No More Sonos for Me

• 3 November 2018
  • 54 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

54 replies

Badge
Ok - some small progress!
For clarification, I am using Windows 7 version 6.1
Sonos update pack 9.2, for Windows downloaded app program from Sonos.com
I did manage to connect one speaker (hardwired via Ethernet to new router) ok but when I tried to connect the 2nd speaker via Wi-Fi nothing happened. Yes I did power down and up the speaker as the Sonos video suggested.
So I disconnected the 1st speaker from the router and connected the second via the Ethernet cable.
And now nothing works and the menu has collapsed back to the greyed out one where nothing can be done or setup.
In desperation, i then uninstalled the Sonos desktop app for Windows and reinstalled it.
Back to square one now. Nothing is working
Come on Sonos - it can't be that difficult to change the router and get things working again!
I have come to the conclusion that the desktop app running under Windows no longer supports the hardware in any reliable fashion!
Please tell me truthfully if I am correct so that I can stop wasting my time
Badge
For Your Information all Desktop PC controllers of Sonos:
Finally, I got an official answer from Sonos Care and it seems my worst fears are true.

"Sonos Customer Care. In the last updates for Sonos those settings for Sonos has been removed from the Desktop Controller Program for Mac's and PC's. The settings for Sonos has been removed the Sonos Desktop Controller., and those settings are available on the mobile controllers. So in this case the Settings, and wireless setup, are available from the Sonos Mobile Controller.

When it was first introduced in 2005, the desktop controller was intended to be a fully-featured Sonos controller that could be used alongside our dedicated hardware controller. Now that smartphones and tablets make up the vast majority of how people interact with Sonos, we don't believe the desktop controller needs to fill the same role.

We see the primary role of the desktop controller as being a convenient way to start, stop, and control music playback and grouping while you're actively using a computer. This is how the majority of people use the desktop controller today. When adding new speakers or changing settings in rooms, most people choose to use the Sonos app, and this change reflects that behavior."

i.e You have to use a mobile tablet from V9.2 onwards to make any changes including new speakers,routers etc.
What happens if you do so but then go back to your old Desktop PC as a controller is anyone's guess, but I am about to find out.
For Your Information all Desktop PC controllers of Sonos:
Finally, I got an official answer from Sonos Care and it seems my worst fears are true. [...]

Not exactly the latest news...

https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/updates-to-the-desktop-controller-coming-soon-6813300
The screenshot I posted earlier was the latest. We all know that some functionality has been lost. You were clearly having a more fundamental problem with the controller not working at all. I give up trying to get you to understand that.