PSA: DO NOT UPDATE TO THE NEW APP YET (list of issues included)

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Please if u have some issues u don’t see in my post, add them with bulletins, so there is a comperehensive lists for other users or the SONOS itself.

Device: iPhone 14 Pro Max - iOS 17.4.1

1.) If u’re trying to TruePlay ERA’s 300 in the NEW APP (80.00.04), and microphones are disabled on the ERA’s themselves, then the TruePlay process fails.This is due to disabled microphones. If i tried it in the OLD APP (16.1), there was a step/prompt that warned me exactly about the microphones e.g. that they need to be enabled, so the TruePlay could run successfully. This prompt is missing in the NEW APP (80.00.04). So if u’re having TruePlay issues, try to enable microphones.

2.) If u’re having issues with TruePlay not starting after tapping/hitting “Continue” button in the NEW APP (80.00.04), reboot your phone and it should work.

3.) If u’re experiencing some other issues in the NEW APP (80.00.04), they might be mitigated by going to “Account” / “App Preferences” / “Reset App” which will logout you out of the app and u'll have to sign in again and go through the initial wizard, which's gonna find your existing system.

4.) I also had issues with my existing Apple playlist. After hitting play, songs were skipped one by one and nothing was playing. NEW APP (80.00.04)

5.) The removal of surrounds simply doesn’t work in the NEW APP (80.00.04). Even if i’ve factory reset them, the process failed. When i tried it on the OLD APP (16.1), it worked like magic.

6.) Addition of new speakers (ERA 300 in my case) did not work in NEW APP (80.00.04) either at all, or it crashed during the pairing/registering/wi-fi wizard. I’ve spent approx. hour on Sonos support to achieve nothing.

7.) “System Settings” / “Manage” / “About my system” / “Audio in:” doesn’t display the audio format/kodek in the NEW APP (80.00.04). So for example, if u’re wondering if lossy DD+ ATMOS is playing or the lossless DTHD ATMOS is playing, at the moment u're out of luck. NEW APP (80.00.04)

8.) “System Settings” / “Manage” / “About my system” / “Sonos ID. ”If your ID is not displayed, try the “Reset App” steps and it could help. NEW APP (80.00.04)

9.) “System Settings” / “Your System” / “Room” / “Products” /  “Specific Product” / “Status” / “Network”. The input field is empty and does not display name of the network for existing products. NEW APP (80.00.04)

10.) “System Settings” / “Your System” / “Room” / “Products” /  “Specific Product”. Enable or Disable Wi-Fi does nothing / displays “Something went wrong” error. NEW APP (80.00.04)

103 replies

Since the recent app update, it’s removed my play 1’s as part of my surround set up. I’ve tried to re-add (it recognises both play 1’s), but I keep getting the following message:

‘There was a problem adding your surrounds. Check the network connection and make sure your

products are powered on.’

They are powered on and connected to the system. 

Userlevel 1

I wanted to get away from my large heavy components, cables and wiring, large speakers etc. Bought the Arc, Era 300’s and a sub for the great sound and ease of use. This new update takes everything that was good and makes this system just frustrating, and way too expensive for that. The true play is why I purchased the system and now it does not work. I am reminded of the Grace digital fiasco that I went thru a few years back and was told they were working on their issues and customer service was at the top of their priorities. Long story short I ended up with some very expensive paperweights. Not going through that again. Very disappointed and will part with this system ASAP! 

Bitterly disappointed. I’ve happily used my system without too much fuss even though I’m technically inept.  The update has rendered my system (Play 1s as surround, Beam on TV) almost unusable. Won’t pair; grey boxes telling me ‘no music queued’ even on TV; volume all over the place; can’t find a way to switch ‘microphone on’ so guessing that’s why I have lost Sonos voice control; totally unintuitive setting functions I’m not smart enough to work out/around; it simply does not do what it is designed to do. I used Bose before I invested in this system (admittedly a few years ago) and I’ll be going back if this is not sorted. I can’t bear faffing with it before I manage (somehow) to get the Beam to play sound on the TV. I agree with a previous poster… this is reputational damage, possibly beyond repair.

Userlevel 2
Badge

80.00.08:

Arc, 2 gen3 subs, 2 era 300s. Trueplay gets as far as waving/walking portion then stalls. Uninstall/reinstall of app doesn’t fix it. Also tried the play music trick for 10 seconds and still a nogo.

not working for me too… 

80.00.08:

Arc, 2 gen3 subs, 2 era 300s. Trueplay gets as far as waving/walking portion then stalls. Uninstall/reinstall of app doesn’t fix it. Also tried the play music trick for 10 seconds and still a nogo.

not working for me too… 

I stayed on hold with support for 2 hours and they pushed an update through that fixed in 10 minutes smh.good luck

After todays update I was able to finish trueplay process but I don’t see trueplay tuning button on trueplay menu on arc. Fives are ok. Do you have the same issue ? So I don’t know if it’s working or no 

My grumbles....

No sleep timer. 

Can not install Alexa, will not link to amazon just keep getting the spinning circle of doom 😭

No widget that stays on home screen to skip music. 

Userlevel 1

As of today the true play goes through the tones and the tuning, but is not working on the Arc, Era 300’s or sub. It still has the placement option for the sub which means tru play did not load. Works with the 5’s and there sub.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Check out this “trueplay not working” thread

Another issue I’m experiencing is having to constant log in between 2 Sonos networks if they use different accounts. I use a network at home and at work. They released a login fix in the last update. But unfortunately this does nothing when you switch between sonos networks daily. On the old app it always logged in to the account of that network seamlessly. Since my network at work uses a different Sonos account. 

Userlevel 1

The app lag is just unbearable, despite the update. 

• I have Arc playing tv but the app shows no music in queue and I have to kill the app or wait several minutes before it recognises the TV
  • Adding/removing groups to play audio just needs several attempts and takes minutes
  • Volume control has a massive lag and the slider keeps bouncing back to the original position

This system should work WITHOUT internet connection but at the moment it connects to SONOS backend first and then after a long pause it only starts to check local settings. It’s still an unusable hot mess.  

Sonos app update released!!!

it’s fixed my surround pairing issues. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Thanks guys for posting your problems and keeping this topic alive.

Thanks guys for posting your problems and keeping this topic alive.

Is there any news on any likely improvements or scrappage of the new app, does anyone know? 

The update is awful.   Everytime I use it, I have issues with connecting and controlling my arc-era100 and sub.  

Userlevel 1
Badge

Update failing on sub and arc no matter if wired or wifi and no less than 5 different error codes either.  Couldn't even start Trueplay because it said I needed this update

Userlevel 2
Badge

I still can’t get TruePlay to work on an iPad. Some users have been able to get it to work on an iPhone after the latest updates, but I’ve yet to find anyone getting it to work with an iPad.

Please if u have some issues u don’t see in my post, add them with bulletins, so there is a comperehensive lists for other users or the SONOS itself.

Device: iPhone 14 Pro Max - iOS 17.4.1

1.) If u’re trying to TruePlay ERA’s 300 in the NEW APP (80.00.04), and microphones are disabled on the ERA’s themselves, then the TruePlay process fails.This is due to disabled microphones. If i tried it in the OLD APP (16.1), there was a step/prompt that warned me exactly about the microphones e.g. that they need to be enabled, so the TruePlay could run successfully. This prompt is missing in the NEW APP (80.00.04). So if u’re having TruePlay issues, try to enable microphones.

2.) If u’re having issues with TruePlay not starting after tapping/hitting “Continue” button in the NEW APP (80.00.04), reboot your phone and it should work.

3.) If u’re experiencing some other issues in the NEW APP (80.00.04), they might be mitigated by going to “Account” / “App Preferences” / “Reset App” which will logout you out of the app and u'll have to sign in again and go through the initial wizard, which's gonna find your existing system.

4.) I also had issues with my existing Apple playlist. After hitting play, songs were skipped one by one and nothing was playing. NEW APP (80.00.04)

5.) The removal of surrounds simply doesn’t work in the NEW APP (80.00.04). Even if i’ve factory reset them, the process failed. When i tried it on the OLD APP (16.1), it worked like magic.

6.) Addition of new speakers (ERA 300 in my case) did not work in NEW APP (80.00.04) either at all, or it crashed during the pairing/registering/wi-fi wizard. I’ve spent approx. hour on Sonos support to achieve nothing.

7.) “System Settings” / “Manage” / “About my system” / “Audio in:” doesn’t display the audio format/kodek in the NEW APP (80.00.04). So for example, if u’re wondering if lossy DD+ ATMOS is playing or the lossless DTHD ATMOS is playing, at the moment u're out of luck. NEW APP (80.00.04)

8.) “System Settings” / “Manage” / “About my system” / “Sonos ID. ”If your ID is not displayed, try the “Reset App” steps and it could help. NEW APP (80.00.04)

9.) “System Settings” / “Your System” / “Room” / “Products” /  “Specific Product” / “Status” / “Network”. The input field is empty and does not display name of the network for existing products. NEW APP (80.00.04)

10.) “System Settings” / “Your System” / “Room” / “Products” /  “Specific Product”. Enable or Disable Wi-Fi does nothing / displays “Something went wrong” error. NEW APP (80.00.04)

Adding that I lost certain playlist and I can’t add multiple playlist to the queue. It only plays one at a time. I believe this has got to be the worst update malfunction I have ever experienced.

Add - using UTube music, can no longer shuffle songs. Instead have to physically click on each song one at a time. Ridiculous. Also lost all radio stations. Simple solution Sonos - just be honest say you have fouled up and revert to the previous app that worked ( not perfect but...).

I still can't get Amazon music to view songs. Any idea on fix?

Why does this need to update every single day? These are speakers. Can you please leave my speakers alone, stop breaking things, and stop making me update to use features that were already there? Holy mother what a pain in the arse product and company. I didn’t get these products from a store but second hand from a friend. I’m tempted to throw them in the trash. 

To avoid the horrendous publicity Sonos is getting, why doesn't the management just go back to the previous app and then if they really want to give us yet another 'upgrade' properly test it first so that it can seamlessly disturb users the least? It seems so obvious. I need my ability to shuffle UTube music rather than have to click on each song to play ( who has the time in their day for this - pure stupidity).

I have reverted to the previous app fortunately. Take the latest app off of android playstore now. And with two emails of mine now totally ignored by Sonos I fear that Sonos won't last much longer 

Badge

Why are system settings not saving?  Adjusted the EQ settings, sub settings and all keep resetting once I leave the app. Also I use night sound and speech enhancement at night, when kids are asleep, this keeps switching itself off, not even sure if it’s working. 

Why are system settings not saving?  Adjusted the EQ settings, sub settings and all keep resetting once I leave the app. Also I use night sound and speech enhancement at night, when kids are asleep, this keeps switching itself off, not even sure if it’s working. 

I thought I’d check this using my new Sonos Roam added to the new Sonos App and if I change the EQ settings of any device and leave/return to the EQ, the settings stay in place. See attached. ,

Maybe try a reboot of your controller device and just see if that might perhaps fix your issue.

It’s not surprising, lots of people are reporting bugs and issues that others don’t experience. The app is a buggy POS, slowly getting better. 

It’s not surprising, lots of people are reporting bugs and issues that others don’t experience. The app is a buggy POS, slowly getting better. 

It’s more likely the mobile device communication was interrupted in some way when trying to adjust the EQ on the Sonos product - I still suspect a reboot will resolve the matter. These type of things can happen with IoT devices, regardless of what App is used to try to control a device in such circumstances.

It’s more likely the mobile device communication was interrupted in some way when trying to adjust the EQ on the Sonos product - I still suspect a reboot will resolve the matter. These type of things can happen with IoT devices, regardless of what App is used to try to control a device in such circumstances.

More likely🤣🤣🤣 I mean it’s possible. But I’m not convinced it’s  more likely with all the issues people are having with this buggy AF app. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

I think you are spot on here @Bumper, perhaps more than you know. A wide swath of users—with a broad variety of setups from simple to complex—report issues with many different functions. And in the cases where a user has a ‘legacy’ app available (desktop app, v16.1 mobile app) the reported issue is not present.

One huge advantage of the ‘legacy’ apps is that they went through a decade-plus of debugging. The aforementioned broad variety of setups uncovered hundreds of exceptions and corner cases which were subsequently handled in the code. Over time, the legacy apps amassed these fixes so they “just worked” under a whole lot of different customer setups.

Enter the new app, hewn from a “blank sheet of paper” … and amongst the code tossed out in the name of courage* were the routines that handled all of those exceptions and corner cases. So not only does the new app suffer from the bugs endemic to brand new code, the new app suffers perhaps even more acutely from lacking the agility to run smoothly across a wide swath of users with a broad variety of setups.

* Sorry, couldn’t resist