No More Sonos for Me

• 3 November 2018
  • 54 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge
My reason for buying a multi-room Sonos system was to enjoy my large PC-based music collection throughout the whole house. Removing functionality from the Windows PC controller makes this a lot less enjoyable because now I need to both use my computer and keep a phone or tablet with me all the time. I own 6 Sonos speakers now and was interested in upgrading to newer models, but now I've changed my mind because functionality is being removed for desktop users, rather than improved. Restore and improve desktop functionality or kiss my thousands of dollars' worth of business goodbye forever.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

54 replies

[...] This is Jay reaching out to you. Below I have answered you questions. I have also added a FAQ on how to add sonos to a new router below if you are unsure on that process. If you have any questions feel free to reach out to me by replying to this email.

So you need Windows 7 or higher to get all the usual options for desktop.
You can use the Desktop controller with the Sonos system but you will have to go through the inital setup on the new router with a mobile or tablet.
Unfortunatly the ability to add speakers is also limited to mobiles and tablets since software version 9.2.

As I said, you are not required to perform a factory reset in order to change WiFi settings !!

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/no-more-sonos-for-me-6814920/index1.html#post16284907
Replied to wrong poster.
Badge
Here is a second official confirmation received from Sonos about this issue with the mobile/tablet controller issue.
I am posting this because there is misleading advice being given on this site about how to resolve this issue.
Irrespective of my own problems and setup it is very clear that if you had a working system before V9.2 , you must now
have a mobile/tablet controller to make any significant changes.
2nd Reply from Sonos

"Hi
Thanks for your email.

This is Jay reaching out to you. Below I have answered you questions. I have also added a FAQ on how to add sonos to a new router below if you are unsure on that process. If you have any questions feel free to reach out to me by replying to this email.

So you need Windows 7 or higher to get all the usual options for desktop.
You can use the Desktop controller with the Sonos system but you will have to go through the inital setup on the new router with a mobile or tablet.
Unfortunatly the ability to add speakers is also limited to mobiles and tablets since software version 9.2.

Connecting Sonos to a new router:
https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1061?language=en_US"
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Thanks mrsgmz for posting that, I believe you. If your mum had never registered her sonos stuff, then I guess this would make sense that sonos would force you to do so now with 9.2
It seems some on here know better than you, even though they have not tried to do what you have done since 9.2.....
Userlevel 1
Reply from a second customer support rep at Sonos:
Thank you for contacting Sonos.

In regards to your issue, once you update the Sonos system using a mobile device, you will be able to use your Windows computer to control Sonos.
The Windows controller does not come up until you download the phone app and register thru that.Rubbish.
Userlevel 1
The system was set up, and after I updated the Windows controller, a screen would come up with a button to "Get the mobile app". I called Sonos customer support and they confirmed that until I downloaded the mobile app and registered, I would not be able to use the Windows controller. I did end up driving to my mom's (an hour drive one way) to use my phone, but this was an idiot move by Sonos to do this since not everyone has a smart phone or tablet.
The Windows controller does not come up until you download the phone app and register thru that.

Not true at all if the system is already setup, and even if it is not, it is easy to rectify by temporarily adding the app to a family member's phone.
Userlevel 1
The Windows controller does not come up until you download the phone app and register thru that.
I totally agree with you. I bought my 83-year-old mom some Sonos speakers and she controlled it from her PC. She does not own a smart phone. Now she can't use her speakers. Before installing this update, Sonos should have warned: DO NOT INSTALL UNLESS YOU OWN A SMART PHONE OR TABLET.

So what functionality is missing so that your mother cannot "use her speakers"? The only functions removed were the seldom used setup settings.
The only thing removed were the setup features. If your mother was using the normal “playing music” functions, nothing would have changed.
Userlevel 1
I totally agree with you. I bought my 83-year-old mom some Sonos speakers and she controlled it from her PC. She does not own a smart phone. Now she can't use her speakers. Before installing this update, Sonos should have warned: DO NOT INSTALL UNLESS YOU OWN A SMART PHONE OR TABLET.
The screenshot I posted earlier was the latest. We all know that some functionality has been lost. You were clearly having a more fundamental problem with the controller not working at all. I give up trying to get you to understand that.
For Your Information all Desktop PC controllers of Sonos:
Finally, I got an official answer from Sonos Care and it seems my worst fears are true. [...]

Not exactly the latest news...

https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/updates-to-the-desktop-controller-coming-soon-6813300
Badge
For Your Information all Desktop PC controllers of Sonos:
Finally, I got an official answer from Sonos Care and it seems my worst fears are true.

"Sonos Customer Care. In the last updates for Sonos those settings for Sonos has been removed from the Desktop Controller Program for Mac's and PC's. The settings for Sonos has been removed the Sonos Desktop Controller., and those settings are available on the mobile controllers. So in this case the Settings, and wireless setup, are available from the Sonos Mobile Controller.

When it was first introduced in 2005, the desktop controller was intended to be a fully-featured Sonos controller that could be used alongside our dedicated hardware controller. Now that smartphones and tablets make up the vast majority of how people interact with Sonos, we don't believe the desktop controller needs to fill the same role.

We see the primary role of the desktop controller as being a convenient way to start, stop, and control music playback and grouping while you're actively using a computer. This is how the majority of people use the desktop controller today. When adding new speakers or changing settings in rooms, most people choose to use the Sonos app, and this change reflects that behavior."

i.e You have to use a mobile tablet from V9.2 onwards to make any changes including new speakers,routers etc.
What happens if you do so but then go back to your old Desktop PC as a controller is anyone's guess, but I am about to find out.
You are running Windows 7 which is pretty old tech, although technically supported by Sonos. Changing routers is normally straightforward, and the Windows app works fine for 99.999% of users. Your best bets are to call Sonos Support as I have already suggested, and probably to invest $50 in a Amazon Fire tablet to control your Sonos. I hope you resolve this.
Badge
Ok - some small progress!
For clarification, I am using Windows 7 version 6.1
Sonos update pack 9.2, for Windows downloaded app program from Sonos.com
I did manage to connect one speaker (hardwired via Ethernet to new router) ok but when I tried to connect the 2nd speaker via Wi-Fi nothing happened. Yes I did power down and up the speaker as the Sonos video suggested.
So I disconnected the 1st speaker from the router and connected the second via the Ethernet cable.
And now nothing works and the menu has collapsed back to the greyed out one where nothing can be done or setup.
In desperation, i then uninstalled the Sonos desktop app for Windows and reinstalled it.
Back to square one now. Nothing is working
Come on Sonos - it can't be that difficult to change the router and get things working again!
I have come to the conclusion that the desktop app running under Windows no longer supports the hardware in any reliable fashion!
Please tell me truthfully if I am correct so that I can stop wasting my time
Yes, I downloaded the controller from sonos.com and , because I have been trying to get this working for two weeks now, I may have selected to connect to the new system because I thought that a new router would be seen as such.
Concerning your screenshot - I get nothing like this.
What I get is - a blank box appears maximised or minimised with no text or menu options whatsoever ?
Like (0)

This may sound strange but uninstall the graphics driver, restart the PC, and go afterwards to the manufacturer's page and download the driver installation file from there and reinstall it.
Well this is some sort of progress in that we have discovered that you don't have a normal, reduced functionality desktop controller, you have one that is totally screwed. The question is: why?
I think we have reached the point where you will have to phone Sonos Support. This is not normal.
One last question - which OS are you running on the PC?
Badge
Yes, I downloaded the controller from sonos.com and , because I have been trying to get this working for two weeks now, I may have selected to connect to the new system because I thought that a new router would be seen as such.
Concerning your screenshot - I get nothing like this.
What I get is - a blank box appears maximised or minimised with no text or menu options whatsoever ?
Like (0)
This is the sort of thing you should see.

Did you download the controller from sonos.com and select to connect to existing system?
Please would you post a screenshot of what you see when you have opened the controller ( and maximised to full screen if necessary)
Badge
Yes, I have one speaker Play5 wired to my new router and one Play1 powered on and wireless.
You said "Just select a room in the controller and try to play a station from TuneIn"
but I cannot select a room option or see Tunein options anymore.
All I can do with the controller menu now is literally just this:-
1) select mini controller - a blank box appears with no text or menu options
2)reset controller - which returns as "Sonos connected" - no room/setup data whatsoever
3)exit Sonos
that is it !
Are we really running the same desktop app for Windows PC/laptop?
Further note: I am assuming that you now have one speaker wired to your router and at least one other powered on and wireless.