos and love the platform but if you think SMB1 is acceptable, then I am out along with a lot of other people on this board. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I am giving my opinion based on over a decade of streaming files to my Sonos, after creating multiple commercial Sonos apps, after working with Sonos engineering in their codebase and after many years of monitoring this forum and it's predecessor. It's an opinion, treat it as you like.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

So why are you on these boards defending Sonos?  Sounds like to me tour an employee or have some sort of personal/economical interest. 
The only people I see on these boards are people pissed off at the fact that Sonos doesn’t give to shi.. about their customers IT security.  

“Droves……...take a look around now, Sonos is only getting a smaller customer base. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Few people play their music from files these days. Most use a mac or a pc for it, the percentage that use a NAS is even smaller. The percentage who use Synology is smaller still. “Droves”, lol.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I respectfully disagree. I have spent well over $1,000 in Sonos equipment and they won’t at least jump into the 21st century in IT security?  I am sorry, get with the program Sonos or watch what happens. People are going to leave in droves. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I just don’t see this as a big issue, a NAS (any Linux supported protocol) to SMB v1 protocol converter / gateway is a few minutes work and about $25 using a Raspberry Pi Zero W.

I’d really feel silly taking a bath on dumping my Sonos on ebay or the like over such a minor issue.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I think Sonos will be in trouble if they don’t fix this. Once DSM 7.0 is released, all Synology owners are going to jump ship. Most everyone I know that uses Sonos has a library they pull from on their Synology NAS. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

The refusal by Sonos to declare where they stand on the SMB1/2/3 fiasco is appalling.

The least they could do is tell us the official position even if it is that they are not going to implement a real solution then at least we know where we stand.

It seems from what some users have found out that older Sonos 1 gear doesn’t have the memory to run SMB3, but why can’t Sonos spell this out clearly and advise if Sonos 2 gear does have adequate memory or is it simply not possible.

I have been combing through this forum wasting too much time looking for an answer to no avail. All I see is wishy washy non answers from Sonos staff. Not good enough Sonos. Lift your game.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

S2 is not a new Operating System, it is a new user interface running on the same old, antique Linux Operating System.

The OS Sonos is using is from the early 2000s If I recall correctly. you can check in their GPL section.

If Sonos 2 is not an new OS then Sonos should stop stop saying it is.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I agree with the previous posters. Sonos needs to start thinking about security for its customers. If this isn’t fixed, I will be moving away from Sonos altogether. 
This is a dealbreaker for me. 

I am also affected. I understand that older hardware may be unable to support SMB2/3, but it is disturbing that SMB2/3 is not available in the Sonos ecosystem. Like others have mentioned, the S1/S2 split would have been a natural place to draw the line. Will be keeping an eye on developments in this area before investing further.

Today is a happy day!

I have decided to no longer accept the SMB1 security risk or the Plex route. The Sonos equipment is sold, and I will NEVER return back to Sonos, remembering the financial loss I made.

My new equipment (best choice in WhatHifi 2020 review) warns that in case the connection to the NAS does not work, I may have to switch to SMB2/3 !  Welcome to normal network technology, in stead of bringing one new device after another while bringing NAS users at risk.

Bye bye Sonos and fellow Sonos owners!

Oh ...and a ‘warm welcome’ to the user that purchased your Sonos devices.👍

Today is a happy day!

I have decided to no longer accept the SMB1 security risk or the Plex route. The Sonos equipment is sold, and I will NEVER return back to Sonos, remembering the financial loss I made.

My new equipment (best choice in WhatHifi 2020 review) warns that in case the connection to the NAS does not work, I may have to switch to SMB2/3 !  Welcome to normal network technology, in stead of bringing one new device after another while bringing NAS users at risk.

Bye bye Sonos and fellow Sonos owners! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

My perennial suggestion why not a Raspberry Pi as a dedicated to Sonos SMB v1 file server or cheaper, set up as a NAS (any protocol) to SMB v1 gateway?

SMB v1 sucks but getting away from it is not simple or easy for Sonos.

How to Pi NAS / Gateway: Live Journal

Badge +4

thanks… I may decide to just avoid it… trying to get another drive into one of my Windows boxes to host SONOS media… grrrr

(Scroll down)

[Update] (2020/12/18)

If you insist on connecting in an insecure way, here is a special version which is compatible with NTLMv1. Once again, we strongly recommend that you report this issue to the manufacturer to support NTLMv2. For details, please see Security guidance for NTLMv1 and LM network authentication. and I cannot access shared folders via SMB from a Windows XP computer. What can I do?

To fix the problem: https://community.synology.com/enu/forum/20/post/139200

Badge +4

I was very annoyed about the security hole that Sonos does not want to close!

In the last update of my Synology NAS, SMB1 was restricted. As a result, Sonos could no longer access the NAS music folder. Synology responded to the problem and provided an update within a week.

Sonos can take an example of how to respond to customer needs!

Since Sonos has not found a solution for years (no SMB2 or SMB3), I decided to sell my Sonos system.

can you post details about the Synology fix, would like to see if I can do something on my DS1520+

I was very annoyed about the security hole that Sonos does not want to close!

In the last update of my Synology NAS, SMB1 was restricted. As a result, Sonos could no longer access the NAS music folder. Synology responded to the problem and provided an update within a week.

Sonos can take an example of how to respond to customer needs!

Since Sonos has not found a solution for years (no SMB2 or SMB3), I decided to sell my Sonos system.

Really…. stop harassing met about S2, first allow SMB2 or SMB3 support for “older” hardware. 

If you mean S1, that certainly isn’t going to happen. S1 is frozen functionally, owing to hardware memory limitations in the older players.