No More Sonos for Me

• 3 November 2018
  • 54 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

54 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +6
I do (did) all system management from my PC, which is the admin hub for my entire network. I need to do it here because I have accessibility issues which make doing system admin on a smartphone especially difficult. i use the smartphone app as rarely as I can, mostly for pausing music.

Thanks a bunch Sonos. You clearly didn't think about people with accessibility problems one tiny bit.
Userlevel 3
Badge
I do need to restore and change my setup frequently, and now Sonos just made it more complicated because it will required two different devices to be used instead of just my computer. Since I'm heavily invested in Sonos speakers already, I will continue to use what I have but I am no longer considering a playbase, beam, or sub.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
I own 6 Sonos speakers now and was interested in upgrading to newer models

While the move to "PC is a player only, an Android or iOS device for controlling the system is a requirement" is a bad move, if you don't already own compatible Android/iOS hardware, you maybe just need to think of buying additional dedicated controller hardware (ie. a cheap Android tablet) as a tax. Sonos just got more expensive for some users, but if you're already heavily invested in Sonos (and six speakers says that you are), consider the per-room cost of maintaining your Sonos system, against the cost of an alternative.
now I need to ... keep a phone or tablet with me all the timeWhy? Are you carrying out system setup and configuration tasks on a regular basis? The PC controller is still perfectly functional for music playback control, together with library and playlist management.