SMB2 (or SMB3) support must be supported NOW!

Show first post

281 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Too much aggravation until I need it to keep the old stuff alive.
If I realized the wife had to have the CR-100 to use the Sonos I'd have done it back then.
I dread the day Sonos e-mails me to tell me to add my Zone Players and Play 5 Gen 1 systems to the junk pile with my CR-100s. I may have to go back and follow the example of folks that disabled Sonos updates to keep their CR-100s alive at that point.
Unless you actually have a need for the new facilities, it might be worth doing this sooner rather than later. At least you then have full control over what's happening on the system that you've paid good money for.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If NFS wasn't such a nightmare to support I'd be happy to see it instead of SMB now that the Windows need for SMB has ended.

I dread the day Sonos e-mails me to tell me to add my Zone Players and Play 5 Gen 1 systems to the junk pile with my CR-100s. I may have to go back and follow the example of folks that disabled Sonos updates to keep their CR-100s alive at that point.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Sonos has local library to stagnate (have they added any new features since 2012, maybe I'm wrong) and imo it is more likely they delete this than update it until they brick older players.

Its not quite stagnated: to avoid the SMB1 problem they stopped using SMB for PC shares, using a custom http server instead.

Deprecating SMB entirely would kill the NAS users, who are a small percentage of the small percentage of the local library users. PC and Mac local library users, who far outnumber them, would still be fine.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
We are writing summer 2019 and still Sonos only supports SMB version 1 for the Music Library share.

This is not acceptable.

A file share running SMB1 is extremely vulnerable to all the variants of cryptolocker virus that exists today. File share servers (NAS, Windows, Apple OS) can only support one version of SMB - so you cannot from the same box have one file share (for Sonos) using SMB1 and the other file shares using SMB2 or SMB3. This way Sonos puts each and every file share at serious risc - just because they don’t update their file share protocol to comply with this century.

And for the record - the “solution” through PLEX is not a solution. Unstable at best.

Some posters here provide good advice that you can deal with the issue by moving your music to a cheap nas such as an rpi.

Ive read the opinion here (posted by users who seem to know the big picture) that it isn't possible to update the older players (such as zp80/zp100, maybe zp90/120) to smb 2/3. So rather than cutting off older players they leave as is.

Sonos has local library to stagnate (have they added any new features since 2012, maybe I'm wrong) and imo it is more likely they delete this than update it until they brick older players.
In many ways I agree with you. I resent having to run a sacrificial NAS purely to support Sonos. As you say, the Plex approach for Sonos is very poor.

However, if it was a simple thing for them to do I then I suspect that they would already have done it. The more likely scenario is that there's a larger overhead on later versions of SMB, which could mean that older units would stop working (e.g. ZP80/90 etc) - something that the community would find very undesirable. Sonos do seem committed to keeping their own hardware running as long as possible. Also, they are not very interested in local files these days, as apparently the future is streaming.

I've been exploring alternatives lately, and found that you can use a casting app to cast direct to the Sonos device, using a media server on a NAS with SMB1 disabled. This doesn't seem as reliable/convenient as one would wish, but adding a Chromecast Audio into the line in makes a huge difference. I run the CCA into a Play5 and it can then be chosen as a source for other devices. On the AV amp I run the CCA direct, bypassing the ZP90. I'm still using the Sonos software at the moment, but this seems a valid back-up plan should my devices go belly-up. I don't really think that Sonos meets my needs even now, so don't see it as a viable option into the future - consequently, if the devices fail, then I doubt that I'd replace them.